5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21 ram 1500 sway while towing

ram 1500 4x4

Reaction score
I pull a 26ft tongue pull camper it weights 4,260 dry weight. My ram sways quite a bit i dont feel comfortable foing over 60 mph. I have Michelin LT tires. My camper rides level. I use everything I am supposed to use. While pulling I don't really see the camper swaying much just the truck. I was wonder if I need to upgrade to a heavier suspension or what might be the cause? What suspension upgrades are recommended?

Gren71

Reaction score
WDH?

Sway control?

poorly distributed load inside the camper?

Water in your tanks? (sloshes back and forth)

Bad roads?

inappropriate tire inflation on the trailer?

single axle or double axle camper?

just a windy day / travel?

as far as upgrades I have sumo springs on the travel trailer that help a LOT with side to side motion while pulling. I also use a WDH and just put the airlift 1000 bags in. Over all I am pleased with the stance and feel of the trailer while pulling now.

ram 1500 4x4

Reaction score
Your using a weight distribution hitch right?
Yes. Im even useing the sway control kit. That's why I am thinking it could be my truck. The trailer is rides level. The truck squats a little but not enough to take alot weight of the front end.

ram 1500 4x4

Reaction score
WDH? Yes

Sway control? Yes

poorly distributed load inside the camper? No just clothes food. Few more things but not to make that much weight difference.

Water in your tanks? (sloshes back and forth) No tanks completely empty when traveling
Bad roads? No

inappropriate tire inflation on the trailer? Tire are Aired up to the right pressure

single axle or double axle camper? Double axle

just a windy day / travel? Normally any where from 5 to 15 mph

as far as upgrades I have sumo springs on the travel trailer that help a LOT with side to side motion while pulling. I also use a WDH and just put the airlift 1000 bags in. Over all I am pleased with the stance and feel of the trailer while pulling now.

Gren71

Reaction score
when you say the trailer rides level do you mean that you measured the frame front and back and its the same? or it just looks level? I ask because I eyeballed it with my first camper and had a LOT of sway with it regardless of what i didn. Once I did the measurements I found that I was a little tongue high. Once I lowered the front end of the camper a small amout by adjusting my WDH the entire thing rode a lot nicer. same church but different pew, is an underweight tongue. If there isnt enough weight in the front and its over distributed, than it will sway a lot.

Video for reference

Could also just be that the WDH youre using isnt the best option for your current trailer. Another personal experience is that with my first TT i had a older chain style WDH with an additional sway piece on it. Worked well for my first camper, awful for the second (larger) one. I got the equalizer 4 point and it was a night and dy improvement in handling and overall experience.

If everything eslse is just us shooting in the dark Id look at the airlift 1000 bags. Theyre inexpensive on amazon, VERY easy to install, and are a nice addition. Ive had them on both my gladiator and now this ram and am pleased.

Luv2fly3

Reaction score
I'd also recommend that if you have everything else in line that has been mentioned, and you still feel sway, really give the ProPride hitch a serious look. They aren't cheap, but I can tell you as an owner of two of them that they eliminate sway...not control but eliminate it. I hate sway at any level. I won't ever pull a travel trailer without a PP at this point. That's not to say there aren't other good WD hitches out there. But the PP is in a different class with it's unique design. A Hensley is another option, but the PP builds on that older design with some new features. With a PP, my Cougar 22RBS behind my '22 1500 Laramie pulls great! Zero sway!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have air suspension did you put it in tire jack mode while hooking up and adjusting the WDH?

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
what wdh do you have? i had a curt one prior to my Hensley and it was worth its weight in scrap metal

Gren71

Reaction score
I'd also recommend that if you have everything else in line that has been mentioned, and you still feel sway, really give the ProPride hitch a serious look. They aren't cheap, but I can tell you as an owner of two of them that they eliminate sway...not control but eliminate it. I hate sway at any level. I won't ever pull a travel trailer without a PP at this point. That's not to say there aren't other good WD hitches out there. But the PP is in a different class with it's unique design. A Hensley is another option, but the PP builds on that older design with some new features. With a PP, my Cougar 22RBS behind my '22 1500 Laramie pulls great! Zero sway!
this thing looks like a complicated erector set! Is it actually east to hook up?

Luv2fly3

Reaction score
this thing looks like a complicated erector set! Is it actually east to hook up?
I find it actually easier once you get the process down. You don't have to remove the WD bars and once you have it dialed in for your particular setup, the hook in my opinion is easier and faster. And it literally eliminates sway...not controls it, but eliminates it. They're not cheap, but worth every penny and an investment you can move from trailer to trailer if you upgrade or get a different one.

Users who are viewing this thread