5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22" Limited - Running Premier LTX 114 Load - Versus Defender LTX 110 Load

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I wore the Goodyear Eagle Touring (OEM) 285/45R22 114H XL 500 Treadwear off the truck in 13K miles (rotated properly) - 500 treadwear - I really didn't expect much from them. OEM tires are like the toner cartridge that comes with a new laser printer - not meant to last all that long.

Previous SUV's - I've liked the Michelin Premier LTX's - they ride nice, wear OK - so I got a set: 285/45R22 114H XL 620 treadwear.

Punched a whole in the sidewall of one over the weekend - could find a replacement that wouldn't take a week to get here (tirerack out) - so I subbed in a Michelin Defender LTX 285/45R22 110H 720 treadwear.

Same tread pattern as the Premiers, with what appears to be a lot more tread to start out with (hence the 720 wear, aside from the compound). The main difference (in marketing I guess) is that the Premier is a "Touring All Season", and the Defender is an "Highway All Season".

I was thinking of just going with the Defender as replacements for the Premiers - but my concern comes in on the LOAD RATING.

I do mainly city/hwy - rarely tow - if I DO it's a slingshot in an enclosed trailer (nowhere near max tongue or tow).

Am I OK with a tire that's NOT an XL 114 Load (2,640lbs) versus a 110 (non XL) (2,337lbs).

Obviously - the combined load of the 110's still exceed the GVW of the truck - so that shouldn't be a problem. I DO see folks here running the same tires.

Am I safe to assume the 100 non-XL tires are still OK to run on this truck?

Rick

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Before my father passed away we used to have debates about this. He was constantly outfitting his personal truck and most of our work trucks with the cheapest possible tire, which often had a lower load rating than factory. For one of our large trailers, that bit us pretty hard more than once 1,000 miles away from home. So personally I'm a fan of sticking with the load ratings that match or exceed what the factory provided. That said, I think you would likely be fine, but still...

I'm a huge Michelin fan, and when needed that's what I will be putting on my 2019 Limited with the 20" wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread