5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21 Ram1500 Ecodiessel ORG, tire question and options.

flyingpoint

Reaction score
It is about 63k miles on the truck now from almost 2 years driving. These stock Falken wildpeak at3w 275/55/R20 tires have been hold up pretty good for my 80% freeway, 15% city, and less than 5% unpaved driving style. However, I started to notice the little vibration since 60k on the freeway for around 65 mph, and some rubbing sounds at low speed. There is one tire (picture #1,2) shows more worn than other 3 (picture 3). I do tire rotation every 10k when the truck is back to dealer for regular routine service. Also there is a bit of peeled off from one of the tire's side wall (picture#4). Other than that, the truck drives OK and feels fine.
Here are the questions.
1. Based on the conditions such as the depth of tread, how many more miles life left on these Falken tires?
2. Is it safe to drive with that side wall damage?
3. Any new tire recommendation beside Continantal Terrain Contract A/T or HT? There are some good reviews on that model on the forums. How about Michelines? I would prefer comfort and quiet for the new shoes.
4. Should I do the alignment before or after putting on the new tires?

Lots thanks for the reply!

flyingpoint

Reaction score
1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 17

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got 38K on my Wildpeaks. I have noticed a vibration at 70+ MPH that starts to shake the
steering wheel. I just thought they needed rebalancing, but a co worker who used to be a tire guy,
showed me the front tire with Cups and Depressions that ran across the tread. This tire has
manufacturing defects and I need to take it in for warranty. I have to remove my hubcentric
wheel spacers first.

When it is time to replace the set I will be going with the Michelin Defender LTX . I have been running them
on my '08 Big Horn for years now.

Malodave

bucolic

Reaction score
Those wore very well. I have always noticed that once tires get up there in miles the ride tends to go away. I am always replacing mine based on the ride quality other than how much tread is left. The tire shop is telling me I have another 5,000 miles of tread left but I swap them out anyways and then the vehicle rides like a new car. Nothing sweeter than a new set of tires!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Wildpeaks have a 55K mile Warranty. The Michelin Defenders have a 70K mile Warranty.

Malodave

flyingpoint

Reaction score
I've got 38K on my Wildpeaks. I have noticed a vibration at 70+ MPH that starts to shake the
steering wheel. I just thought they needed rebalancing, but a co worker who used to be a tire guy,
showed me the front tire with Cups and Depressions that ran across the tread. This tire has
manufacturing defects and I need to take it in for warranty. I have to remove my hubcentric
wheel spacers first.

When it is time to replace the set I will be going with the Michelin Defender LTX . I have been running them
on my '08 Big Horn for years now.

Malodave
Thank you Malodave for the input. I am pretty much set on the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Need to get it done before the winter because we are planning to go up Tahoe with the truck for the holidays.

flyingpoint

Reaction score
Those wore very well. I have always noticed that once tires get up there in miles the ride tends to go away. I am always replacing mine based on the ride quality other than how much tread is left. The tire shop is telling me I have another 5,000 miles of tread left but I swap them out anyways and then the vehicle rides like a new car. Nothing sweeter than a new set of tires!
Since the tread warranty is for 55k miles only I assumed the ride quality should change after that.

Users who are viewing this thread