5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'22 Hemi 8HP75 vs. '20 EcoDiesel 8HP75

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have now had two of these 5th Gen Rams. A diesel and now a gas. This one has totally different transmission behavior. On this '22 Hemi, when I shift to Park there is a LOT of rock to the truck. Like, it'll roll several inches before stopping at times. I feel the need to use the park brake more often. The '20 EcoD never did this. Also, and more annoyingly, when driving the shifts take forever on this new one. It feels like driving a 30 year old 4-speed just in terms of the speed of shifting. Each upshift under light to moderate throttle has a delay. It still shifts fine it just has much more delay as it's going up the gear set. The '20 never did this. Shifts were always crisp and quick. Lastly, when I'm coasting down and let's say I'm slowing down to around 30 MPH and then lightly get back into the throttle it will often CLUNK loudly and jerk the truck.

I guess in summary, this transmission is sloppy as hell compared to the trans in my '20. Aren't they the same transmissions?? What's the deal with this?

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have now had two of these 5th Gen Rams. A diesel and now a gas. This one has totally different transmission behavior. On this '22 Hemi, when I shift to Park there is a LOT of rock to the truck. Like, it'll roll several inches before stopping at times. I feel the need to use the park brake more often. The '20 EcoD never did this. Also, and more annoyingly, when driving the shifts take forever on this new one. It feels like driving a 30 year old 4-speed just in terms of the speed of shifting. Each upshift under light to moderate throttle has a delay. It still shifts fine it just has much more delay as it's going up the gear set. The '20 never did this. Shifts were always crisp and quick. Lastly, when I'm coasting down and let's say I'm slowing down to around 30 MPH and then lightly get back into the throttle it will often CLUNK loudly and jerk the truck.

I guess in summary, this transmission is sloppy as hell compared to the trans in my '20. Aren't they the same transmissions?? What's the deal with this?
Just a thought that may not be the transmission, the driveshaft could be causing the issue. We have an old Lexus with a bad (loose) driveshaft and it does the exact same thing you described.
My 2020’s driveshaft has a tiny bit of play only noticeable during occasional start/stops from the etorque which I see you don’t have. Maybe have a shop look at the driveshaft?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it's in the shop today with 500 miles on the odo for a vibration at almost all speeds. They're checking tires, if it doesn't get solved with tires then the driveshaft may be the next place that gets checked anyhow. So we'll see.. But really this issue to me feels like a programming issue. Maybe I'll give it more time and see if the trans "learns" and starts sharpening up the shifts a little better. Would be interesting though to drive one with 10k on the clock and see if it's the same way.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it's in the shop today with 500 miles on the odo for a vibration at almost all speeds. They're checking tires, if it doesn't get solved with tires then the driveshaft may be the next place that gets checked anyhow. So we'll see.. But really this issue to me feels like a programming issue. Maybe I'll give it more time and see if the trans "learns" and starts sharpening up the shifts a little better. Would be interesting though to drive one with 10k on the clock and see if it's the same way.
How many miles are on your truck?
Hopefully it’s not a major issue, park engages first and reverse, the rocking motion is from those gears taking up the weight of the vehicle. If the rock in park is coming from the transmission that means the gears are farther apart than normal when they engage.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many miles are on your truck?
Hopefully it’s not a major issue, park engages first and reverse, the rocking motion is from those gears taking up the weight of the vehicle. If the rock in park is coming from the transmission that means the gears are farther apart than normal when they engage.

500 miles on the clock now. When I engage Park and then let my foot off the brake pedal, it'll roll then catch and then rock back and forth like a porch swing. I think all of my vehicles have done this to a small degree but nothing like this one does. I don't ever remember my '20 being this way. Unfortunately it's one of those things that would be very hard to convince a dealership to look into.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
500 miles on the clock now. When I engage Park and then let my foot off the brake pedal, it'll roll then catch and then rock back and forth like a porch swing. I think all of my vehicles have done this to a small degree but nothing like this one does. I don't ever remember my '20 being this way. Unfortunately it's one of those things that would be very hard to convince a dealership to look into.
With that low of miles I would say bring it in, maybe exaggerate the clunking to the dealership so you can get an appointment. Whatever the issue is that’s certainly not how your beautiful new ram should be!

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Maybe I'm Captain Obvious here, but why not just use the parking brake? I configured my '22 Big Horn truck to automatically set/release the parking brake. But even if it didn't, I would still set it manually every time.

From the owner's manual:
Before leaving the vehicle, make sure that the parking brake is applied.
Never use the PARK position as a substitute for the parking brake. Always apply the parking brake fully when parked to guard against vehicle movement and possible injury or damage.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I'm Captain Obvious here, but why not just use the parking brake? I configured my '22 Big Horn truck to automatically set/release the parking brake. But even if it didn't, I would still set it manually every time.

From the owner's manual:
Before leaving the vehicle, make sure that the parking brake is applied.
Never use the PARK position as a substitute for the parking brake. Always apply the parking brake fully when parked to guard against vehicle movement and possible injury or damage.

Honestly? Because in my experience parking brakes become nightmares to keep adjusted properly over time. They can end up not holding properly, or hold too tightly and get the drums hot on the highway, or freeze up, or squeal and become obnoxious, etc. etc. And then you end up having to take the assembly apart and adjust which gets annoying. So I just learned to use the parking brake sparingly and when needed, i.e. on an incline. If I'm just pulling into my residential garage, or a totally level parking space at Walmart, it's less wear and tear on the system to ignore the parking brake.

More than anything, my curiosity just lies in why this '22 shifts like a snail taking downers when my '20 shifted crisp and quick....and why does the truck have several inches of play in it while in park when the '20 I had last didn't? It's just odd.....being the same trans and all.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Honestly? Because in my experience parking brakes become nightmares to keep adjusted properly over time. They can end up not holding properly, or hold too tightly and get the drums hot on the highway, or freeze up, or squeal and become obnoxious, etc. etc. And then you end up having to take the assembly apart and adjust which gets annoying. So I just learned to use the parking brake sparingly and when needed, i.e. on an incline. If I'm just pulling into my residential garage, or a totally level parking space at Walmart, it's less wear and tear on the system to ignore the parking brake.

More than anything, my curiosity just lies in why this '22 shifts like a snail taking downers when my '20 shifted crisp and quick....and why does the truck have several inches of play in it while in park when the '20 I had last didn't? It's just odd.....being the same trans and all.
Is your experience from not using the parking brake regularly? I've used the parking brakes regularly in all my vehicles pretty much ever. My experience has been when used all the time, they keep themselves adjusted properly (I've never had any wear out that the shoes/pads need replacing) and the mechanism stays in good working condition even living in a state that salts in the winter. I've only ever seen them bind/not release when rarely used.

Also to keep in mind, they are the final emergency brakes if all else fails so keeping them in good working condition with regular use just makes sense.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is your experience from not using the parking brake regularly? I've used the parking brakes regularly in all my vehicles pretty much ever. My experience has been when used all the time, they keep themselves adjusted properly (I've never had any wear out that the shoes/pads need replacing) and the mechanism stays in good working condition even living in a state that salts in the winter. I've only ever seen them bind/not release when rarely used.

Also to keep in mind, they are the final emergency brakes if all else fails so keeping them in good working condition with regular use just makes sense.
I second that, I’ve only owned two cars so I don’t have many examples but I’ve used the parking brake from day 1 with my ram and I’m at 45,000 miles with no brake issues. Same thing with my other car

ncgrl1

Reaction score
This may help you a little bit on the difference. While both the Hemi and EcoDiesel use the same transmission theoretically, the Hemi transmission is manufactured by Ram under license to ZF. The EcoDiesel for unknown reasons gets a ZF manufactured transmission. My only reasoning could be the extra torque from the diesel. They both use the same numbers, but there has to be some differences.

Users who are viewing this thread