5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

275/60r20

Pjmfelton

Reaction score
If I'm going from 275/55r20 to 275/60r20 do I need the speedometer recalibrated

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Speedo and mpg will be off a little

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
I made that exact tire swap on mine. Its a total 2 mpg speed difference at high speeds. Def not needed to recalibrate ( my opinion )

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I made that exact tire swap on mine. Its a total 2 mpg speed difference at high speeds. Def not needed to recalibrate ( my opinion )
I get what you’re saying, but that could be said for it being off at any speed- if it’s 20mph off, you could choose to live with it just like the 2.4mph difference @ 70mph from this setup.

So objectively, the swap will not match the stock speeds and needs to be calibrated to get the speedometer, trip meter, and fuel economy gauges working accurately.

Mbrigh3

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying, but that could be said for it being off at any speed- if it’s 20mph off, you could choose to live with it just like the 2.4mph difference @ 70mph from this setup.

So objectively, the swap will not match the stock speeds and needs to be calibrated to get the speedometer, trip meter, and fuel economy gauges working accurately.
yea your right, for it to be perfect he would need to but 2mpg for some isnt worth the hassle

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yea your right, for it to be perfect he would need to but 2mpg for some isnt worth the hassle
For what it’s worth, I’m in the same boat as you right now. I’m not sure that a 5 mile an hour difference is worth it for my set up. I have my GPS in Waze on the infotainment screen that tells me the true speed, and I know in my mind the difference.

Edit: i’m not trying to be hard on you or a know it all, I was just trying to present the best info I could to the OP.

Last edited:

kd908070

Reaction score
If we go with taller tires, can the OEM Jack still be able to lift the tires off the ground? Thanks

BThiesing

Reaction score
Meh, it'll save your odometer a few miles in the long run..

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put the same size tires on mine. My OCD mandated the speedo be recalibrated. Cost a few hundred bucks, but I typically drive right at the limit where I feel cops would probably 'let me go' on a radar/lidar gun. Having to do quick math all the time sucks.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If we go with taller tires, can the OEM Jack still be able to lift the tires off the ground? Thanks
You could a look at my comparison chart earlier in this thread, then test for yourself. If you can get your stock tire ~1.8” off of the ground, then you know it will work with the larger size. This is assuming you are referring to the same size tires as what are posted in this thread.

kd908070

Reaction score
Yes, I refer to the same size. Anyone wants to change to a taller size, also need to consider the OEM Jack + the Spare Tire.
Can we use both of them in case of emergency? If you need to swap out the spare tire with the OEM Jack.
As mention, do we need to purchase a taller spare tire as well?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I refer to the same size. Anyone wants to change to a taller size, also need to consider the OEM Jack + the Spare Tire.
Can we use both of them in case of emergency? If you need to swap out the spare tire with the OEM Jack.
If you get a flat and need to drive more than a mile or two, then the spare needs to go on the front and make sure you're not in 4wd. So if you get a flat on your back tire, first put the spare on the front and then move your good front tire to the back. This will keep your rear diff from potentially getting stressed from unequal sized tires.

1D32319

Reaction score

275/60 only adds a half inch in height. Your jack will be fine. I carry a bottle jack with me anyways because **** that weirdo OEM crap.

The OEM spare donut is an inch smaller in diameter than the 275/60. It will be OK as you're just using it for a short distance. I replaced the stupid donut with a real tire that is 275/60. The last thing I needed was to be towing something and have to put that donut on.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This would be as good a time as any to remind people to check your spare tire psi once or twice a year. You don't want to be on the interstate and find out your spare only has 15psi because you never checked it.

Users who are viewing this thread