5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22" Factory Rim A/T Tire Input

PNW1500

Reaction score
I bought my '21 Limited a month ago. I've been reading over articles and searching forums for information on new AT tires. I had Falken Wildpeaks on my last car (SUV) and thought it was an excellent year round tire with everything I threw at it. I was going to get Wildpeaks again, but they are limited in sizes and the Toyo Open Country looks like a great tire in the snow as well, which is very important to me.

I've narrowed my search down to 3 tires:

305/45r22 Toyo Open Country A/T III
285/50r22 Toyo Open Country A/T III
285/45r22 Toyo Open Country A/T III or Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

The top 3 three things I'm looking for in a new tire, in order of most important:
1. Performance/Comfort
2. Gas Mileage hit
3. Looks

This is where I'm looking for feedback.
Does either the 305/45r22 or 285/50r22 provide a smoother ride with the little bit of extra rubber?

Did you see a mileage hit going to either of those sizes over the stock Goodyears? I read somebody had a 5-6 mpg hit with 305/45r22...that doesn't seem accurate.

Does anybody have a picture of their truck with the factory size 285/45r22 in an AT tire? I'm curious how it looks. That factory size looks a little anemic in the stock Goodyear.

The 285/50r22 in the Toyo is an LT tire. It has a higher load index and a lower mileage warranty. Anything else I'd be missing about an LT tire?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following. I've been toying with this ever since I bought my 19 Limited a couple years ago. Your criteria seems similar to mine. I'll be very, very interested in your final decision and satisfaction with what you choose.

Wtray

Reaction score
I have the 305/45 R22 Toyo OCIII. I did take a 3 MPG hit since putting these on. Love the feel of the tire and am trying to dial in the right Air pressure for the best MPG for this tire. currently running them at 43 PSI as 40 PSI felt a little soft and just felt like the rolling friction of the tire was holding the truck back.
1. Performance and comfort - Excellent. Took the truck to a Hike and drove along some national park trail roads. Handled great and maintained 2WD through some decent incline and decline dirt roads.
2. Gas Mileage hit - Approx 3 MPG
3. Looks. Love the look.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 313

pinzg35

Reaction score
Lots of great threads about this on the forum about this topic. I was torn on 33x12.50r22 vs 285/55/22 Toyo AT3s but after some great input from other members, will most likely go with the 285/55s. Yes their is minor inner lining rubbing but easily addressable so not too worried. The 33s look great as well but having a little more meat with the 285/55 fills the wheel well nicely! Also sounds like with the 285/55 the MPG hit is 1-2 from what I was told and the AT3s are not loud. Obviously most likely won't be as quiet as the stock GYs, but I feel like those tires should have never came on the truck!

doolin64

Reaction score
I'm going to be switching from Maxxis AT-811 (285/55R22) to Toyo Open Country AT3's on Monday. I'm switching to a 295/55R22. The Maxxis are called an all terrain but they are more hybrid like the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

With my current set up with the 285's and my speedo adjusted, I've lost about 2mpg in mixed driving. I was getting mid to upper 16's. Not I'm at 15mpg.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have any experience with 22” tires but I always like to tell people if you can avoid going with an LT tire you’ll be happier. There is just no way around it, LT tires are heavier and ride harsher even if aired down.

PNW1500

Reaction score
I have the 305/45 R22 Toyo OCIII. I did take a 3 MPG hit since putting these on. Love the feel of the tire and am trying to dial in the right Air pressure for the best MPG for this tire. currently running them at 43 PSI as 40 PSI felt a little soft and just felt like the rolling friction of the tire was holding the truck back.
1. Performance and comfort - Excellent. Took the truck to a Hike and drove along some national park trail roads. Handled great and maintained 2WD through some decent incline and decline dirt roads.
3. Looks. Love the look.

Really helpful, thank you. They look amazing on your truck.

You like how they perform, but how would you compare the ride to the stock Goodyears? I test drove a Limited with 20s and mine (22s) and the 20s rode a bit softer, more comfortable, which makes sense. I'm wondering if the 305s are any smoother. I don't like getting a MPG hit, but if the ride is a little smoother, it might be worth it.

PNW1500

Reaction score
I don’t have any experience with 22” tires but I always like to tell people if you can avoid going with an LT tire you’ll be happier. There is just no way around it, LT tires are heavier and ride harsher even if aired down.
This is helpful. Part of my desire to change out the tires is to soften up the ride a little, so I should probably rule out LTs.

Reaction score
Personally, I would say go with the 285/50r22 Toyo Open Country A/T III. The size is perfect it's not too much but also looks pretty sick! You will have some road noise but that is why I am suggesting the smaller size just because it won't be as evident and loud. Also with those bigger wheels, tires and even when lifting the truck you will see a smaller hit on the gas mileage!

Domt1775

Reaction score
3. Looks. Love the look.

Can you post more pics ?? Looks good man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread