5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram 1500 Hurricane SO towing test

MT755

Reaction score
TFL Truck tested the SO pulling a 11,000 trailer in 91 to 98 degree heat up a long 2 lane road. They had previously tested a 3.5 Ecoboost and Chevy 6.2 1500. Both of those trucks had overheated and they had to stop. The Hurricane made it all the way up with out a problem. But after they stopped the low oil pressure warning came on for a minute. I'm guessing the 0W-20 oil was very hot and thin and at idle, not building enough pressure and once it cooled off, the pressure increased. It sounds like if you're gonna pull it hard and in the heat, use 0w-40 oil.
It was steep enough that on the gravel, they needed to engage 4x4

MT755

Reaction score
It looks like heat is the main reason the new 2025s have a lower tow rating than the old Hemi. This must also be why the HO has a lower rating than the SO. More power, more heat. I know a bigger radiator and trans cooler would cost more but it would give the customer what we want

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It looks like heat is the main reason the new 2025s have a lower tow rating than the old Hemi. This must also be why the HO has a lower rating than the SO. More power, more heat. I know a bigger radiator and trans cooler would cost more but it would give the customer what we want

If thats indeed the issue, the aftermarket will fix that

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bet they lugged the damn engine the whole way up too. Not sure the to/haul mode on these new trucks but if the revs are below the torque peak - say less than 2,500 rpm - that’s relying on tons of boost, ergo heat. Not to mention less coolant flow.

MT755

Reaction score
They let the truck decide on the gear/rpm selection. The zf transmission do a really good job of gear selection for me

silver billet

Reaction score
I bet they lugged the damn engine the whole way up too. Not sure the to/haul mode on these new trucks but if the revs are below the torque peak - say less than 2,500 rpm - that’s relying on tons of boost, ergo heat. Not to mention less coolant flow.

It was revving way out at times. I remember thinking I'd never push it that hard but honestly hard to say that from a video of course.

IIRC the water pump is also electric, which means it's independent of engine rpms and it will stay on and cool the turbos when the engine is off hot.

silver billet

Reaction score
TFL Truck tested the SO pulling a 11,000 trailer in 91 to 98 degree heat up a long 2 lane road. They had previously tested a 3.5 Ecoboost and Chevy 6.2 1500. Both of those trucks had overheated and they had to stop. The Hurricane made it all the way up with out a problem. But after they stopped the low oil pressure warning came on for a minute. I'm guessing the 0W-20 oil was very hot and thin and at idle, not building enough pressure and once it cooled off, the pressure increased. It sounds like if you're gonna pull it hard and in the heat, use 0w-40 oil.
It was steep enough that on the gravel, they needed to engage 4x4

HO recommends 0w-40, I'd run that in the SO too :)

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was revving way out at times. I remember thinking I'd never push it that hard but honestly hard to say that from a video of course.

IIRC the water pump is also electric, which means it's independent of engine rpms and it will stay on and cool the turbos when the engine is off hot.

Interesting. If the pump is indeed electric and the trans tuning is good, that could well be why they did so well to make it all the way to the top!

Users who are viewing this thread