5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22” oem wheel with tire upgrade

Cross88

Reaction score
Looking for input on a 305/45 tire upgrade for the 22” oem wheels, I have the Laramie sport package so if you have pictures of the set up it would be appreciated. I’m looking more towards an all season like nitto 420 or equivalent but wouldn’t be apposed to a mild A/T. She’s a pavement princess, being a lowered 2wd, but I’m going to be towing. Thanks for your time and all inputs are appreciated. And yes I did do a search with not much conclusive feedback as most are running A/T.

LUXTRUK

Reaction score
Looking for input on a 305/45 tire upgrade for the 22” oem wheels, I have the Laramie sport package so if you have pictures of the set up it would be appreciated. I’m looking more towards an all season like nitto 420 or equivalent but wouldn’t be apposed to a mild A/T. She’s a pavement princess, being a lowered 2wd, but I’m going to be towing. Thanks for your time and all inputs are appreciated. And yes I did do a search with not much conclusive feedback as most are running A/T.

My truck is an on road only truck also. I love the look of an aggressive tire but great for road use. I used to do 24"-28" wheels on my trucks and SUV's but have kinda grown out of that. I would've done a 24" or 26" with an aggressive off road look on this truck if I could've gotten enough sidewalk to keep ride quality and not have "skinny" tire look if it didn't require life at cutting. I wanted as much wheel and tire as possible without touching the best ride quality I've ever had in a truck or SUV. I'VE had Escalade and Denali and neither match the ride or interior comfort of my 2019 RAM Limited. All that said, I stayed with 22" wheels but used Black Rhino wheels since I wasn't a fan of the semi polished and black factory 22"'s with the Ivory Tri Coat paint I wanted. Maybe the factory wheels would fit my taste of they were high polished, chrome or even an all black but I found Black Rhino wheels I really like and put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on them. I'm using 305/45 22. That's basically a 33X12.5 22 without the weight and harsh ride if the LT rated 33X12.5. My wheel/tire combo is actually lighter than stock so no power was lost, gas milage stayed the same for City and increased slightly on highway. I've seen several new RAM's on 24" with 35's with no suspension mods but they do rub and not many choices for a quality light weight tire. I love the truck on this forum with 26" American Force wheels and 37"'s but i refuse to cut fenders, lose power and ride. A supercharger and enough money in suspension would make it nice but it's just too much for my everyday truck. Anyway, my Nitto Ridge Grapplers 305/45 22 not only look amazing (people compliment my truck all the time) but they ride better than the stock all season 285/45 22 Bridgestone tires. Since they aren't LT rated they are very soft riding. They are just enough stiffer that the truck handles better, feels more planted in turns but no compromise on ride. To be such an aggressive off road tread pattern, they are super quiet. If they are louder than stock I haven't noticed it because the truck is so quiet. I also have Borla S-Type Exhaust and on two recent road trips my wife commented on how quiet and smooth the truck is with cruise set at 76mph. I've used the Nitto 420's before on 24" and larger wheels on SUV but they look very "car" like to me and the ride isn't better than the much beefier/aggressive/off road but not too Off Road like a Mud Tire. If the Ridge Grapplers are more aggressive than the look you like there are Toyo, Hankook and several others. I love the Ridge Grapplers look and it still surprises me I have no noise and ride is softer than stock. Most pics are at "Normal" ride height. There is a CPL at "Entrt/Exit" and the one in the sand that shows the tread pattern so well is "Off Road 2". I just wanted a pic of a slight lifted look with sand showing how aggressive the tires look. I never use the truck in any mode except Normal and Aero(speeds over 60mph for any distance like interstate driving) I actually keep Auto Aero off because I hit speeds over 60mph a lot back and forth to work but for only short times (I live in old downtown Raleigh NC) So I don't want the truck constantly lowering and rising with changes in speed. I frequently come out of work to find other new RAM'S parked with me. There is nice side by side of another 2019 Limited on stock 22" wheels with stock 285/45 tires to see how 305/45 22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers fill the well much better and give the truck a much tough truck look without taking away the class and luxury these trucks have. So many people compare the interior to S Class Mercedes and the exterior has a very classy look also and I feel I kept and improved that look with the wheels and tires I bought. I've seen several trucks on here in different colors with same tires on stock wheels and they look really good, Especially a guy with a dark charcoal/graphite color. So the tires can look really good on stock 22"wheels, I just felt the wheels clashed really bad against the Ivory Pearl paint I ordered. If I could've seen a truck the same color with polished and black 22" wheels I wouldn't have wasted the money adding them when ordering the truck. Seeing it on RAM website I thought It looked nice but when I saw my truck in person I immediately didn't like the the wheels and tires. I decided to sell the wheels since spent another $6k immediately after buying the truck on ceramic tint, Husky X-Act floor mats, Borla S-Type Exhaust, aFe Stage 2 Magnum CAI and Pulsar tuner and I knew I'd never use the stock wheels and tires again. One last thing, I've got exactly 6k miles on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and I can honestly say I can't tell any signs of wear yet so I feel they will be very last lasting tire especially to be so soft with such an aggressive tread pattern. Hope this helps if you haven't already bought tires. 24FA76D2-E99B-42DE-BEB4-AF8ADA7CE3FE.jpeg 1AD34251-CD78-4880-9D71-A8895869718C.png 513EB89F-01B6-4F91-9981-69BCB8642101.jpeg 9F1028A3-68D6-4C9C-A9AD-475FC3AD1507.jpeg 525C5BA9-E1A9-4202-8656-7FEC84D28ED1.jpeg 30380D7D-7016-4FFE-952A-2F2E06BF67E8.jpeg A9EE0750-DEDC-47B3-8D53-F231F4E6C858.jpeg B88AB091-A6E7-460E-B021-582E91E4B308.jpeg 871F339D-133F-4D54-A05C-33BEFDC432F0.jpeg 39B3AA7C-0F10-41C1-991D-B17F3D74134E.jpeg

djjr50

Reaction score
My truck is an on road only truck also. I love the look of an aggressive tire but great for road use. I used to do 24"-28" wheels on my trucks and SUV's but have kinda grown out of that. I would've done a 24" or 26" with an aggressive off road look on this truck if I could've gotten enough sidewalk to keep ride quality and not have "skinny" tire look if it didn't require life at cutting. I wanted as much wheel and tire as possible without touching the best ride quality I've ever had in a truck or SUV. I'VE had Escalade and Denali and neither match the ride or interior comfort of my 2019 RAM Limited. All that said, I stayed with 22" wheels but used Black Rhino wheels since I wasn't a fan of the semi polished and black factory 22"'s with the Ivory Tri Coat paint I wanted. Maybe the factory wheels would fit my taste of they were high polished, chrome or even an all black but I found Black Rhino wheels I really like and put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on them. I'm using 305/45 22. That's basically a 33X12.5 22 without the weight and harsh ride if the LT rated 33X12.5. My wheel/tire combo is actually lighter than stock so no power was lost, gas milage stayed the same for City and increased slightly on highway. I've seen several new RAM's on 24" with 35's with no suspension mods but they do rub and not many choices for a quality light weight tire. I love the truck on this forum with 26" American Force wheels and 37"'s but i refuse to cut fenders, lose power and ride. A supercharger and enough money in suspension would make it nice but it's just too much for my everyday truck. Anyway, my Nitto Ridge Grapplers 305/45 22 not only look amazing (people compliment my truck all the time) but they ride better than the stock all season 285/45 22 Bridgestone tires. Since they aren't LT rated they are very soft riding. They are just enough stiffer that the truck handles better, feels more planted in turns but no compromise on ride. To be such an aggressive off road tread pattern, they are super quiet. If they are louder than stock I haven't noticed it because the truck is so quiet. I also have Borla S-Type Exhaust and on two recent road trips my wife commented on how quiet and smooth the truck is with cruise set at 76mph. I've used the Nitto 420's before on 24" and larger wheels on SUV but they look very "car" like to me and the ride isn't better than the much beefier/aggressive/off road but not too Off Road like a Mud Tire. If the Ridge Grapplers are more aggressive than the look you like there are Toyo, Hankook and several others. I love the Ridge Grapplers look and it still surprises me I have no noise and ride is softer than stock. Most pics are at "Normal" ride height. There is a CPL at "Entrt/Exit" and the one in the sand that shows the tread pattern so well is "Off Road 2". I just wanted a pic of a slight lifted look with sand showing how aggressive the tires look. I never use the truck in any mode except Normal and Aero(speeds over 60mph for any distance like interstate driving) I actually keep Auto Aero off because I hit speeds over 60mph a lot back and forth to work but for only short times (I live in old downtown Raleigh NC) So I don't want the truck constantly lowering and rising with changes in speed. I frequently come out of work to find other new RAM'S parked with me. There is nice side by side of another 2019 Limited on stock 22" wheels with stock 285/45 tires to see how 305/45 22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers fill the well much better and give the truck a much tough truck look without taking away the class and luxury these trucks have. So many people compare the interior to S Class Mercedes and the exterior has a very classy look also and I feel I kept and improved that look with the wheels and tires I bought. I've seen several trucks on here in different colors with same tires on stock wheels and they look really good, Especially a guy with a dark charcoal/graphite color. So the tires can look really good on stock 22"wheels, I just felt the wheels clashed really bad against the Ivory Pearl paint I ordered. If I could've seen a truck the same color with polished and black 22" wheels I wouldn't have wasted the money adding them when ordering the truck. Seeing it on RAM website I thought It looked nice but when I saw my truck in person I immediately didn't like the the wheels and tires. I decided to sell the wheels since spent another $6k immediately after buying the truck on ceramic tint, Husky X-Act floor mats, Borla S-Type Exhaust, aFe Stage 2 Magnum CAI and Pulsar tuner and I knew I'd never use the stock wheels and tires again. One last thing, I've got exactly 6k miles on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and I can honestly say I can't tell any signs of wear yet so I feel they will be very last lasting tire especially to be so soft with such an aggressive tread pattern. Hope this helps if you haven't already bought tires. View attachment 39277 View attachment 39278 View attachment 39279 View attachment 39281 View attachment 39282 View attachment 39284 View attachment 39285 View attachment 39286 View attachment 39287 View attachment 39289
How much does the stock wheels (mainly interested in the weight of the rims) weigh? I like the cleaner spoke design on your wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread