5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'24 vs '25 1500 Features & Value Differences

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
But you're not being honest with your GM vs Ram comparisons.
I really am. You're focusing on the engine itself instead of the packages and what I want to spend and what that spending will get me.

Looks like you're thinking GMC and not Chevy. Fair enough. You can't get a SLE with the 6.2 engine. The lowest trim level GMC you can get with that engine is AT4, which starts at basically $70k. Sure, you can get the 5.3 in lower trim levels, but that's not their top 1500 engine. The baby Duramax is available in just about any trim level if that's the engine you want. But that's definitely not their top engine either.

I'm not trying to justify Ram's engine choices. I think it's a mistake for them not to offer a V8 option. But I also think the SO Hurricane engine will tow just as well as the Hemi you have now. My basis for that is the fact that we also own an F150 EB, which I think tows better in the hills than our Ram Limited with the Hemi.

If you watched the video from Reignited, he is pretty clear that the SO should be avoided if at all possible, the HO is much better (not just power numbers, but strength/reliability etc).

Lets try this another way. Here are the engines I'd consider in my next 1500: Ford's 5.0, GM's 3.0/6.2, or Rams HO. With those engine choices, I'll take the cheapest truck that has one of those, and that sure as heck won't be Ram. That's basically the logic in a nutshell.

In other words, I buy/choose the engine FIRST, then I sort by cost and whatever truck I can get that's cheap enough with the very few features I need, that's what I'm getting.\\

Edit: And actually with the HO it's not that simple. I don't want a turbo, so I'm not very likely to want ANY truck with the HO. However, if they offered it a very cheap/affordable price I'd probably bend and pick one up. No way I'm spending $80k on a truck and taking a chance on turbos. Not happening.

silver billet

Reaction score
This is the same logic I used to buy my current Ram, and its what made it such a compelling purchase. You could get a really strong and reliable 5.7 in a really basic truck. The hemi can take tons of abuse (we know that because of how well it did in the 2500.

That value is completely shot to pieces now.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really am. You're focusing on the engine itself instead of the packages and what I want to spend and what that spending will get me.
I'm focusing on the engine because that seemed to be your main concern, along with being able to get that engine of choice in a low trim level.

If you watched the video from Reignited, he is pretty clear that the SO should be avoided if at all possible, the HO is much better (not just power numbers, but strength/reliability etc).
I haven't watched that video so I can't comment on that.

Lets try this another way. Here are the engines I'd consider in my next 1500: Ford's 5.0, GM's 3.0/6.2, or Rams HO. With those engine choices, I'll take the cheapest truck that has one of those, and that sure as heck won't be Ram. That's basically the logic in a nutshell.

In other words, I buy/choose the engine FIRST, then I sort by cost and whatever truck I can get that's cheap enough with the very few features I need, that's what I'm getting.\\

Edit: And actually with the HO it's not that simple. I don't want a turbo, so I'm not very likely to want ANY truck with the HO. However, if they offered it a very cheap/affordable price I'd probably bend and pick one up. No way I'm spending $80k on a truck and taking a chance on turbos. Not happening.
You might want to also remove the baby Duramax since it has a turbo as well. Sounds like your self-inflicted choices are to get an F150 with the 5.0 or GM truck with the 6.2. I would actually agree with those choices if I was looking for a truck right now. Or move up to an HD w/6.4 Hemi if I wanted to stick with Ram.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm focusing on the engine because that seemed to be your main concern, along with being able to get that engine of choice in a low trim level.
It's not just the engine; it's a set of engines I'm interested in, at the cheapest cost. The SO is not in my group, not touching it, and the HO is astronomically expensive.

I haven't watched that video so I can't comment on that.

You might want to also remove the baby Duramax since it has a turbo as well. Sounds like your self-inflicted choices are to get an F150 with the 5.0 or GM truck with the 6.2. I would actually agree with those choices if I was looking for a truck right now. Or move up to an HD w/6.4 Hemi if I wanted to stick with Ram.

The duramax is a diesel; generally they are stronger all around, as they have to be, but in this case there are other attractions to sweeten the deal such as insane fuel efficiency, excellent reliability to date, and also being able to get it a low enough cost. Note that I'm willing to give the same "benefit of the doubt" I give to the duramax, to the HO, but the cost/risk is completely different between them. The SO is apparently more of a car engine. Meant for lighter duty according to reignited.

"self-inflicted choice" is an odd way to spell "strong preference". Let's keep it real, we all have those, and I'm far more willing to focus on things that matter, than many fanbois who just buy the same brand over and over again because of some unrealistic view that it's "the best".

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's not just the engine; it's a set of engines I'm interested in, at the cheapest cost. The SO is not in my group, not touching it, and the HO is astronomically expensive.

The duramax is a diesel; generally they are stronger all around, as they have to be, but in this case there are other attractions to sweeten the deal such as insane fuel efficiency, excellent reliability to date, and also being able to get it a low enough cost. Note that I'm willing to give the same "benefit of the doubt" I give to the duramax, to the HO, but the cost/risk is completely different between them. The SO is apparently more of a car engine. Meant for lighter duty according to reignited.

"self-inflicted choice" is an odd way to spell "strong preference". Let's keep it real, we all have those, and I'm far more willing to focus on things that matter, than many fanbois who just buy the same brand over and over again because of some unrealistic view that it's "the best".
I really need to watch that video. I can't watch online videos from my work machine, and by the time I get home I don't want to spend much time on my computer LOL.

By "self-inflicted choice" I absolutely meant preferred. May be an odd way of referring to it but that's exactly what it is. And it's how I would describe my preferences as well. In the end it's your money (mostly) to spend on whatever you want.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Using the Big Horn example and adjusting for inflation the non-inflation related increase is only about $1,300 from 2019 - 2025. Not saying that makes it any easier to stomach but given the cost of almost everything has increased at or above the rate of inflation it is relevant in the conversation I think... at least the conversation I will end up having with myself next time I want to justify a new truck!

silver billet

Reaction score
I really need to watch that video. I can't watch online videos from my work machine, and by the time I get home I don't want to spend much time on my computer LOL.

By "self-inflicted choice" I absolutely meant preferred. May be an odd way of referring to it but that's exactly what it is. And it's how I would describe my preferences as well. In the end it's your money (mostly) to spend on whatever you want.

The video is here, you can skip to the middle IIRC:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
But you're not being honest with your GM vs Ram comparisons. Looks like you're thinking GMC and not Chevy. Fair enough. You can't get a SLE with the 6.2 engine. The lowest trim level GMC you can get with that engine is AT4, which starts at basically $70k. Sure, you can get the 5.3 in lower trim levels, but that's not their top 1500 engine. The baby Duramax is available in just about any trim level if that's the engine you want. But that's definitely not their top engine either.

I'm not trying to justify Ram's engine choices. I think it's a mistake for them not to offer a V8 option. But I also think the SO Hurricane engine will tow just as well as the Hemi you have now. My basis for that is the fact that we also own an F150 EB, which I think tows better in the hills than our Ram Limited with the Hemi.
Have to agree with you. I had a 15’ Ford with the 2.7 and it towed just fine (6K). If I had a heavier trailer I’d have bought their 3.5 which has so much torque its not even funny. Now RAM is giving buyers the equivalent engine as Ford, a small displacement twin turbo.

Will it tow? Of course. Could it be problematic with the dual turbos? Yep, just get the extended factory warranty. Does it have that hemi rumble? Nope, just have to accept that is gone.

I prefer an older tech V8 and for years have believed “there’s no replacement for displacement”. Yet even old fart me has to admit that engine technology has gotten to the point that these turbo sixes will out pull most any gas motor (except the 7.3 Godzilla Ford) on the market.

I still read the Ford forums and frankly, that updated 3.5 is a pulling monster.
I won’t purchase one as I am happy with my hemi Ltd and don’t tow anymore but if I did… Whose to say.

Lastly, here’s an F150 forum post from a couple years ago that might shed some light on what many Ford owners are saying.
Begin quoted portion of post:

“Bought a 2013 limited 3.5L ecoboost put just shy of 200k on it.
Still own it, love the truck, to be honest it pulled really well.
For me payload was my only issue with the truck pulling my jeep and razor 4 was way way over what the truck was capable of 1/2 ton trucks ya know. I really can't poop poo on the rig. "We'll besides they sound funny!"
I personally will never own a diesel again. Could have bought 2 trucks for what repairs cost me over the years. So when ford announced the 7.3 gas push rod motor I finally felt like I could find a good replacement for my much missed 460.
I have yet to do a long tow with the 7.3 but did a short loop with my jeep and the truck pull it very well, had about 1k tongue weight on the hitch, no complaints.
Range: f150 3.5l 530 miles a tank
Range: f250 7.3l 445 miles a tank
(End of copied portion of article)

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Now for the REBEL, which gets a better "added value" compared to price hike than the Laramie, but the Bighorn is still the big winner.

2025 Standard Feature2024 Value
Rebel Exterior Side Graphics by Mopar
$495​
Rear Wheelhouse-Liners
$220​
Advanced Safety Group
$1,695​
Blind Spot Detection
$595​
Level 1 Group
$2,070​
Class IV Receiver-Hitch
$445​
** Almost everything from '24 level 1 is included in 2025, aside from rear defroster and power pedals mainly, which are in the new L1 for $495, so the L1 I list above is reduced in price that amount

Code DateMSRPEngineDestinationTotal CostChange
2025​
12/12/2023​
$64,195​
$0​
$1,995​
$66,190​
$3,350​
2024​
6/9/2023​
$57,800​
$3,045​
$1,995​
$62,840​
$1,750​
8/2/2022​
$56,300​
$2,995​
$1,795​
$61,090​
$6,515​
6/16/2021​
$50,585​
$2,295​
$1,695​
$54,575​
$2,065​
7/2/2020​
$48,820​
$1,995​
$1,695​
$52,510​
$430​
6/20/2019​
$47,740​
$2,645​
$1,695​
$52,080​
$945​
3/6/2018​
$47,495​
$1,995​
$1,645​
$51,135​

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
And finally the LIMITED. I was really surprised to see this come out almost dead-even in terms of added items versus price increase. Sometime tell me if I'm missing something?

2025 Standard Feature2024 Value
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
$495​
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
$195​
33-Gallon Fuel Tank
$445​
Rambox System
$995​
Level 1 Equipment Group
$4,995​
Massaging Seats