5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Ram 3500 funky downshift

Mags3500

Reaction score
Hello All new to the forum I just picked up a new 3500 crew cab 4 x 4, hi output diesel. It appears that when it downshifts when it gets to go into first gear, it seems to lunge forward any thoughts? Or is this just the way this transmission is? I had a 2022 2500 crew cab diesel that did not feel this way so I have a little concern. Thanks in advance.

KMach

Reaction score
The aisin unit you have in this 3500 HO is going be a bit different than the 2500 with the 68RFE. They are a bit noisy and clunky here and there. However there have been some issues with them. How many miles?

Mags3500

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. It just hit 400 miles this morning. It just seems like when it shifts from 2nd to 1st when stopping it lurches forward like almost

KMach

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. It just hit 400 miles this morning. It just seems like when it shifts from 2nd to 1st when stopping it lurches forward like almost
More than likely still learning some shift adaptives. I have had a few valve body issues and internal snap ring issues with these but I don’t recall them ever walking thru like you’re saying. They are pretty sensitive and will set a light typically. I wouldn’t sweat it too much at this point. It’s a big unit in a big truck.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hello All new to the forum I just picked up a new 3500 crew cab 4 x 4, hi output diesel. It appears that when it downshifts when it gets to go into first gear, it seems to lunge forward any thoughts? Or is this just the way this transmission is? I had a 2022 2500 crew cab diesel that did not feel this way so I have a little concern. Thanks in advance.
you will get better answers on the heavy duty forum

Mags3500

Reaction score
More than likely still learning some shift adaptives. I have had a few valve body issues and internal snap ring issues with these but I don’t recall them ever walking thru like you’re saying. They are pretty sensitive and will set a light typically. I wouldn’t sweat it too much at this point. It’s a big unit in a big truck.

Mags3500

Reaction score
Thanks the day before yesterday. The ram app said that there was an engine malfunction. I didn’t know if that was related to that at this point that is cleared itself never had a check engine light. I plan on towing around 10,000 pounds next weekend for memorial day so we’ll see what happens, I really don’t wanna bring it to the shop if I don’t have to I did check the fluid and it seems at a normal level. It just seems odd the way it downshifts from 2nd to 1st like you said it could be just me that it is a different animal.

KMach

Reaction score
Thanks the day before yesterday. The ram app said that there was an engine malfunction. I didn’t know if that was related to that at this point that is cleared itself never had a check engine light. I plan on towing around 10,000 pounds next weekend for memorial day so we’ll see what happens, I really don’t wanna bring it to the shop if I don’t have to I did check the fluid and it seems at a normal level. It just seems odd the way it downshifts from 2nd to 1st like you said it could be just me that it is a different animal.
She’ll be fine. 10k lbs is just what the doctor ordered!

Users who are viewing this thread