5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23 F150 Platinum to 24 Ram Limited

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at trading my 23 Platinum in on a Limited. Back when I purchased the Platinum, I traded in my 2020 Laramie. My wife and I drove the FX4, and regular 4x4 Platinum, and the 4x4 seemed like it was slightly smoother riding than the Laramie, although close. The Platinum was a little quieter, surprisingly. I trade about every year but did not trade in 2021 or until late 2022 because of Covid and $10K addendums. Now the Ram Limited is discounted $8K and has a $4500 rebate. I'd consider another Ford, but I'd need Platinum Plus to get what I want, but it has the Hybrid engine that I don't care for. For some weird reason, it rode stiffer and was louder than the 3.5L FX4 or 4X4.

Anyway ... curious if anyone has come from the Platinum 3.5L to a Ram Limited and if the Ram Limited has just as smooth or smoother ride. It has everything I want. I would have to believe it is as good with the air suspension, but I have yet to drive one.

I would test drive one, but my best deal is 7 hours away, and I'm not going to a local dealer and test drive one knowing I'm not going to buy it from them, especially since none of the dealers close by have anything even close to what I want.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 13 FX4* before my 21 Limited.
The Ram wins hands down.

*Back then, I'm pretty sure they all had the same suspension. Not sure about now.

ocwill1

Reaction score
had a 2018 Platinum and traded my 21 Lariat powerboost on my current 23 Limited. Ram has a better ride with the air suspension.. I even replaced the tires to more aggressive and it is still a great ride.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Not quite apples to apples in terms of features, but I came from a ‘17 Lariat FX4 to a 22 Laramie with air suspension. The difference in ride with the air suspension is much smoother than any F150 set up (air suspension vs leaf springs). From what I remember, the springs are the same regardless of FX4 or not, but FX4 got different shocks.

I was leery about making the switch, but I have no regrets.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can‘t talk about a Platinum but my 2015 4x supercab 2.7 F150 actually rode fine but had more road noise than I cared for. The 19‘ Limited RAM 1500 was a much nicer ride and had almost the same level of power, at least not towing.

A 3.5 TT ford would be a lot quicker and tow “better” than the hemi, of course gearing can make that comparison change. Most Ferd owners have 3.55 or 3.73’s while the “quicker” hemi is the 3.92.

I can’t discuss transmissions as my 15’ had a 6 speed.

Air suspension should ride better than any spring package. The interior of the Limited is still tops IMHO.

Ferds have more payload typically, springs vs coils again. The max tow vs max payload is a Ferd only question to consider.

RAM “can” tow up to 12K with 3.92’s but payload in most Limited’s is about 1370 lbs. It’s payload that you will run out of way before power, comfort or tow capacity. Don’t let the self-leveling rear air suspension fool you into carrying too much especially on those P rated 22’s. Not much sidewall on a 45 series tire.

That’s my rambling if it helps you at all.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not quite apples to apples in terms of features, but I came from a ‘17 Lariat FX4 to a 22 Laramie with air suspension. The difference in ride with the air suspension is much smoother than any F150 set up (air suspension vs leaf springs). From what I remember, the springs are the same regardless of FX4 or not, but FX4 got different shocks.

I was leery about making the switch, but I have no regrets.
Yeah... I'm not sure what exactly the differences are in the shocks, but my wife and I made 6 round trips on test drives. We drove a 2023 Hybrid with FX4, but it had a vibration, so we drove another FX4 Hybrid, and it did not seem as smooth as our 2020 Ram. We drove the 3.5L FX4, and it was comparable to the Ram. Then we drove the Ram on the same test drive to make sure and we felt they were close. Then we drove the 3.5L FX4 again, then the regular 4x4 3.5L, and it ended up being the smoothest ride of all of them... perhaps surpassing the 2020 Ram Laramie we had. That Laramie did not have air suspension. It was close, though. It was a good test drive route... going over railroad tracks and through town to the interstate so we could get it up to 70mph, then back up to the dealership exit. It was very interesting to drive them all back to back as we did.

As long as it's not any worse, I'll be fine, but I can't help but think it will be better. Every YouTube review I've watched claims it's the smoothest ride they've ever driven... surely all of them can't be that mistaken. I doubt it will be any quieter than my Platinum, as it was about dead silent, although some of that had to do with the extra dampening and insulation I added throughout the truck, which I plan to do with the Ram as well.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cant talk about a Platinum but my 2015 4x supercab 2.7 F150 actually rode fine but had more road noise than I cared for. The 19‘ Limited RAM 1500 was a much nicer ride and had almostbthe same level of power, at least not towing.

A 3.5 TT ford would be a lot quicker and tow better than the hemi, of course gearing can make that change. Most Ferd owners have 3.55 or 3.73’s while the “quicker” hemi is the 3.92.

I can’t discuss transmissions as my 15’ had a 6 speed.

Air suspension should ride better than any spring package. The interior of the Limited is still tops IMHO.

Ferds have more payload typically, springs vs coils again. The max tow vs max payload is a Ferd only question to consider.

RAM “can” tow up to 12K but payload in most Limited’s is about 1370 lbs. It’s payload that you will run out of way before power, comfort or tow capacity. Don’t let the self-leveling rear air suspension fool you into carrying too much especially on those P rated 22’s. Not much sidewall on a 45 series tire.

That’s my rambling if it helps you at all.
The towing will be irrelevant... as we don't tow anything short of a Yamaha Mule or zero-turn mower... maybe some lumber occasionally.

I loaf when I drive, so as long as it will go, I'm fine with either engine.

The tires on the Ram I am looking at are 20"... and I'll immediately swap the tires from 55 to 60 for a little more sidewall.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The only thing I will add is that for some reason my wife, son and daughter-in-law felt the 19‘ and their own 19‘ Ltd’s rode ”better” (whatever that means) than the 23’ Ltd I have. Rims/tires are the same size/tread/P series.

No difference in tire air pressure (I remember and also checked the 23‘) bed length or anything else.

So has the ride changed? Dunno, but then it definitely doesn’t “float” over expansion joints.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The towing will be irrelevant... as we don't tow anything short of a Yamaha Mule or zero-turn mower... maybe some lumber occasionally.

I loaf when I drive, so as long as it will go, I'm fine with either engine.

The tires on the Ram I am looking at are 20"... and I'll immediately swap the tires from 55 to 60 for a little more sidewall.
Did I miss something? I don't think theres many, if any Limited‘s that don't have the 22’s. I looked at dozens on dealer websites, hoping to find one w/o 22’s but couldn’t find any. Laramie s usually don’t have 22’s, a few still have 18’s.

The Ferd TT is either “eco” or “boost”, not both. The hemi is more what you’d expect from a V8. No lack of power and the 8 speed is butter smooth, doesn’t jump around or do multiple gear drops or jumps. All my opinions of course.

Get the 3.21’s if you “loaf along”, the hemi pulls just fine. I never felt the 3.21’s were “slow”, just downshifted earlier on moderate hills than the 3.92 does.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Ecoboost in my Platinum. Yeah... one of the F150's we drove was jumpy and jerky... something was not right with that transmission, and I don't think any of them are as smooth as the 8 speed in the Rams.

They come standard with 20's... 22's are either an option or part of a package.

1705372725045.png

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I have the Ecoboost in my Platinum. Yeah... one of the F150's we drove was jumpy and jerky... something was not right with that transmission, and I don't think any of them are as smooth as the 8 speed in the Rams.

They come standard with 20's... 22's are either an option or part of a package.

View attachment 174740
Nice you found one.

U

User_3336

Ram rides better than the F150 because of the coil spring suspension.

I wouldn't want any V6, period, in a truck. Ecoboost might have that low end torque, but its still a V6 with a turbo.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram rides better than the F150 because of the coil spring suspension.

I wouldn't want any V6, period, in a truck. Ecoboost might have that low end torque, but its still a V6 with a turbo.
It's a shame Ram is getting rid of the V8 for 2025 and going strictly to inline 6 motors.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
It's such a crap shoot on Ford's 10 speeds. Mine was absolute junk, but it was also the first year of them, and with a build date of October 2016 on a 2017 MY, it was one of the first (relatively speaking) to roll off the line, so I had all of the issues. '17 was also the first year of the 2nd gen 3.5, and I had all of the common issues with it as well. Both are overall better today, but there's still lots of complaints of 10 speed issues even on '23's.

U

User_3336

It's such a crap shoot on Ford's 10 speeds. Mine was absolute junk, but it was also the first year of them, and with a build date of October 2016 on a 2017 MY, it was one of the first (relatively speaking) to roll off the line, so I had all of the issues. '17 was also the first year of the 2nd gen 3.5, and I had all of the common issues with it as well. Both are overall better today, but there's still lots of complaints of 10 speed issues even on '23's.
Haven't you learned NOT to buy a first year model of anything (especially something so new as a new tranny or motor). <G> :-\

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Haven't you learned NOT to buy a first year model of anything (especially something so new as a new tranny or motor). <G> :-\

Yeah, that's what I get for not doing a lot of research ahead of time. I needed a truck fairly quickly that year and grew up in a Ford family. When I was finally old enough and making enough money to afford my first F150, my blinders went on. The 5.0 towing figures were still pretty low for that year, otherwise I would have gone with the 5.0 and probably still had the truck today.

What's funny is I also had a 2013 Focus ST, which was also a first year model run. Hands down the most reliable vehicle i've ever owned, and an absolute blast to drive. 141K in 10 years and all I had to do outside of normal maintenance items was the A/C compressor and an oil seal on the vacuum pump, both in the 130K window. I used to track that car too, so not all of those miles were easy. Ford only made a little over 12,000 Focus ST's globally in 2013, compared to almost 900,000 F150's in 2017. The difference in build quality was astounding.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just signed the agreement to buy the 2024 Limited. Trading in my 2023 Platinum. Meeting the dealer on Thursday for the swap. I had to shop 5 hours away to get the best deal and find someone who would meet me about halfway and not make me drive the full distance to pick it up. Back to Ram again. 13, 14, 17, 19, 20 and now a 24. Gotta love 'em.

U

User_3336

Just signed the agreement to buy the 2024 Limited. Trading in my 2023 Platinum. Meeting the dealer on Thursday for the swap. I had to shop 5 hours away to get the best deal and find someone who would meet me about halfway and not make me drive the full distance to pick it up. Back to Ram again. 13, 14, 17, 19, 20 and now a 24. Gotta love 'em.
Did you get a good trade-in value on the Platty?

Users who are viewing this thread