5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM 1500 weird transfer case noise when sitting in a garage

delsonrun

Reaction score
I have a brand new 2025 RAM 1500 Laramie with 3.0 Hurricane S/O. During the first month of ownership I regularly heard these noises coming out of the transfer case of my truck while it was sitting in the garage. It happens with random intervals, even when I don't drive the truck for a few days. This usually happens 10-15 times in a row until the truck calms itself down again. Sometimes the dash lights up during these events.
The actual sound is very similar to the one you hear if you switch from 4WD to 2WD and back.
Has anyone experienced that, why would the truck do that?

Here is a short clip:

Yes, exactly, sounds like it's trying to shift on its own after sitting in the garage for some time. It was in 4WD Auto at the moment the video was shot, but I switched it to 2WD yesterday to see if it does it again. I had to drive the truck today which means it will be another day or so before it may start doing its thing again. We'll see! I'm curious if my truck is the only one that does so.

Heh, mine is doing the same thing. Its annoying; neighbors keep on asking whether there is something wrong with my truck and my wife keeps on joking that its a transformer in disguise.

I was trying to explain this to the dealer but I couldn't find the words; the dealer suggested it's the active grille shutters, but clearly, that's not even in the right place.
Mine has been doing this too since I got it in June; still doing it every couple of days.
I also have mine in 4WD Auto and the dash also lights up everytime.

Heh, mine is doing the same thing. Its annoying; neighbors keep on asking whether there is something wrong with my truck and my wife keeps on joking that its a transformer in disguise.

I was trying to explain this to the dealer but I couldn't find the words; the dealer suggested it's the active grille shutters, but clearly, that's not even in the right place.
Mine has been doing this too since I got it in June; still doing it every couple of days.
I also have mine in 4WD Auto and the dash also lights up everytime.
Does it still make the noise if you leave it in 2WD?

Wow that’s really weird! FYI, Those very early 25 trucks produced at model startup were pretty well rumored to have some jacked up wiring harnesses. I don’t know if that’s what is going on here but it would make me question that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back