5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25’ Airstream

kmayer

Reaction score
Would love other opinions as I’m a bit on the fence on this. I have a 25’ 1995 Airstream Classic with a dry weight of 5100, gross weight of 6800 and tongue weight of 700. I plan on buying a fully optioned limited:

Hemi 4 WD eTorque
Level 1
Advanced safety group
Sunroof
Anti spin
3.92 Axle ratio
33 gallon fuel tank
Ram Boxes

I think will give me about 1100-1300 max payload and max tow of 11,250. My main concern is payload:

Pilot and Copilot 350
Ever Present Golden Retriever 50
Tongue weight 700
Hitch 50
Camp stuff 100
Ram boxes content 50
Total 1300

Are my calculations correct? I suspect we will be slightly over on payload but probably ok. What do you think? I have suffered through 20 years of F250 Super Duty Diesel and am beyond tired of the size, smell, and horrible daily driving. Ready for something that is both a good and comfortable daily driver and capable tow vehicle. Input greatly appreciated. As a side note, I wonder if 2020’s will be any different in max payload.

Thanks,

Kevin

Johnvan

Reaction score
Seems like a great combination. Worked out for this guy.....

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would love other opinions as I’m a bit on the fence on this. I have a 25’ 1995 Airstream Classic with a dry weight of 5100, gross weight of 6800 and tongue weight of 700. I plan on buying a fully optioned limited:

Hemi 4 WD eTorque
Level 1
Advanced safety group
Sunroof
Anti spin
3.92 Axle ratio
33 gallon fuel tank
Ram Boxes

I think will give me about 1100-1300 max payload and max tow of 11,250. My main concern is payload:

Pilot and Copilot 350
Ever Present Golden Retriever 50
Tongue weight 700
Hitch 50
Camp stuff 100
Ram boxes content 50
Total 1300

Are my calculations correct? I suspect we will be slightly over on payload but probably ok. What do you think? I have suffered through 20 years of F250 Super Duty Diesel and am beyond tired of the size, smell, and horrible daily driving. Ready for something that is both a good and comfortable daily driver and capable tow vehicle. Input greatly appreciated. As a side note, I wonder if 2020’s will be any different in max payload.

Thanks,

Kevin
FYI, your Limited with the options listed will have an estimated payload of 1146lbs.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Here's a question... If the above Edmunds video posted a scale report that showed his GVW was 7300 lbs (overweight) vs a stripped down big horn scale report that shows GVW of 6900 lbs; what vehicle would you choose for a few thousand mile road trip?
Personally, I'd take the better equipped truck. I don't think a few hundred pounds of options would make a difference in actual towing experience. It would make a difference on the comfort of the trip though.

kmayer

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, you’re making me feel better about making the purchase. When I first bought this Airstream in 1995, I pulled it with a new 95 Grand Cherokee which was a great daily driver clearly not designed for this type of load. I then went the other direction and purchased the Super Duty which was more than I really needed for towing and a beast to drive everyday. I think the Ram will be the sweet spot in many ways. Thanks for the likely actual payload of 1146. I also agree with the sentiment that trimming off wanted options that I will enjoy 365 days a year to save a couple hundred pounds in payload for the 30 days a year I’m towing is probably not a good trade off.

Jackham

Reaction score
As long as you stay, in my opinion, 27' and below with "Airstream" you should be fine. Assuming you are not hauling cement bags from one Home Depot to another. You can be sure the engineers did not put in print anything that wasn't way over built. Just not the way it works. What is more important is your skill as driver. Weight distribution. And driving safe. More violations are done along the line of tires and their proper inflation than suspension.

kmayer

Reaction score
What is more important is your skill as driver. Weight distribution. And driving safe. More violations are done along the line of tires and their proper inflation than suspension.

Totally agree. Pay the premium for good quality trailer tires, check your brakes annually, and check alignment. I had to travel a few hours to find someone that could align an airstream, but it made a difference in tire wear and road behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/