5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22” wheels with tires.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got the Laramie black appearance package as shown in the image. Comes with 22” wheels and tires. With that said, I never owned a truck. Are these tires and wheels capable of some light dirt/muddy roads? Not sure if they are or not. My truck is a 4x4.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Yes, they are capable... probably not ideal.. they certainly can get the job done at a light level.

What you risk is: if you flip a rock while on a trail, it is more likely to hit the rim, versus a fatter rubber sidewall, which it coukd bounce off of.

You will also feel every single divot in that light dirt trail, especially the slower you drive. The suspension, being a truck, is stiff the slower you drive. So any little tiny dip, you're gonna feel it. Versus a fatter sidewall, like what 18s or 17s give you, where the rubber absorbs a lot more.

With 22s, there is also less room for airing down your tires... which often helps with traction, both light duty and heavy duty trails. Airing down helps absorb bumps, but with the low profiles, doing so may absorb a LITTLE more bumps and a LITTLe more traction, at the vost of the 22 wheels being more exposed.

As far as mudding goes, depending on just how deep your talking about, if you only have 4 inches of mud, or 3, you're probably
...okay. Fatter sidewalls allow you more, obviously, due to more depth before alloy.

I dont want to discourage you from enjoying the woods...everyone should... but helping to advise of the risks and sacrifices involved.

Creep0321

Reaction score
That’s one of my main turnoffs with the black appearance package, and why I’m looking at the Sport (even though they are still 20”). I wish you could pick a smaller rim for $ off the package.

calvinjwilcox

Reaction score
So I got the Laramie black appearance package as shown in the image. Comes with 22” wheels and tires. With that said, I never owned a truck. Are these tires and wheels capable of some light dirt/muddy roads? Not sure if they are or not. My truck is a 4x4.
No. Absolutely not. If yours came with the Goodyear’s like mine, they’re horrible in light mud. The tread pattern doesn’t allow the mud to shed off. It cakes On super quick. Be prepared to slide until you get traction.

Light dirt....yeah your fine. Wet weather performance of the good years is atrocious.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, they are capable... probably not ideal.. they certainly can get the job done at a light level.

What you risk is: if you flip a rock while on a trail, it is more likely to hit the rim, versus a fatter rubber sidewall, which it coukd bounce off of.

You will also feel every single divot in that light dirt trail, especially the slower you drive. The suspension, being a truck, is stiff the slower you drive. So any little tiny dip, you're gonna feel it. Versus a fatter sidewall, like what 18s or 17s give you, where the rubber absorbs a lot more.

With 22s, there is also less room for airing down your tires... which often helps with traction, both light duty and heavy duty trails. Airing down helps absorb bumps, but with the low profiles, doing so may absorb a LITTLE more bumps and a LITTLe more traction, at the vost of the 22 wheels being more exposed.

As far as mudding goes, depending on just how deep your talking about, if you only have 4 inches of mud, or 3, you're probably
...okay. Fatter sidewalls allow you more, obviously, due to more depth before alloy.

I dont want to discourage you from enjoying the woods...everyone should... but helping to advise of the risks and sacrifices involved.
You’re not discouraging me at all. Very helpful is what your being. I don’t plan on going into the woods with the 22s. I just wanted to cross some dirt from the freeway to the street next to it due to traffic. I saw the wet dirt and grass and I just wondered about these tires. I plan on buying some off road tires for when I do plan on going into the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread