5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

285/55R22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on stock no-lift Ram / Heatgun'd for tirerubs

Stevenc150

Reaction score
pure stock 2020 4x4 Longhorn / no air susp / no Lift / no ORP. 1500 miles in i just mounted Nitto ridge grappler 285/55r22 tires.
20200507_000719.jpg
1st Impressions: looks wow! / rubs a bit at full-locks / speedo off by 5mph? / slight rougher ride (45 psi) & slightly more road noise (not bad at all tho) / but Definitely wallows in turns (heli-bar plz)

Addressed tire rubs: washed wells out, used empty lot, made various full-lock forward/reverse turns under slow, then moderate accel to leave rub marks / 3 front tirerubs per side; 2 easily seen w/the 3rd being thin plastic shield between engine &tires (#3 in pic below). Used heat gun, steel bar, & spray bottle = heated each area, held it with bar & sprayed cold water to "freeze" it, reheated if needed & repeated until all rubs cleared. Tip: go easy on #3 its really flimsy thin!
20200427_230541.jpg

Last edited:

WhoDat

Reaction score
pure stock 2020 4x4 Longhorn / no air susp / no Lift / no ORP. 1500 miles in i just mounted Nitto ridge grappler 285/55r22 tires.
View attachment 54153
1st Impressions: looks wow! / rubs a bit at full-locks / speedo off by 2mph? / slight rougher ride (45 psi) & slightly more road noise (not bad at all tho) / but Definitely wallows in turns (heli-bar plz)

Addressed tire rubs: washed wells out, used empty lot, made various full-lock forward/reverse turns under slow, then moderate accel to leave rub marks / 3 front tirerubs per side; 2 easily seen w/the 3rd being thin plastic shield between engine &tires (#3 in pic below). Used heat gun, steel bar, & spray bottle = heated each area, held it with bar & sprayed cold water to "freeze" it, reheated if needed & repeated until all rubs cleared. Tip: go easy on #3 its really flimsy thin!
View attachment 54163
Tires look really good, Im looking to run the same tires on my 2 wheel drive Laramie but i do not have a level kit or any type of lift on my truck. I also have 22 inch rims . Im just not sure if they would even fit with no level or lift !

Stevenc150

Reaction score
WhoDat said:
Tires look really good, Im looking to run the same tires on my 2 wheel drive Laramie but i do not have a level kit or any type of lift on my truck. I also have 22 inch rims . Im just not sure if they would even fit with no level or lift !
I think it would as I'm sure ur Laramie & my longhorn are built on the same chassis. Only thing is ur 2WD/my 4WD could be diff susp? Could always ask the tire shop to mount 1 front tire to check for fitment, they usually will.
Maybe someone on here knows 4 sure

jlcurtis13

Reaction score
View attachment 56392
1st Impressions: looks wow! / rubs a bit at full-locks / speedo off by 2mph? / slight rougher ride (45 psi) & slightly more road noise (not bad at all tho) / but Definitely wallows in turns (heli-bar plz)

View attachment 54163
Looks great, and I want to do the same. Questions: did the rear tires rub as well, or just the front? If I added a 2” leveling kit, would the front still rub? Thanks, Jum

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Looks great, and I want to do the same. Questions: did the rear tires rub as well, or just the front? If I added a 2” leveling kit, would the front still rub? Thanks, Jum

Thx man, its just the front.

I'm pretty sure itll still rub even with the level

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
why did you choose
285/55R22 over a 35 x12.5R22 was it to do with how width ? please comment

Stevenc150

Reaction score
why did you choose
285/55R22 over a 35 x12.5R22 was it to do with how width ? please comment
Size difference is why. The 285/55 filled the wheel wells perfectly imo. The 35/12.5 is wider and wouldve required me to clear the wheel wells much more. The 285 needed only minimal clearing.

Screenshot_20200603-230534_Chrome.jpg

Bigdaveincali

Reaction score
View attachment 56392

View attachment 54163
Truck looks good!

20Longhorn

Reaction score
View attachment 56392

View attachment 54163

Looks sick man. The only rub you would get is in the front right? I have bilstein on front so raises it 2' but nothing done on rear. Should fit and no rub without raising the rear at all?

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Looks sick man. The only rub you would get is in the front right? I have bilstein on front so raises it 2' but nothing done on rear. Should fit and no rub without raising the rear at all?
Actually I had rub in the same spots on both sides with no lift. With ur 2" left may have none at all, just do some at-speed, full-lock turns to be sure. Yeah no worries about raising the rear

Haggee1814

Reaction score
View attachment 56392
1st Impressions: looks wow! / rubs a bit at full-locks / speedo off by 5mph? / slight rougher ride (45 psi) & slightly more road noise (not bad at all tho) / but Definitely wallows in turns (heli-bar plz)

View attachment 54163
Is that at normal height?

RRfan63

Reaction score
View attachment 56392

View attachment 54163
Awesome info! Thanks for sharing this. The truck really looks so much better. Been wanting to do exactly this same thing, same tires and size on my 2020 Limited, but there’s mixed information regarding the fit and rubbing, level, lift, etc. on this forum so I’ve been hesitant to shell out roughly $1700 without more consistent info. The rubbing info you’re providing is consistent and you explain how to address it. Thanks again for letting us know about ride and noise. Everyone’s concerned about those issues too, but some say no difference from factory and some say harsher and louder. In the end it’s all about each individual’s preferences I guess. Thanks again and your truck looks great!

Truckguy

Reaction score
Actually I had rub in the same spots on both sides with no lift. With ur 2" left may have none at all, just do some at-speed, full-lock turns to be sure. Yeah no worries about raising the rear
hows the ride in your opinion? I'm in Kentucky as well and with all the rain we seem to get I'm curious how they do in rain and the little bit of snow we get.

AcbNJ

Reaction score
This is amazing information just got my 21 Laramie with 22” and fine the ride a little rough on potholes. Weather in the northeast does wonders on the roads. Figured a little more wall will protect my rim and fill well better. Again great information! Ooh and your truck looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020NavyLonghorn

Reaction score
View attachment 56392

View attachment 54163

2020NavyLonghorn

Reaction score
Stevenc150
Thanks for the inspiration
Been waiting to do this for awhile.
For others who have the same desire…
2020 Ram Longhorn
No air suspension
Fully stock
Just added
Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15‘s
LT285/55R22i had a bit of an evolution getting here
Shelved the crappy GY Eagles at 16k going into Wisconsin winter 2 yrs ago for a set of take off 18” rims with Falken Wildpeaks, (FYI these tires are awesome in snow and ice but they don’t make the 2855522 size yet)
Switched back to the GY for summers but now they are shot so made the Yokohama switch to the OEM rims.
I’m used to the AT noise so not noticeable
Just installed today
Slight rub on plastics on passenger front at full turn and/or dipping into a parking lot when the front end compresses. Will look to do trim or heat and shape suggestions.
4 pics
Original OEM
18’s - ugly but great tires for winter and off road
New Yokohamas

Going to start at 42 psi and see how I like them

Attachments

• IMG_4731.png
    IMG_4731.png
    512.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4727.jpeg
    IMG_4727.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4728.jpeg
    IMG_4728.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4729.jpeg
    IMG_4729.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 168

rammer2

Reaction score
Stevenc150
Thanks for the inspiration
Been waiting to do this for awhile.
For others who have the same desire…
2020 Ram Longhorn
No air suspension
Fully stock
Just added
Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15‘s
LT285/55R22i had a bit of an evolution getting here
Shelved the crappy GY Eagles at 16k going into Wisconsin winter 2 yrs ago for a set of take off 18” rims with Falken Wildpeaks, (FYI these tires are awesome in snow and ice but they don’t make the 2855522 size yet)
Switched back to the GY for summers but now they are shot so made the Yokohama switch to the OEM rims.
I’m used to the AT noise so not noticeable
Just installed today
Slight rub on plastics on passenger front at full turn and/or dipping into a parking lot when the front end compresses. Will look to do trim or heat and shape suggestions.
4 pics
Original OEM
18’s - ugly but great tires for winter and off road
New Yokohamas

Going to start at 42 psi and see how I like them
Really debating getting these tires. 2022 1500 limited 22s on air. Stuck between going 305/45r22 for much lighter tire and xl or a 285/55 which looks better but idk. I do care about ride quality and wear and tear. Wondering how you like them.

Mcranda995

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Just added this to mine. went with MT Baja Boss 285/55R22. Got a thump-thump sound at full lock. I will try the heat gun. Love the ride
truck 1.jpg truck 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread