5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22" Stock Wheels with 3.5" lift question

Vol4Life

Reaction score
I'm considering doing the RL SST 3.5" lift kit on my 2021 1500 Laramie night edition with the 22" wheels. I love the wheels so I would like to keep them and just run the biggest tire with them that I can. Stock tires are 285/45/22s. The wheels are 9" wide with a 19.1 offset. With the Toyo Open Country AT III's, tire rack says the following options have a range of wheel widths that includes a 9" wheel like mine:

285/45/22 (stock size)
285/55
295/55
33x12.5
35x12.5

Any recommendations from anyone that has kept stock wheels and gone bigger tires with the 3.5" lift? If I can't run any bigger tires than stock on these rims with the lift then I might not even go for the lift. Most of my driving is around town and interstate and very little true offroad use except to pull friends out when they try to go places they shouldn't in their 2WD trucks.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
You can def run bigger tires on the stock 22s...some guys here running 35s on them.. Youre gunna need spacers though to clear components, and in my honest opinion I would spend the few extra bucks on the 4" zone lift instead of wasting time on the 3.5" RL... Alot of guys on here and other forums hating the ride of the ready lift and switching or contemplating switching to a true 4" lift. Just my opinion, but I like keeping a halfway decent ride when lifting my trucks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Vol4Life

Reaction score
You can def run bigger tires on the stock 22s...some guys here running 35s on them.. Youre gunna need spacers though to clear components, and in my honest opinion I would spend the few extra bucks on the 4" zone lift instead of wasting time on the 3.5" RL... Alot of guys on here and other forums hating the ride of the ready lift and switching or contemplating switching to a true 4" lift. Just my opinion, but I like keeping a halfway decent ride when lifting my trucks!

Interesting. This would be my first time lifting a truck I've owned. I saw that the 4" zone lift is almost double the price of the 3 1/2" RL. The 3 1/2" RL was intriguing to me because I felt a friend and I could install it in his workshop pretty easily but the zone lift looks to be a lot more involved. Wonder how big the ride difference is. I feel the stock truck rides really well but at the end of the day it is a truck so I don't expect it to ride like a cadillac.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Interesting. This would be my first time lifting a truck I've owned. I saw that the 4" zone lift is almost double the price of the 3 1/2" RL. The 3 1/2" RL was intriguing to me because I felt a friend and I could install it in his workshop pretty easily but the zone lift looks to be a lot more involved. Wonder how big the ride difference is. I feel the stock truck rides really well but at the end of the day it is a truck so I don't expect it to ride like a cadillac.
I agree to extent... The new Rams ride way too nice for a truck from the factory (they also sit way too low for a truck), especially me coming from a 4th Gen with 6" lift and 35s....but if you can swing it, 100% spend the extra coin for the 4" lift and thank me later dig around a little bit MANY people complaining about the terrible ride quality of the 3.5.. I don't have personal experience with the ready lift, just judging off what everyone else says here and other forums, but I know when the time comes for me to lift my longhorn I'm spending the extra money for the zone or bds lift! I would just hate to save a few bucks and completely regret not spending a little more on a good full lift! I think you would be alot happier with the zone 4"

Jesster

Reaction score
I put those same tires on my 2021 Night Edition and only did the Bilstein Leveling shocks. Without spacers there was no rubbing. I added 1.5 inch spacers and had to remove the mud guard, bend the mounting tabs for the guards back and zip tie the wheel well liners back.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'm considering doing the RL SST 3.5" lift kit on my 2021 1500 Laramie night edition with the 22" wheels. I love the wheels so I would like to keep them and just run the biggest tire with them that I can. Stock tires are 285/45/22s. The wheels are 9" wide with a 19.1 offset. With the Toyo Open Country AT III's, tire rack says the following options have a range of wheel widths that includes a 9" wheel like mine:

285/45/22 (stock size)
285/55
295/55
33x12.5
35x12.5

Any recommendations from anyone that has kept stock wheels and gone bigger tires with the 3.5" lift? If I can't run any bigger tires than stock on these rims with the lift then I might not even go for the lift. Most of my driving is around town and interstate and very little true offroad use except to pull friends out when they try to go places they shouldn't in their 2WD trucks.

I have a 19 Laramie Sport night edition with 22’s. Thought the same thing about the 3.5” RL kit. Love the stance. Even put Bilstein shocks and struts to help with the ride quality. Running 295/55r22 Ridge Grapplers on stock rims. Not good and looking to take it all out and start over. The 35” tires over extends the angles so your ball joints are off and the wheel hub rubs hard against the LCA. Also, with the 19mm offset of the 22’s the tires over 11.5” wide will rub the coil springs. Don’t waste the time or money. Get a actual lift and put the 35’s on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lkjk

Reaction score
I just ordered rough country 3.5" struts, their ucas, and rear v2 shocks (ordered separately, not the kit). adding clayton 3.5" coils to the rear. Total cost of this setup is ~1300. I've had spacer lifts in the past, and no matter what people say, the ride is worse, and gets worse over time.

That 4" zone lift is just new rear springs and a drop bracket with the same struts and shocks. Given how soft the suspension is already, I would imagine the handling of that kit isn't great, and the drop bracket means your clearance is still pretty close to a stock truck.

I have 35x12.5s going on my stock laramie 20s, with either 1.5 or 2" wheel spacers.

I'd do what I did, or if you're going to do a drop bracket kit look to replace the struts and shocks as well.

Vol4Life

Reaction score
I just ordered rough country 3.5" struts, their ucas, and rear v2 shocks (ordered separately, not the kit). adding clayton 3.5" coils to the rear. Total cost of this setup is ~1300. I've had spacer lifts in the past, and no matter what people say, the ride is worse, and gets worse over time.

That 4" zone lift is just new rear springs and a drop bracket with the same struts and shocks. Given how soft the suspension is already, I would imagine the handling of that kit isn't great, and the drop bracket means your clearance is still pretty close to a stock truck.

I have 35x12.5s going on my stock laramie 20s, with either 1.5 or 2" wheel spacers.

I'd do what I did, or if you're going to do a drop bracket kit look to replace the struts and shocks as well.
Will your setup get rid of any of the rake or will it keep it? I'd like to get rid of most of the rake (maybe leave ~0.5"). Also, do you have a part number for the Clayton 3.5" coils for the rear? I found the other three items but couldn't nail down the Clayton coils.

Ride is definitely top priority for me when I lift it. I'm not worried about ground clearance as it will only be taken offroad in grass and such mainly to go hunting. I'm just wanting it to look better than what it does stock with the nose diving down and sitting kind of low for a 4WD truck IMO.

lkjk

Reaction score
Will your setup get rid of any of the rake or will it keep it? I'd like to get rid of most of the rake (maybe leave ~0.5"). Also, do you have a part number for the Clayton 3.5" coils for the rear? I found the other three items but couldn't nail down the Clayton coils.

Ride is definitely top priority for me when I lift it. I'm not worried about ground clearance as it will only be taken offroad in grass and such mainly to go hunting. I'm just wanting it to look better than what it does stock with the nose diving down and sitting kind of low for a 4WD truck IMO.
Mine should keep the rake - clayton makes 2.5" coils that should give you ~.25" rake. Other people on this site have the same setup if you search for clayton coils. part number is below, they are for a Jeep Gladiator, prob why you couldn't find them.

SKU:COR-1510351

Vol4Life

Reaction score
Mine should keep the rake - clayton makes 2.5" coils that should give you ~.25" rake. Other people on this site have the same setup if you search for clayton coils. part number is below, they are for a Jeep Gladiator, prob why you couldn't find them.

SKU:COR-1510351
Would I still use the 3.5" V2 rear monotube shocks with the 2.5 coils or would that cause any problems? Obviously doing lifts is new to me. There's a local shop that will install whatever I decide to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread