5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 Laramie / Radio / Speaker Confusion

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I ordered a 22 1500 Laramie Level 1 Sport with the 8.4 No Nav system . . . I assumed that it would come with just the standard 6 speaker system that I would quickly replace with Infinity's . . . I got my build sheet today, and it says 9 Amplified Speakers w/Subwoofer . . . Did I get an upgrade ? Or is that part of the Laramie package ? Thanks

jd20lar

Reaction score
So I ordered a 22 1500 Laramie Level 1 Sport with the 8.4 No Nav system . . . I assumed that it would come with just the standard 6 speaker system that I would quickly replace with Infinity's . . . I got my build sheet today, and it says 9 Amplified Speakers w/Subwoofer . . . Did I get an upgrade ? Or is that part of the Laramie package ? Thanks
This is standard on Laramie and up . HK 19 spkr is upgrade on most models accept the upper ends. I put infinity ref 3032cfx 3ohm in dash 3, infinity kappa 93ix 2.5ohm in doors(slight mods to fit). Made a huge difference. Stock are 2 ohm, so you have to use lowest possible unless you want to get into amps &/or signal processors etc. Lots of threads on this & can get a bit overwhelming at 1st.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is standard on Laramie and up . HK 19 spkr is upgrade on most models accept the upper ends. I put infinity ref 3032cfx 3ohm in dash 3, infinity kappa 93ix 2.5ohm in doors(slight mods to fit). Made a huge difference. Stock are 2 ohm, so you have to use lowest possible unless you want to get into amps &/or signal processors etc. Lots of threads on this & can get a bit overwhelming at 1st.

So I knew the 6 speaker standard sucked, I had it in my 2012, and replaced it with kicker ….. Are you saying the Alpine 9 sucks too ? Or just certain speakers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd20lar

Reaction score
Alpine 9 is pretty damn good. Def better than base(had a 12,14 &17 with). But lacks if you ever had a real nice system before. There are guys even upgrading HK because they want better. I did the front 1st & it added alot more highs made rest sound dull. So more research... sub replacement $$ & hassle than I wanted, plus door spkrs crap same as base just amped.
Found 93ix 6x9 to freq down to 35hz, most only 40hz, it added back bass and more highs too. So sound is much more full ranged & clear.... get that bit of ear ringing now if I turn it up for to long

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like jdlar was talking about, what sounds right to you is subjective. For example, I went with CDT mid-drivers for the front doors and I think it sounds perfect. Jdlar likes the 93ix, so he will probably prefer his sound over mine and vice-versa.

jd20lar

Reaction score
Yes.
Definitely subjective.
I learned (Crutchfield -a grt source, & threads) front doors only rcv low pass from Alpine amp. So that is work around also leaving my 93ix really only giving lows. But range down to 35hz to add that low back a bit.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK …. To summarize …. Standard 6 sucks (most agree) …. Alpine 9 is a good bit better (most agree) …. Upgrading the Alpine 9 is difficult, technical, and subjective …. BowersFJ takeaway, lift and take care of the outside mods …. Speakers maybe later

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK …. To summarize …. Standard 6 sucks (most agree) …. Alpine 9 is a good bit better (most agree) …. Upgrading the Alpine 9 is difficult, technical, and subjective …. BowersFJ takeaway, lift and take care of the outside mods …. Speakers maybe later

If you're still waiting on your truck, then it's probably a good idea to wait until you listen to it for a few long drives first. You never know, you might not want to make any changes.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
If you're still waiting on your truck, then it's probably a good idea to wait until you listen to it for a few long drives first. You never know, you might not want to make any changes.
It'll also get better as he listens to the system...
Speakers take 50-100 hours to break in...

Pierrepage79

Reaction score
Alpine 9 is pretty damn good. Def better than base(had a 12,14 &17 with). But lacks if you ever had a real nice system before. There are guys even upgrading HK because they want better. I did the front 1st & it added alot more highs made rest sound dull. So more research... sub replacement $$ & hassle than I wanted, plus door spkrs crap same as base just amped.
Found 93ix 6x9 to freq down to 35hz, most only 40hz, it added back bass and more highs too. So sound is much more full ranged & clear.... get that bit of ear ringing now if I turn it up for to long

I found treble on the 93ix was way to high and unadjustable once I installed them in all 4 doors. Bass was tighter but I feel a bit lower than with the cheap factory speakers. Also ANC tends to counteract the speakers when turning up to loud volume over 25. All speakers are installed with the same inverse - polarity as the factory speakers came since I had read that correcting the phase would interfere with ANC and cause potential droning.

HookedonRam

Reaction score

What kind of mod did you have to do to get the Kappas installed in the doors? I have the Alpine system and have had the infinity's in my previous truck and I liked them. I am also thinking about replacing the sub with a direct replacement.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What kind of mod did you have to do to get the Kappas installed in the doors? I have the Alpine system and have had the infinity's in my previous truck and I liked them. I am also thinking about replacing the sub with a direct replacement.

Just be careful …. Front and rear door speakers are 2 ohm …. And front doors are mid-bass only …. CDT has 2 ohm direct replacements for both …. I have them in my 22 w/Alpine …. They have huge magnets, sound great, and drop right in …. I did three Infinity Ref in the dash

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just be careful …. Front and rear door speakers are 2 ohm …. And front doors are mid-bass only …. CDT has 2 ohm direct replacements for both …. I have them in my 22 w/Alpine …. They have huge magnets, sound great, and drop right in …. I did three Infinity Ref in the dash

Did you already get rid of your spare infinity 3.5?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you already get rid of your spare infinity 3.5?

Yup …. Lasted about 3-1/3 minutes when I posted here about it ….. Amazon is the place to get them …. Or it was …. A lot lower than Crutchfield

therapy

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the exact models you purchased? And what adapters you used? Did you have to reverse the plugs on the adapters? I'm looking to do the exact same thing you did.

Luigi_dfw

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the exact models you purchased? And what adapters you used? Did you have to reverse the plugs on the adapters? I'm looking to do the exact same thing you did.
I recently replaced my Alpine 6x9s in all four doors with the following:

Front = HD-690CFS - 2 ohm
Rear = HD-690SEX - 2 ohm
Adapter = Metra 72-6514

The Metra 72-6514 adapters caused a horrible drone in the cab. From what I read, they are supposed to keep the same polarity but that wasn't the case for me. I've also read that it's recommended to reverse the wires on the 72-6514 to solve the ANC droning.

Update - I depinned and reversed the wires on all four of the Metra 72-6514 adapters and reinstalled - this solved the ANC drone issue for me.

For anyone reading this in the future, you either have to (1) buy the Metra 72-6514 adapters and swap the positive and negative on each adapter..... Or (2) buy the Metra 72-6515 adapters and save yourself from having to take your doors off twice.

Last edited:

therapy

Reaction score
I recently replaced my Alpine 6x9s in all four doors with the following:

Front = HD-690CFS - 2 ohm
Rear = HD-690SEX - 2 ohm
Adapter = Metra 72-6514

Their CL series is their classic/budget priced model line. The HD series is their mid price high definition model line. I went with the HDs cause they are the same price as the CL equivalents right now.

No issues with the Metra adapters. They kept the same polarity and so my ANC is still engaged with no droning.

Bass is a lot better and they are way more clear than the factory speakers. The 690SEX coaxial are the perfect mix of bass and mid - I read others that put 3-way coaxials in the rear that played too much high vs the dash/ceiling speakers.

Highly recommend the CDTs.

Thanks! I did the CL-69s in front since it's only bass up there, and the HD-690CFS in rear, really like that so far. Also did the FaitalPRO 4ohms up front on the dash. I got some pretty bad drone with the Metra 6514 up on the front speakers from the ANC so I disconnected the four pins for it from the amp, problem solved haha. Honestly don't notice much difference, but I guess I could always try reversing polarity and re-connecting down the road.

Swapping out the dash speakers was so easy, probably the easiest stock swap I've ever done save for getting that little screwdriver in the front screw.

Ramisgood

Reaction score

what mods did you have to do to the 93ix's? thinking of upgrading my speakers the same way. Did you use wire adapters and, if so, what kind did you use? Thanks

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh all the threads I have read on the speaker replacement concerning the Alpine system, this makes the most sense. Either I have learned something or the lack of side chatter made it easier to understand. Either way, I appreciate it.

I like the idea of keeping the speakers close to the same ohm as the originals. Seems like it will cause less problems if not doing amp upgrades, which I do not plan on doing. The stock alpine speakers sound pretty flat to me and I would like to add some depth.

There seems to be some difference between where @therapy and @Luigi_dfw put the different model of CDT's. I plan on putting the Infinity Ref in the dash. Not sure I understand the thought process between the CDT options. The HD-690SEX seems to cover the widest sound spectrum than even the bass or mid bass specific speakers of HD-690CFS or CL-69.

Sorry if this seems elementary...I know just enough about speakers to think I am installing the right part but not enough to know there are better choices. Dangerous place to be. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread