5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd set of wheels and tires... TPM Question

danaiveys29

Reaction score
2021 Ram Limited
I'm mostly a city driver, but I do want to go offroad for frequent weekend vacations. I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to swap out Wheels and Tires for these trips; for All-Terrain tires plus wheel 192.168.1.254 s that I don't care about damaging. I understand the physical labor involved all too well; turning off air suspension, jacking up the truck, and then swapping out the wheels physically.
I'm curious about how the TPM's will sync up. If I just 10.0.0.0.1 have a second set of TPM's in the second set, will they automatically start working or is there a sync-up process?
Is there anything else that I should be cautious about?

Last edited:

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the 2nd set has an OEM set of TPMS they will sync in a couple minutes after you start driving. I have a dedicated set of winter tires on rims and just made the swap back to summer's yesterday and they synced right up but the Discount Tire folks used OEM ram tpms and said the ones from auto parts stores often produce errors.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the 2nd set has an OEM set of TPMS they will sync in a couple minutes after you start driving. I have a dedicated set of winter tires on rims and just made the swap back to summer's yesterday and they synced right up but the Discount Tire folks used OEM ram tpms and said the ones from auto parts stores often produce errors.
Ditto. Second set of winter / light off road tires. Use Mopar OEM TPMS, no prob sync’ing w/in a couple minutes. I got a set of used take off OEM rims that came with orig TPMS, was simple and inexpensive.

Adkram

Reaction score
2021 Ram Limited
I'm mostly a city driver, but I do want to go offroad for frequent weekend vacations. I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to swap out Wheels and Tires for these trips; for All-Terrain tires plus wheel 192.168.1.254 s that I don't care about damaging. I understand the physical labor involved all too well; turning off air suspension, jacking up the truck, and then swapping out the wheels physically.
I'm curious about how the TPM's will sync up. If I just 10.0.0.0.1 have a second set of TPM's in the second set, will they automatically start working or is there a sync-up process?
Is there anything else that I should be cautious about?
I have a second set for winter and change them over once a year. Pretty easy to do my ONLY advice is to find a second set of rims that only has one set of holes. My winter tire set that I ordered from tire rack have 2 sets of holes and its always a pain to line them up. TPM system requires no intervention and handles everything on its own. I just ordered mine mounted and balanced from tire rack and they synced after just about 10 minutes of driving. Having a handy battery impact wrench is nice for convenience too! Adding an edit - the other thing I did was try to closely match the number of revolutions per mile on the winter tires vs my oem setup. Helps to avoid issues with speedo/odometer accuracy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread