5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rebel vs Chevy LT Trail Boss vs Tremor

Reaction score
Hey Everyone -

This has probably been talked over millions of times, but I'm hoping to get some active feedback and this will probably be long winded. I'm coming from a 2020 Tacoma, that I absolutely can't stand. It drives terrible, has no power, and feels cheap. Plus I have two kids and its tiny.

I'm now searching for a new vehicle to replace the Tacoma. I've narrowed it down to a Rebel, a Tremor, or a 3.0 diesel Trail boss. I had the 5.7 in a few patrol cars in my previous line of work that I beat the **** out of and outside of the throttle lag, it was a great running and driving car. We blew up a few radiators, but those cars ran 12 hours straight in Georgia heat, so I won't even blame that lol.

I also had an 05 f150 with a 5.4 which was, somehow, an extremely reliable and great truck. I also had several Jeeps over the years from CJ's, to Daimler years, to a Jeep Liberty (drove great but fell apart at 40k miles).

Uses - I rarely tow, maybe a couple of jetski's here and there. I'd love to buy a boat in the future, but it will be under 6k pounds so I'm not worried about the towing too much. I go offroading on some light trails for hunting, but nothing major. Mainly use my truck for lumber yard trips for wood working and hauling random crap for the family.

So I've ruled out the Tundra just because I just don't really like Toyota unless it has Land Cruiser written on the back. Now I'm looking at the following:

• F150 Tremor
    • 5.0 is reliable, decent power
    • 3.5 is a nice engine, but I'm seeing a ton of problems from their forums
    • Interior is okay, exterior is great
    • Electronics are trash. My father had to spend $1200 bucks 5k miles out of warranty to replace his touch screen
  • Chevy Trail Boss
    • Won't get a gas, only the new diesel
    • Built as a reliable motors, and it seems its holding up
    • Not as much power
    • Interior is beautiful, exterior is eh
  • Rebel
    • 5.7 isn't the strongest, but sounds great and has enough power. Very reliable from what I've seen
    • Interior is great
    • Exterior is pretty damn good
    • End of engine year so this may be my last chance to ever buy another V8 half ton
To anyone who has driven all three or owned others, do you have any input to add? When driving my old man's F150, the steering is so light and the stop and start is extremely noticeable. I never drove the 3.0 diesel Chevy, but I've always loved GM products, never owned one.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just gotta drive em and see what you like. I'm not brand loyal at all and I think more & more people are feeling that way. There just isn't that experience consistency across products in the same brand any more.

Other than if you want a new Hemi Ram Rebel you are stuck with whatever you find on a lot, because they dont make them anymore.

I will say, see whether you'd change your view on the Trailboss once you realize its just an appearance package. Because thats all it is. No reason to think the LZ0 dzl will have issues, just note its not the same 3.0 dzl that's been around, so can't really extrapolate from it.

Tremor is an appearance package that can be optioned with a Torsen front differential 😍 and a great interior/seats if you go to the $70k+ tier (Tremor High). The 3.5 eco issues you've been hearing about are either PowerBoost (hybrid) related (not available on Tremor) or cam phaser related (issue shared with 5.0, but there are far fewer 5.0's in circulation to hear complaints about). I'd get the 5.0 if I were getting a Tremor and not planning to tow.

The Rebel is a known commodity that provides better shocks than the others, but nothing for the front diff. Best interior of the 3 IMO. And you can't beat the sound of a Hemi.

jebcamaro

Reaction score
I bought a new 2021 GMC Sierra SLT with the Duramax 3.0 Diesel. I got a best of 34.4 instant fuel mileage. When it worked, it was great! You won't win any races, but it had enough power. It just didn't knock your socks off. The 10 speed transmission started giving me fits just under 60,000 miles. This was after already having engine problems prior. I will never own a GM product and I am third generation GM products owner.

Ford has the same 10 speed transmission and I will never own another one of those either. Great when it worked, but obviously difficult for this new generation of parts swappers to fix correctly. Anyway, a transmission should not go out at less than 60,000 miles when the vehicle suffered from no abuse.

Get the Ram and enjoy the tried and true reliability and longevity it will give you.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By your write up, it seems like you already made the choice with the RAM :cool:

Reaction score
By your write up, it seems like you already made the choice with the RAM :cool:

It’s just confirmed even more after reading through replies lol.

Now someone just brought something else to my attention. Should I get a Rebel level 1, or just get a cheaper Big Horn level B, use the savings to throw on some Clazzio leather seats, along with a lift and tires.

I think I’d get a better suspension set up and still save some money.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the different levels comes with, plus depends what features you actually need/want.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey Everyone -

This has probably been talked over millions of times, but I'm hoping to get some active feedback and this will probably be long winded. I'm coming from a 2020 Tacoma, that I absolutely can't stand. It drives terrible, has no power, and feels cheap. Plus I have two kids and its tiny.

I'm now searching for a new vehicle to replace the Tacoma. I've narrowed it down to a Rebel, a Tremor, or a 3.0 diesel Trail boss. I had the 5.7 in a few patrol cars in my previous line of work that I beat the **** out of and outside of the throttle lag, it was a great running and driving car. We blew up a few radiators, but those cars ran 12 hours straight in Georgia heat, so I won't even blame that lol.

I also had an 05 f150 with a 5.4 which was, somehow, an extremely reliable and great truck. I also had several Jeeps over the years from CJ's, to Daimler years, to a Jeep Liberty (drove great but fell apart at 40k miles).

Uses - I rarely tow, maybe a couple of jetski's here and there. I'd love to buy a boat in the future, but it will be under 6k pounds so I'm not worried about the towing too much. I go offroading on some light trails for hunting, but nothing major. Mainly use my truck for lumber yard trips for wood working and hauling random crap for the family.

So I've ruled out the Tundra just because I just don't really like Toyota unless it has Land Cruiser written on the back. Now I'm looking at the following:

• F150 Tremor
    • 5.0 is reliable, decent power
    • 3.5 is a nice engine, but I'm seeing a ton of problems from their forums
    • Interior is okay, exterior is great
    • Electronics are trash. My father had to spend $1200 bucks 5k miles out of warranty to replace his touch screen
  • Chevy Trail Boss
    • Won't get a gas, only the new diesel
    • Built as a reliable motors, and it seems its holding up
    • Not as much power
    • Interior is beautiful, exterior is eh
  • Rebel
    • 5.7 isn't the strongest, but sounds great and has enough power. Very reliable from what I've seen
    • Interior is great
    • Exterior is pretty damn good
    • End of engine year so this may be my last chance to ever buy another V8 half ton
To anyone who has driven all three or owned others, do you have any input to add? When driving my old man's F150, the steering is so light and the stop and start is extremely noticeable. I never drove the 3.0 diesel Chevy, but I've always loved GM products, never owned one.

The 5.7 only lacks in power compared to the Ecobust on your list. I've driven the F150 with the 5.0 and it seems to make power higher in the RPM range than the 5.7 Hemi. I like the 5.7 Hemi better. It seems you are talking yourself into a Rebel, which is a good choice. What is like the Rebel but has a stronger powerplant? You need a TRX!

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 5.7 only lacks in power compared to the Ecobust on your list. I've driven the F150 with the 5.0 and it seems to make power higher in the RPM range than the 5.7 Hemi. I like the 5.7 Hemi better. It seems you are talking yourself into a Rebel, which is a good choice. What is like the Rebel but is has a stronger powerplant? You need a TRX!
TRX is too much out of budget lol. but it is definitely my favorite truck

seabaz

Reaction score
I've went through the list just like yours a few months earlier except that I was looking at the GMC AT4 instead of the Trail Boss. It all depends on how you want to use it and what it is you're looking for. The interior of the RAM blasts away the F-150 and it's still miles better than the GM product although they did close the gap a bit and it's not as outdated as it once was. I nearly ordered the 2023 F-150 but I missed the window by a day and then the redesigned 2024 showed up, and I just hate the front grill. Also they completely butchered their far superior configurator where you could pretty much spec your truck a million different ways. The AT4 pricewise is a bit more than the RAM and you get a little bit less because of it. They don't like to do rebates on that product line from what I can see and then the interior was still a bit meh in my opinion. Although that will vary since it's quite subjective.

Ended up ordering a 2024 Rebel with everything minus the sunroof, tow package and nigh edition. I, just like you, am coming from a Tacoma, which I had gotten tired of simply because of the amount of time I spend in the driver's seat and it's just too plain for me. I need a bit more comfort and luxury. When I sat in the Rebel at the NYC auto show I was shocked, and I didn't want to get out. I can't wait.

Reaction score
I've went through the list just like yours a few months earlier except that I was looking at the GMC AT4 instead of the Trail Boss. It all depends on how you want to use it and what it is you're looking for. The interior of the RAM blasts away the F-150 and it's still miles better than the GM product although they did close the gap a bit and it's not as outdated as it once was. I nearly ordered the 2023 F-150 but I missed the window by a day and then the redesigned 2024 showed up, and I just hate the front grill. Also they completely butchered their far superior configurator where you could pretty much spec your truck a million different ways. The AT4 pricewise is a bit more than the RAM and you get a little bit less because of it. They don't like to do rebates on that product line from what I can see and then the interior was still a bit meh in my opinion. Although that will vary since it's quite subjective.

Ended up ordering a 2024 Rebel with everything minus the sunroof, tow package and nigh edition. I, just like you, am coming from a Tacoma, which I had gotten tired of simply because of the amount of time I spend in the driver's seat and it's just too plain for me. I need a bit more comfort and luxury. When I sat in the Rebel at the NYC auto show I was shocked, and I didn't want to get out. I can't wait.

Yea I noticed that about the ford configurations, just to get one option I want, I had to spend like 8k on a bunch of crap I didn’t want.

edgarrian

Reaction score
U talked about throttle lag on the 5.7 I have 2019 rebel and thats the first thing i noticed was the lag. I thought about tuning it but didnt want to spend that much money just to get rid of throttle lag. So i got a peddle commander. It sounds gimmicky but I purchased it based off reviews and price. As it turns out. It does make a difference and im very happy with the purchase. Easy install. When people move my truck at work and if they haven't ever driven it. They always talk about how much power it has. You may look into that.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
X2 on the Throttle Controller. The first mod I did with my 5th gen. I didn’t do it until after 100k on my 4th gen and I’m kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Plug and play and immediately remedies throttle lag.

tyanmax99

Reaction score
I bought a 2023 and the one option I wish I had was the 360 cameras. I didn't order mine so was only able to deal with what was on the lots and couldn't find one at the time with the level 2 trim that included the 360 cameras. It's annoying not having it when trying to maneuver/park. Other than that, this truck is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread