5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20's or 22's?

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I'm looking for advise so don't blast me too hard. Lol. I come from the Modern Mopar world and drive a 300 SRT. 22's are pretty common there and I have them on my car. I'm looking for new wheels for my Limited 4x4. I currently have the factory 20's and have been looking at some Fuel and Black Rhino 20 and 22" models. I've noticed there aren't many of you that run aftermarket 22's. Is there a reason for this? I know there's more selection when it comes to tires and wheels at 20 but there's lots of 22's too.

I've decided to go with the new Fuel Rebel wheel in gray. The 20x9" comes in a +1 offset which would bring it flush with the edge of the fender. The 22x10" version comes in a -13 offset which would stick out past the fender a little. I'm really having trouble deciding which route to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I think people stay away from 22" since even though they might not be diehard offroaders, they still want to know they have some meat on their wheels for that every once in a while offroad use, hunting trips or camping. For me the most Offroad I would do is that gravel road that takes you to the camp site and or the fishing spot. I don't plan on any offroading since well I have never been and no need for it.

Where I do spend most of my time is on the freeway and love how the 22"s feel, a tighter more sportier drive. So make your truck for where you plan on driving and makes you feel more comfortable.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
i like the look of the 20" Limiteds, mine came with the 22s and I got rid of them fast. Ride is smoother too

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
id vote for 20s, only because you can get better tire options and prices in that size.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my 22" wheels but I completely get the "more meat" on the wheel for off roading and also to avoid rim rash. I was just looking on discount tire for replacement 22" tires. I have found that the 305 45 22s are cheaper than the 285 45 22" and since they are .7 inch taller and .8 inch wider they will offer more rim protection without rubbing.

agjr85

Reaction score
I think people stay away from 22" since even though they might not be diehard offroaders, they still want to know they have some meat on their wheels for that every once in a while offroad use, hunting trips or camping. For me the most Offroad I would do is that gravel road that takes you to the camp site and or the fishing spot. I don't plan on any offroading since well I have never been and no need for it.

Where I do spend most of my time is on the freeway and love how the 22"s feel, a tighter more sportier drive. So make your truck for where you plan on driving and makes you feel more comfortable.

Mind me asking why you went with 305-40 and not 305-45 ?

agjr85

Reaction score
Really depends on how you use and where you drive your truck. I've been into dropped trucks with 40 - 45 series trucks and never had issues.
My 4Gen was dropped on 285-45-22 and it rode well and didn't have to avoid everything on the road. 285-45-22 is a common size from OEM, so it isn't proven in that sense.
I will say the 305-45-22 fills up the wheel wells and offers more sidewall and wheel protection.

So in summary, go with what you know will keep you happy. 20"s, of course, will provide you with more sidewall since you can easily go 275/60 or 285/60 etc..

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Mind me asking why you went with 305-40 and not 305-45 ?
I wanted that sportier look and feel on the freeway. I love how tight/firm it feels around town, I do have the air suspension which gives a really nice ride. 305/45 and the slightly taller 33" tires look good really good too.

Cmn987

Reaction score
I went with 20X10s and 33” Toyo

Attachments

• F6088C76-9734-4A3E-B02C-5628984479B1.jpeg
    F6088C76-9734-4A3E-B02C-5628984479B1.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 172

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I decided to stop second guessing myself and get the 22’s like I wanted. I ordered the Fuel Rebel 22x10” this afternoon. I’ll get the Hankook Dynapro AT2’s locally. Americas Tire had the same prices as the online stores. This way I can have my TPMS sensors switched over and save some money. Aluminum hub centric rings on their way too. I can’t wait to post pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolverine2543

Reaction score
What size hub Centric Rings did you get? Did they work? I can’t get a def answer on hub size of the new ram. I’m interested in the Hankins as well. How’s the road noise with them??

rsmeanie

Reaction score
What size hub Centric Rings did you get? Did they work? I can’t get a def answer on hub size of the new ram. I’m interested in the Hankins as well. How’s the road noise with them??

The RAM is 77.8mm. The rings I bought didn't get shipped til Friday but the wheels came with plastic ones anyway, two different sizes and one of them was perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread