5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 diesel 4x4 system question

Myron

Reaction score
Good Morning, I just picked up a 19 2500 Diesel 4x4 with the tow package and I curious that when I put it in 4wd the cluster reads "4wd locked" Does this mean it has any sort of lockers in the diffs or it is just in 4wd with two open diffs? Also what effect does the traction control system have on the system when it is in 4wd?

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
no, it just means it's in 4wd. No lockers. It's my understanding the traction control will work in 4hi, but it automatically disbles when in 4low. My advice would be to turn it off unless you are using 4hi on the street in ice/snow. Offroad, the traction control system can be your enemy because it doesn't allow for wheel spin that you sometimes need.

Myron

Reaction score
Thanks.. Was kinda hoping for the money that I paid for this thing that it would be a bit more capable off road.. Is the rear diff at least a limited slip?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks.. Was kinda hoping for the money that I paid for this thing that it would be a bit more capable off road.. Is the rear diff at least a limited slip?
POWERWAGON. front and rear lockers.

The truck could have anti spin if it was optioned. 3500 it is standard.

Diesels aren't the best offroad, for a few reasons...torque not being one of them.

This is why no Diesel Powerwagon.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wouldn't take that truck off road; two massive problems with it, weight and suspension. That truck is way to heavy (diesel engine) and the suspension is configured for towing and hauling, not rock climbing or other off roading.

As devildodge hinted, check out the power wagon for a 2500 that is offroad capable. No diesel option (for weight savings) and the suspension has been drastically changed to make it more supple.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
You don’t need a power wagon just to go off road. Any full size new 4wd pickup made today is extremely capable. Just because there are some options that may be better doesn’t mean your pickup isn’t capable of performing well off road. I’m talking about real world useful off road driving, as I don’t have experience in sport off roading in parks etc.

I prefer to leave traction control on unless it becomes a problem, which is very rare for me. Personal preferences are what they are. Modern traction control does a good job at reducing the need for lockers by reducing wheel spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online