5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

285/60r20 vs 295/55r20 Another tire size thread!? Sorry

Black19

Reaction score
Great choice on size. A little late to the thread since you pulled the trigger. You may have a slight rub when in full lock and going over a driveway curb. That is my experience with the tire size on a stock height Bighorn. However, I ended adding the front Bilstein 5100s on setting #5 which gave me just about 1.75" of lift (evens the truck). So, bye bye rub.

Have been running the tire size setup and level for nearly 4.5 years with no issues. Tires on vehicle since:
Ridge Grapplers
View attachment 177575
Falken Wildpeak AT3W

View attachment 177576

BF Goodrich KO2 (current)
View attachment 177577 Truck looks great. Which tires did you like the best? I currently have ATW3’s (love them)and think I want the new ATW4.

upnarms

Reaction score
Great choice on size. A little late to the thread since you pulled the trigger. You may have a slight rub when in full lock and going over a driveway curb. That is my experience with the tire size on a stock height Bighorn. However, I ended adding the front Bilstein 5100s on setting #5 which gave me just about 1.75" of lift (evens the truck). So, bye bye rub.

Have been running the tire size setup and level for nearly 4.5 years with no issues. Tires on vehicle since:
Ridge Grapplers
View attachment 177575
Falken Wildpeak AT3W

View attachment 177576

BF Goodrich KO2 (current)
View attachment 177577
Looks sharp. Well the bilsteins are being installed in about 3 hours, so that should take care of that! Thx for the info.

Btw what window visors are those?

upnarms

Reaction score
Picked up the truck after getting the bilstein B8-6112 level part #BIL47-293540 (springs and shocks) . Love it! Excellent ride quality! My truck finally looks like a truck and just feels right. I'm still torn on getting the bora 1" spacers. For now I'm good, but the wider stance would really put it over the top. Photos to come, but I'm super happy right now.

I did floor it to see if acceleration was impacted and it's not quite as quick as before but still plenty of power- and it's a truck, not a mustang. 395 hp doesn't get too slowed down by 60 extra lbs in the tires.

upnarms

Reaction score
Looks like it should look! Well done!
I have myself convinced that my 1-1/4” Bora’s are going on once the new larger tires go on!
That's what i was leaning towards initially. Now not sure if i go 1 inch or none. It's such a minor difference. But i will be traveling down a 14 mile dirt road often to where im building and want to make sure when i get mud flaps they'll be useful with tires that protrude.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what i was leaning towards initially. Now not sure if i go 1 inch or none. It's such a minor difference. But i will be traveling down a 14 mile dirt road often to where im building and want to make sure when i get mud flaps they'll be useful with tires that protrude.
I currently have Husky mudflaps and like them. But I’ve been thinking about going with these for ‘Merica style points. lol. Plus they have a better coverage.

1708740917804.png

upnarms

Reaction score
I'll check them out. I have rokblokz on my jeep and they are great and quickly removable. I don't think they are the same on the ram but i was looking at them too

smkt404

Reaction score
Ok, picked up the truck from discount. 285/60r20 at4s seem to fit great with no rubbing. Nearly identical spacing between ucas as before (tire measurements would say id lose .1" which isn't noticeable).

Getting the level kit on tomorrow, but it already looks so much better without the highway tires on. View attachment 177538
How did they impact your MPG on highway?

upnarms

Reaction score
How did they impact your MPG on highway?
I'll find out this weekend. But unfortunately i won't have a comparison because i didn't do any highway driving the first couple months i owned this vehicle. The city mpg was pretty bad as it was. I'm sure a large part in due to me not having a lot of miles for the computer to work with and my in-town driving it was in the 14 mpg range with the stock tires. (According to the computer)

I'll do the actual math when i go up to the mountains this weekend and do an out and back calculation using known mileage and known gallons. The speedo is off by 1-2 mph from gps readings.

Still plenty of "go" with these heavy tires.

upnarms

Reaction score
Just got back from an 1800 mile road trip to nm. Best i was getting was a little over 20mph when it was long stretches of level highway. I calculated this with (google map) mileage and gallons at the pump cause my speedo isn't recalibrated. My speedo varies from 1mph up to 4mph off (at 75mph). My city and mountain mpg was 13ish, but before my tires it was 13.5. Mix was in the 15-17mpg range. Looks like i had a 4 mile difference per 80 miles on the odometer.

With the larger, heavier tires, i still see 8th gear (i have the 3.21s) and the mds still kicks in at highway speeds. Acceleration still felt good at all speeds.

I really love the tires despite the weight. Went through heavy rains and they have great wet traction. I have them at 40psi and they are very comfortable. Noise was negligible.

Not sure what real world mileage others are getting. Considering my other ride is a lifted jeep on 35s, the ram does a little better on mpg and I'm good with that. I wouldn't go back to the original tire size for mpg. It's a hemi after all, so i didn't buy for mpg.

My only regret is not researching the gearing before purchase, to realize a regear isn't feasible. But from my jeep (with 4.10s) i realize these 8spd transmissions do a great job compensating.

Let me know if you have any questions and what real world mpg you all are seeing with your setups.

And on a side note, the bilstein level kit is awesome, rides great. 1000008773.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread