5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM Lane Centering

knelso4

Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading from 2019 Laramie. Most online info says lane centering is on "approved" highways but the owners manual says marked roads. Which is correct? Also, does "hands on the wheel" really mean steering input (like on my 2019) or do they now use a touch sensor? And if so, is it both hands as implied by documentation? I drive our Tucson with one hand on the bottom and try to remember to put a bit of pressure on the steering wheel before the warning is displayed. (Can be up to 2 minutes of hands free driving....)

Is the lane centering near perfect? Or does it hug corners, ping pong, drive toward one side of the lane, drift across the lane marker, etc? Getting it right should be fairly easy software.

azzx

Reaction score
Lane centering feature is not hands-free driving!
The roads must have clear lane markings. Without it will not work. even then, your hands must be on the wheel.
If you mean the available self-driving option, then that is a totally diff tech/functionality

knelso4

Reaction score
Not what I asked..... I fully understand the difference. Do you have first hand experience with RAM lane centering? There is nothing on lots within 100 miles that has the package with that feature so I can't try it. Web sites disagree with the owners manual, so I would like to hear from owners.

azzx

Reaction score
My 25 has lane keep assist.
I cant find any references to RAM "lane centering" functionality.
I know the higher trim levels have the self driving option for pre mapped roads

knelso4

Reaction score
I want first hand knowledge. As I said, web sites and owners manual disagree. I tend to believe the manual. But I also want a subjective opinion about the quality of the feature.

btw, lane centering is part of Base Active Driving Assist.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want first hand knowledge. As I said, web sites and owners manual disagree. I tend to believe the manual. But I also want a subjective opinion about the quality of the feature.

I would imagine it's very similar to "lane keep assist" versus Super Cruise or Blue Cruise.

Danatanchor

Reaction score

I have a 2025 Laramie with the lane assist. The system works on any road with lines, as well as roads with no lines. It will pick up the side of the road and any center seams in the concrete or asphalt. There is a option to adjust the sensitivity in the set up menu as well. Works similar to your Tuscon, where you need to touch the steering wheel or you get the warning. It adjusts pretty smoothly if you wander to close to a line. Can't say about how it adjusts hands free into a curve, as I do not drive in that manner. The adaptive and lane assist on the 1500 are better that it was on the 2020 Chrysler 300 I had prior. They seemed to have improved the electronic performance. Hope this answers your question.

azzx

Reaction score
To be honest, I find this feature a "good nanny" forcing me to use the blinkers when changing lanes.
I have tried all of the available settings for this feature, and to me, this is not a true lane-centering feature. you can increase/decrease the distance between the side markings. It kind of attempts to center, however too much wandering for me.
I tried it again early this morning with no traffic on the FWY, it does its job to a point. it wanders from left to right and kind of tries to keep you in the middle. It does not work effectively around the curves.

As it relates to the adaptive CC, I have tried it, it works picking up cars a head of me and adjusting the speed accordingly, good for a relaxing FWY drive.
I don't like the hard braking action when getting off ramp -- stopping from 65 mph to zero! I don't trust it in situations like this.

knelso4

Reaction score
To be honest, I find this feature a "good nanny" forcing me to use the blinkers when changing lanes.
I have tried all of the available settings for this feature, and to me, this is not a true lane-centering feature. you can increase/decrease the distance between the side markings. It kind of attempts to center, however too much wandering for me.
I tried it again early this morning with no traffic on the FWY, it does its job to a point. it wanders from left to right and kind of tries to keep you in the middle. It does not work effectively around the curves.

As it relates to the adaptive CC, I have tried it, it works picking up cars a head of me and adjusting the speed accordingly, good for a relaxing FWY drive.
I don't like the hard braking action when getting off ramp -- stopping from 65 mph to zero! I don't trust it in situations like this.
Since your bio says you have a Big Horn, it only has Lane Keep Assist. Advanced Safety Group II is only available on Laramie and above, and that is required for Active Driving Assist System. The current Lane Keep is helpful, but certainly isn't lane centering. ACC is great, and I always disengage when I get to an exit.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading from 2019 Laramie. Most online info says lane centering is on "approved" highways but the owners manual says marked roads. Which is correct? Also, does "hands on the wheel" really mean steering input (like on my 2019) or do they now use a touch sensor? And if so, is it both hands as implied by documentation? I drive our Tucson with one hand on the bottom and try to remember to put a bit of pressure on the steering wheel before the warning is displayed. (Can be up to 2 minutes of hands free driving....)

Is the lane centering near perfect? Or does it hug corners, ping pong, drive toward one side of the lane, drift across the lane marker, etc? Getting it right should be fairly easy software.
It uses GPS to allow you to use on approved, mapped roads like GM and Ford. You need to have one hand on the wheel to provide resistance. You could hang a weight on the wheel like people do with the Ford system.

For true hands free, you can use a Comma AI like many of us. But not yet ready for the 25+ yet.

knelso4

Reaction score
I have a 2025 Laramie with the lane assist. The system works on any road with lines, as well as roads with no lines. It will pick up the side of the road and any center seams in the concrete or asphalt. There is a option to adjust the sensitivity in the set up menu as well. Works similar to your Tuscon, where you need to touch the steering wheel or you get the warning. It adjusts pretty smoothly if you wander to close to a line. Can't say about how it adjusts hands free into a curve, as I do not drive in that manner. The adaptive and lane assist on the 1500 are better that it was on the 2020 Chrysler 300 I had prior. They seemed to have improved the electronic performance. Hope this answers your question.
THANKS for the first hand report. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

btw, I tried Comma3X. It worked fine on the Tucson, a bit better than stock lane centering. For some reason the camera wouldn't even come on with the RAM. There were others who had no problems. Since I was thinking of upgrading anyway, I sent it back.

vincentw56

Reaction score
THANKS for the first hand report. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

btw, I tried Comma3X. It worked fine on the Tucson, a bit better than stock lane centering. For some reason the camera wouldn't even come on with the RAM. There were others who had no problems. Since I was thinking of upgrading anyway, I sent it back.
Too bad you didn't look us up on Discord. We could have helped you get it running. We have a whole Ram OP Discord server.

azzx

Reaction score
Since your bio says you have a Big Horn, it only has Lane Keep Assist. Advanced Safety Group II is only available on Laramie and above, and that is required for Active Driving Assist System. The current Lane Keep is helpful, but certainly isn't lane centering. ACC is great, and I always disengage when I get to an exit.
Good to know - thanks

knelso4

Reaction score
Too bad you didn't look us up on Discord. We could have helped you get it running. We have a whole Ram OP Discord server.
I looked there... and really dislike Discord! Comma customer service gave some suggestions that didn't work. I cleared and reinstalled OpenPilot, which included OS re-install. Didn't help. Instructions to re-flash from Windows didn't even work so perhaps there was a device problem. Plugging in OBD sent a signal to the Comma so at least some of that was fine. Best guess is defective Y harness. But my background is software and not hardware, so that's just a guess. It did a GREAT job tracking lane lines (marking them with green) plus road edge (in red). On multi-lane it would stay closer to the right edge of the right lane, but perfectly centered in left or center on I-75. It tended to hug the inside of turns a bit, and lane change was more abrupt than it should be. I was using SunnyPilot on the Tucson. FrogPilot seemed like the focus was on gimmicks, and the frog "croak" was just plain dumb! Open Source is great if the best of the forks are merged back to the base, but it seems like Comma needed a strong software product manager. Get lane centering PERFECT before going after E2E navigation. But I understand that's a lot more fun!

Thanks again for your help. I still haven't decided on the upgrade and am slightly tempted to wait for RAMCharger -- but expect at least $15K more and I can't really say I need it.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'd be wrong.
Nope, I'm referring to the STOCK system, not one you hack...

Screenshot_20240616_145328_Chrome.jpg

You can hack the system on '19-'24s, from my understanding. This is NOT the same as a factory self driving system like Super Cruise or Blue Cruise...as I stated in my above post. Super Cruise can do auto lane changes, the 2025 Ram Lane Keep Assist surely cannot, in its stock form...

@knelso4 have you driven something with Super Cruise or Blue Cruise? That is likely what Rams system will be like. The roads need to be "mapped" out in their system or it will disengage and say there is no road data...

vincentw56

Reaction score

View attachment 184865

You can hack the system on '19-'24s, from my understanding. This is NOT the same as a factory self driving system like Super Cruise or Blue Cruise...as I stated in my above post. Super Cruise can do auto lane changes, the 2025 Ram Lane Keep Assist surely cannot, in its stock form...

@knelso4 have you driven something with Super Cruise or Blue Cruise? That is likely what Rams system will be like. The roads need to be "mapped" out in their system or it will disengage and say there is no road data...
You cannot hack the systems on a 19-24. You can add a device called a Comma to it, but it is far from a hack. And it works way better than Super Cruise or Blue Cruise and better than the new factory Ram system.

And the new factory system on the 25+ system works the same or very similar to Super Cruise and Blue Cruise. It may not have all the features, but it is NOT lane keep assist (LKAS) that we have now on 19-24.

knelso4

Reaction score

View attachment 184865

Blue Cruise gets great reviews -- but Ford is kind of proud of it. Hardware is on all vehicles (that can be supported) and software is enabled by subscription. That's tempting because most of my driving is local, but we sometimes travel with grand kids or pull a pop-up and I could enable it per month. Ford (and GM) have a lot better road coverage than RAM, and I haven't found anything about plans for RAM to cover more. I really don't understand why only mapped roads are supported. There will always be road construction that shifts a lane -- does it just give up, or does it follow the lines? And when lines are available, why the need for the map? I'm even OK with being responsible for decreasing speed on tighter curves, but a "good" vision system could look ahead at lane markings and calculate whether there is sufficient torque available to make the turn, or if the cruise speed is safe for the turn.

I like the idea of lane centering even for local driving. When my wife needs to get something or even pick up a cup, it seems like she takes her eyes off the road too long and sometimes does drift in the lane. From the owners manual and one response, it does seem that web sites got it wrong, and lane centering simply watches for lane lines or something that it can interpret as lines. Just like the Tucson.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I looked there... and really dislike Discord! Comma customer service gave some suggestions that didn't work. I cleared and reinstalled OpenPilot, which included OS re-install. Didn't help. Instructions to re-flash from Windows didn't even work so perhaps there was a device problem. Plugging in OBD sent a signal to the Comma so at least some of that was fine. Best guess is defective Y harness. But my background is software and not hardware, so that's just a guess. It did a GREAT job tracking lane lines (marking them with green) plus road edge (in red). On multi-lane it would stay closer to the right edge of the right lane, but perfectly centered in left or center on I-75. It tended to hug the inside of turns a bit, and lane change was more abrupt than it should be. I was using SunnyPilot on the Tucson. FrogPilot seemed like the focus was on gimmicks, and the frog "croak" was just plain dumb! Open Source is great if the best of the forks are merged back to the base, but it seems like Comma needed a strong software product manager. Get lane centering PERFECT before going after E2E navigation. But I understand that's a lot more fun!

Thanks again for your help. I still haven't decided on the upgrade and am slightly tempted to wait for RAMCharger -- but expect at least $15K more and I can't really say I need it.
The biggest issue is data. They don't collect data from forks other than their official one. Makes it difficult to train the AI model properly for all the vehicles. But the Comma device is more than a "Lane Centering" device. It is an AI driving device so sometimes it isn't perfectly centered.

Users who are viewing this thread