5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2WD, 4WD low/high and auto

PM-Performance

Reaction score
When I need to switch modes. (After shifting to neutral)

Typically when I hit bad snow, or backing my boat uphill through grass are the 2 common times for me

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Auto if there's a chance I might need the extra traction. Where I live, that means rain or a chance there's ice on the road. High means I know I'll want the extra traction. Dirt roads or snow. So far the only time I've put it in low was to test that it works.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Good to know. I think I just got into the habit of doing this to avoid the clunks when it shifts.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep. You can shift at 70mph to 4-hi. The truck does the work for you. Every other month I’ll test 4-hi just to keep the transfer case working if I don’t get a hard rain to drive in.
Please don't shift into 4-hi going 70mph.
4-Auto sure, not 4-hi at those speeds.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ll shift into 4 auto during heavy rain with slippery roads. Also will use 4hi during those conditions if I want to get in front of someone from a red light.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll admit I have switched in and out of 4auto at 65/70. I've switched in and out of 4Hi at 55.

I can't get enough of 4auto. Love it in the rain or like theblet said...when you need extra traction off the line.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4 wheel auto - when for start and stop driving with wet roads when pulling a trailer or roads with patchy snow

4 wheel high - when roads are snow and ice packed or mild off road situations.

4 wheel low - when driving up my steel ramps to change oil. IMO stock Rams are too large and heavy with poor approach and departure angles to really drive in conditions that would justify use of 4 low.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tried 4-low once or twice to make sure it worked.
4-high sometimes when it is wet and don`t feel like spinning the rear tires like a fool when taking off the lights,
also used it on the beach couple times.
p.s. love my 3.92 gears and the 33 gallon tank. I drive a thirsty girl 😀

Users who are viewing this thread