5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

285/45R22 Good Year Eagle Touring and driving in sand?

electric130

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Laramie 4x4 with the blackout package that came stock with the 285/45R22 Good Year Eagle Touring. I'm wondering if they would perform well on the beaches on NC as the tread is similar to Michelin Defender LTX which a lot of the locals use. Anyone have experience on sand with the 285/45R22 Good Year Eagle Touring?

Attachments

• 20200204_082114.jpg
    20200204_082114.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200204_082046.jpg
    20200204_082046.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 47
  • mi_defender_ltx_ms_owl_pdpcrop.jpg
    mi_defender_ltx_ms_owl_pdpcrop.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 43

MurdaRam

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Laramie 4x4 with the blackout package that came stock with the 285/45R22 Good Year Eagle Touring. I'm wondering if they would perform well on the beaches on NC as the tread is similar to Michelin Defender LTX which a lot of the locals use. Anyone have experience on sand with the 285/45R22 Good Year Eagle Touring?
I’m no expert but I believe you should be okay as long as you air down.

Hallbag

Reaction score
My biggest concern wouldn’t be the tread but the fact that you’re on 22’s. I just don’t know if that is enough sidewall for you to air down properly and get much of a tread profile benefit. Maybe air down even more than normal would be a solution?

If you have a buddy truck and proper recovery gear, go ahead and try it. Worst case you get to do a fun sand snatch?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depending on the sand conditions you're probably going to have a hard time. It's not the tread that's the issue, it's that low profile tires when aired down won't be elongating the contact patch enough. Picture what a low profile tire looks like at 20 psi... now picture what a 275/70 r18 looks like at 20 psi. That difference in "bagginess" is what gives you flotation over sand.

Firm, hard packed sand you'll probably be fine... loose sand will be more difficult.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice! Glad you had a great trip. Like that rod holder set up too. I'm trying to make one that fits to my bed rails in back.

electric130

Reaction score
Nice! Glad you had a great trip. Like that rod holder set up too. I'm trying to make one that fits to my bed rails in back.
I put a Curt front receiver on. I use it for the rod holder, a rack that holds my fishing cart, a cargo rack, etc. Very versatile!

speedracernc

Reaction score
You will have to air down. I have the same setup and drive on the beach in NC. I have been able to not air down after rain packs the sand some. The times that I have not aired down as soon as I parked on the beach I aired down and it was much easier to get off the beach.
I was thinking of switching to an A/T tire but maybe that is not the best idea.

Last edited:

electric130

Reaction score
You will have to air down. I have the same setup and drive on the beach in NC. I have been able to not air down after rain packs the sand some. The times that I have not aired down as soon as I parked on the beach I aired down and it was much easier to get off the beach.
I was thinking of switching to an A/T tire but maybe that is not the best idea.
I did. See post above

speedracernc

Reaction score
Below Wilmington, then Carolina Beach, then Kure Beach, then Ft Fisher. You can buy passes to drive on the beach at the Ft Fisher State Park.
yeah thats what i thought. i live in wilmington and have the pass for the north end but its too crowded and the beach is too small now. im thinking of switching to the south end for next season.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
As long as you air down and stay on packed sand you should be fine. Stay out of deep, loose stuff. I used to take my Wrangler on Corolla beach (12 miles of beach) each summer and there were lots of 4x4 trucks stuck in the heavily trafficked areas around high tide. Take a shovel and sand recovery boards with you. Going around low-tide is best.

Usually they could be pulled out by Jeeps if they hadn't gotten too aggressive getting themselves stuck. It was also fun to see the AWD Lexus crowd get about 100 yards in and bury themselves to the underbody.

A couple years ago a semi-truck apparently followed his GPS right out onto the sand. That didn't go too well.

1603823738180.png 1603824212681.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/