5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 engine choice

Longhorn

Reaction score
2500- Cummins diesel or Hemi? What is recommended?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2500- Cummins diesel or Hemi? What is recommended?
A gas engine in a 7k+ pound vehicle will be operating under a heavy load and economy and engine life will suffer in my opinion. I'd get the diesel unless you never plan to tow and drive with a light foot. Diesels don't lose mpg under load like gassers do.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
See my threads about this for my full opinion.

We sold our 2013 Cummins a few months ago.

My next truck, whether it be a 2018 or 2019 will have the 6.4l Hemi with 4.10 gears.

The 6.4l BGE is a true HD gas engine...one very like my 8.0l V10.

The 6.4l will work like a Cummins, unless you tow in very steep or High altitude or over 65 MPH(most states have laws against that anyways),

Now the Cummins does offer alot more than the 6.4l Hemi(engine brake for one), but unless you tow regularly long distances at highway speed in hilly or high altitude, give that BGE a chance.

Gas motors do have a place in HD pickups, but the decision is yours.

I based my decision on not towing on the highway much(I prefer backroads at the expense of a few minutes faster drive), the maintenance and diesel fuel, and I just don't like the sound of a clattering motor...all my opinion.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
See my threads about this for my full opinion.

We sold our 2013 Cummins a few months ago.

My next truck, whether it be a 2018 or 2019 will have the 6.4l Hemi with 4.10 gears.

The 6.4l BGE is a true HD gas engine...one very like my 8.0l V10.

The 6.4l will work like a Cummins, unless you tow in very steep or High altitude or over 65 MPH(most states have laws against that anyways),

Now the Cummins does offer alot more than the 6.4l Hemi(engine brake for one), but unless you tow regularly long distances at highway speed in hilly or high altitude, give that BGE a chance.

Gas motors do have a place in HD pickups, but the decision is yours.

I based my decision on not towing on the highway much(I prefer backroads at the expense of a few minutes faster drive), the maintenance and diesel fuel, and I just don't like the sound of a clattering motor...all my opinion.
There’s a reason GM has offered the 6.0L Vortec V8 in their HD trucks for more than 15 years. It has a very high duty cycle rating and is cheap to maintain. Yes, you’ll suffer on economy if you’re pulling a lot. But it still takes a long time, if ever, to recover the $9K+ of a diesel powertrain, especially when you look at maintenance costs. You do have to get used to the sound of a V8 singing at 3-4K RPM all day long, but that’s not such a bad thing...

Users who are viewing this thread