5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

285 or 295?

DSN46

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
From what I have read, 285/75r18 and 295/70r18 tires will fit without problems on my 2020 Rebel stock wheels. My question for those of you who might know a bit more than I about this particular platform is; which size would you choose and why? I'm leaning toward the 285's because they are a bit taller and a bit narrower (so I don't rub the upper control arms), but a little extra width would be nice also with the 295's. I'm having one of those "I can't make up my stupid mind" moments. :)
Thank you for any input or experiences you might have!

James

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
From what I have read, 285/75r18 and 295/70r18 tires will fit without problems on my 2020 Rebel stock wheels. My question for those of you who might know a bit more than I about this particular platform is; which size would you choose and why? I'm leaning toward the 285's because they are a bit taller and a bit narrower (so I don't rub the upper control arms), but a little extra width would be nice also with the 295's. I'm having one of those "I can't make up my stupid mind" moments. :)
Thank you for any input or experiences you might have!

James

Exact same boat as you right now.. Only with adding 35X12.50 in the mix. So frustrated with which size to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boost Monkey

Reaction score
Hands down 295. Trust me when I tell you even the 295’s will look *sorta* skinny on this truck. A 285/75 is just way too skinny for being almost a 35” tire.
I’ve ran 295/70 nitto Ridge Grapplers and I just took them off replaced with Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5 (I have 2” ReadyLift level and Method NV605’s et-12) bc they still looked a bit small on this truck.

DSN46

Reaction score
Hands down 295. Trust me when I tell you even the 295’s will look *sorta* skinny on this truck. A 285/75 is just way too skinny for being almost a 35” tire.
I’ve ran 295/70 nitto Ridge Grapplers and I just took them off replaced with Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5 (I have 2” ReadyLift level and Method NV605’s et-12) bc they still looked a bit small on this truck.
Thank you! The 295's measure to be 11.6" wide. I'm using the stock wheels. Will they rub the upper control arms? I have no wish to buy spacers. Thank you!
James

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your first order of duty on an off road vehicle is to make sure you have enough room to air down so that you don't rub the UCA. If you want to keep the stock rims then you can put 35's on and have a mall crawler. Or you can go with narrower tires so you can air down. Or you can go with after market rims with the proper off set so you can air down on 35's.

DSN46

Reaction score
Your first order of duty on an off road vehicle is to make sure you have enough room to air down so that you don't rub the UCA. If you want to keep the stock rims then you can put 35's on and have a mall crawler. Or you can go with narrower tires so you can air down. Or you can go with after market rims with the proper off set so you can air down on 35's.
After market rims with more negative offset are on the drawing board. To be honest, I have a lot of time under my belt in the off road environment.... but I only aired down when I took my trip out to Moab in my highly modified 96 Cherokee. (And of course in the Army when we aired down using the CTIS on military vehicles) All of the other times I've been off road in the mountains of Tennessee, Ozarks, Colorado, many mud fields and creeks where I grew up, and place called Flat Nasty's Offroad Park in Missouri I didn't air down and never had a problem. Maybe I just got lucky.

badassbaldie

Reaction score
I'm running 295/70/18 tires with the stock Rebel wheels, 2" hubcentric spacers and a 2.5" Motofab leveling kit. Stance is great! I did have to remove the small OE mud flaps and some minor trimming of the inner fenders but no biggie.

DSN46

Reaction score
I'm running 295/70/18 tires with the stock Rebel wheels, 2" hubcentric spacers and a 2.5" Motofab leveling kit. Stance is great! I did have to remove the small OE mud flaps and some minor trimming of the inner fenders but no biggie.
I’m not interested in spacers. Did you have to run spacers or did you choose to for a better stance? Thanks!

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this is interesting... on the Goodyear website it appears that the 285/75R18's are really close in section width... .2 inches. you might be fine with minimal modification. Maybe?

1614612733001.png
1614612612750.png

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you planning on just putting them on and hoping for the best? No level or lift first? I'm really interested in hearing the results if so.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards 285/75 on stock Rebel wheels..

badassbaldie

Reaction score
I’m not interested in spacers. Did you have to run spacers or did you choose to for a better stance? Thanks!
Did it more for the stance. I believe spacers actually give more potential for rubbing seeing that it pushes the wheel out more (bigger radius). Seeing that you’re already leveled, you should be fine.

DSN46

Reaction score
Did it more for the stance. I believe spacers actually give more potential for rubbing seeing that it pushes the wheel out more (bigger radius). Seeing that you’re already leveled, you should be fine.
Thank you! 295's get installed tomorrow. :)

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Thank you! 295's get installed tomorrow. :)

Make sure to post pics! I'm in 20" land but I also stayed with stock wheels. I went with 295's as well. I'm really happy with how it looks and rides. FWIW I've lost about 1.7 - 2 mpg. Meh, I'll make up for it when camping / boating / lake / fishing season comes around!

DSN46

Reaction score
What tire you go with?

Most people on here won't like my answer. Let me preface it by saying that I spent most of the adult life of my 54 years running Mud Terrains and aggressive AT's on my Jeeps, trucks and Tahoes... but, alas.... I've reached that point where I want quiet when I drive. (actually I think I reached it about 5 years ago but didn't want to admit that I'm becoming a cranky old man already) At any rate, I'm going with a milder all terrain. Yokohama G015 AT in LT295/70-18. When you see them in person they actually look really meaty. They get glowing reviews all over the net and I have friend who runs them on his 2500 and loves them (I've ridden with him and can't hear a thing from the tires). So there you have it. I will post a pic after install for anyone who might be in the same "old-man-had-enough-of-the-noise" boat as I am in. Duratracs just keep getting louder with every passing thousand miles.

Boost Monkey

Reaction score
Thank you! The 295's measure to be 11.6" wide. I'm using the stock wheels. Will they rub the upper control arms? I have no wish to buy spacers. Thank you!
James

I'm late to the game, so apologies, but I will still answer (kind of) your question for others who might reference this thread.

If you ever want to know if you'll rub on either end, just do the simple math on whatever the change is and measure available space on your truck. For instance:

You want to go from a 275 S/W tire to a 295 S/W tire. That means the 295 will be approximately 20mm wider than your 275. Split that in half (10mm), and that's roughly how much the new tire will protrude inboard from the widest point on your 275 tire. So, find the widest point on the 275 and measure 10mm out. Do you have the space?

Variables for above include 1. All tires are not created equal, even with same specs. This means actual section widths may vary depending on brand, type (AT vs MT) etc.) 2. The widest point on your 295 will be slightly higher than on a 275 since the tire is larger in diameter... But If you're not looking good at 10mm inboard, the slightly higher location of the widest point on a 295 shouldn't matter as you shouldn't do anything that will leave you with such tight margins.

DSN46

Reaction score
Just to follow up and close this thread out with an outcome, tires are on.
1. NO rubbing or fitment problems at all. There is still plenty of clearance on all sides even with suspension articulated.
2. OMG what an improvement in ride quality and sound over the Duratracs!
3. Rolling resistance is way better than Duratracs.
4. They look awesome in person.
5. I couldn't be happier. :)
Here are some pics as someone had asked me for them once installed.
G015_collage.jpg

DenCoRam

Reaction score
Looks great.

Thought for the sake of others I'd add my experience. I just put on 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Xtreme tires on stock rebel wheels. These are specified as 34.3" diameter. With 1.5" wheel spacers and Bilstein 6112 set on 6 (~1.2" lift over stock in front), I had rubbing on the rear of the fender liner. Bent the metal tab liner support back/flattened it out and zip tied the liner to it for now. No heating/remolding of the liner. Rubbing is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread