5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

28K and brakes needed already?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Since day 1 I've been very pleased with the brakes on my 2020 Laramie Longhorny. Very recently, the brakes started feeling weird..almost like they're heat faded, but this is all the time, not after a long downhill. I've not towed anything with this truck yet and 80% of my driving is highway. The pedal feel is now harder and the brakes no longer feel well modulated or progressive. When I stop, I apply the brakes and with even pedal pressure they start grabbing harder and harder requiring me to reduce the pedal pressure as I'm stopping. Sometimes they feel faded right from the start of a stop (ya, that sounds weird, but you get it). I am starting to feel a little pulse in the pedal which makes me think the rotors are already work hardening and in need of replacement. Is this what others have seen as far as miles before needing this work? It's a little disappointing as my Fords all went 50-60K before I needed to replace rotors and pads.

Rotors look ok, pads are still 50% or better, hubs aren't hot at any wheel, nothing dragging.

Thanks

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At 41.8k and they feel like they did on day one. I am sort of a lead foot, so they get used pretty hard.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since day 1 I've been very pleased with the brakes on my 2020 Laramie Longhorny. Very recently, the brakes started feeling weird..almost like they're heat faded, but this is all the time, not after a long downhill. I've not towed anything with this truck yet and 80% of my driving is highway. The pedal feel is now harder and the brakes no longer feel well modulated or progressive. When I stop, I apply the brakes and with even pedal pressure they start grabbing harder and harder requiring me to reduce the pedal pressure as I'm stopping. Sometimes they feel faded right from the start of a stop (ya, that sounds weird, but you get it). I am starting to feel a little pulse in the pedal which makes me think the rotors are already work hardening and in need of replacement. Is this what others have seen as far as miles before needing this work? It's a little disappointing as my Fords all went 50-60K before I needed to replace rotors and pads.

Rotors look ok, pads are still 50% or better, hubs aren't hot at any wheel, nothing dragging.

Thanks
Have you ever lent your truck to someone else, unsupervised?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051246 miles.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Have you ever lent your truck to someone else, unsupervised?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051246 miles.
No. It's my office.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. It's my office.
There is a proper way to break-in brake pads. What I was thinking is that at one time the vehicle's brakes really got cooked, either from really high speed braking, or long braking down a grade.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052243 miles.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. My last truck (2003 Ford F-250) ate brakes. 25K miles and the pads were done in the front.

So far I'm with kapinallinen2, my brakes feel the same now (43K miles) as they did day one.

This is my first new vehicle so it's the first time my "new brakes" weren't from me. I always break-in my pads after installation. I've had a couple of brake pad replacements early on (brake squeal) and would break-in the pads shortly after getting the truck back.

I don't know if that's made the difference in mine but it certainly didn't hurt. There are plenty of people that probably didn't do that with their new RAM and don't have an issue either.

I'm not sure how many miles you have on your truck as FCA only warranties the brake pads for 12K or 15K miles. You might find a "spirit of the law" dealership that may take a look at your brakes under warranty if they thing they can write it up to get re-imbursed by FCA.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I'm the opposite. My last truck (2003 Ford F-250) ate brakes. 25K miles and the pads were done in the front.

So far I'm with kapinallinen2, my brakes feel the same now (43K miles) as they did day one.

This is my first new vehicle so it's the first time my "new brakes" weren't from me. I always break-in my pads after installation. I've had a couple of brake pad replacements early on (brake squeal) and would break-in the pads shortly after getting the truck back.

I don't know if that's made the difference in mine but it certainly didn't hurt. There are plenty of people that probably didn't do that with their new RAM and don't have an issue either.

I'm not sure how many miles you have on your truck as FCA only warranties the brake pads for 12K or 15K miles. You might find a "spirit of the law" dealership that may take a look at your brakes under warranty if they thing they can write it up to get re-imbursed by FCA.
28K miles (in the title of the post)

Ya, I do the whole thermal cycling thing with new vehicles or when changing pads and rotors. Guess mine is just the lucky one. Once Powerstops are back in stock, I'll change all 4.

Thanks

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
There is a proper way to break-in brake pads. What I was thinking is that at one time the vehicle's brakes really got cooked, either from really high speed braking, or long braking down a grade.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052243 miles.
Unlikely, but we have a lot of hills around us here. I'll just order new pads and rotors when they're available.

Thanks

sdramsey24

Reaction score
I'm getting a little fade in front. 17k. Pads look fine. Over the years I've swapped out to a higher quality brake fluid when I tax the braking system pretty hard. And I sure do with my truck. Anyway, I've been thinking about new fluid recently.

Users who are viewing this thread