5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ram Limited 124.9 Litre Fuel Tank - early low fuel indicator

RamElite

Reaction score
New to the forum.

Wondering if anyone has a similar issue with their extended sized fuel tank (124.9 / 27.4 gallons).

The truck is a week old and just had its first fill-up. The low fuel indicator light showed approx. 80km left until the tank would empty completely.

Surprisingly, the truck only took just over 100 litres of gas... this would mean there's still 25 litres of reserve? That can't be right. And if so, how could 80km be the remaining range until empty. Doesn't make sense.

Has anyone experienced this? The only thing I can think of is the fuel sensor is completely off.

Thanks in advance.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I have a 33 gallon in my 2023, had one in my 2015. When the low fuel light comes on and I’d fill it up I could never stuff more than 26 to 28 gallons in it.
I’ve never felt the need to run it on low fuel/empty long enough to truly test out how many more miles I could squeeze out of it. Luckily, I’ve never had to.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
When the DTE indicates 50 mi/ 80 km the fuel low displays and I believe it’s using the present estimated mpg as the indicator. It’s generous to keep one from running out of fuel. One can easily run it to the point where it indicates “Unknown DTE” display and it’ll still have a couple of gallons left. I’ve done this several times with the 32 gallon in my 2011 Ram 1500 always while towing making my first route stop. I’ve only ran to this unknown DTE with this newer 2022 with 33 gal tank 1x. I fuel 27 + gallons when fuel light first comes on in the 2022 Ram 1500. I’ve put over 30 gallons in several times.

Moparmaniacca

Reaction score
Mine came on for the first time yesterday, and I was surprised... Came on at exactly 1/4 tank mark with 128kms estimated range left??? Thats 8.25 gallons left (plus reserve) out of the 33 gal tank. That's normal? Truck only has 2000kms on her.

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your lite is coming on at the right time. It's supposed to come one when the distance to empty reads 50 miles (80km).

Don't count on having reserve fuel just because it didn't take the number of gallons you though it should when empty. I've never had a vehicle that would.

I suspect most tanks really do not hold as much fuel as claimed OR, more likely, the extra fuel is not reliably usable fuel given the location of the fuel pickup and the movement of fuel in the tank. My wife once thought she would depend on this perceived reserve capacity and kept driving when the DTE read 0. Within a couple of miles she ran out of fuel and the truck still took about 4 gallons less than the advertised size of the tank.

dajogejr

Reaction score
My wife once thought she would depend on this perceived reserve capacity and kept driving when the DTE read 0. Within a couple of miles she ran out of fuel and the truck still took about 4 gallons less than the advertised size of the tank.

We may be related…. We may be brothers in law and not know it… LOL.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We may be related…. We may be brothers in law and not know it… LOL.

Maybe. When you tell here you are going to make a quick run to the store does she ask you to take her vehicle and get gas for her? Then when you get in her vehicle you realize you have to add in your mower gas just to make to to the closest gas station.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Maybe. When you tell here you are going to make a quick run to the store does she ask you to take her vehicle and get gas for her? Then when you get in her vehicle you realize you have to add in your mower gas just to make to to the closest gas station.
I can neither confirm nor deny I’ve had to use the mower/snowblower gas can to get me to said store.

RamElite

Reaction score
Your lite is coming on at the right time. It's supposed to come one when the distance to empty reads 50 miles (80km).

Don't count on having reserve fuel just because it didn't take the number of gallons you though it should when empty. I've never had a vehicle that would.

I suspect most tanks really do not hold as much fuel as claimed OR, more likely, the extra fuel is not reliably usable fuel given the location of the fuel pickup and the movement of fuel in the tank. My wife once thought she would depend on this perceived reserve capacity and kept driving when the DTE read 0. Within a couple of miles she ran out of fuel and the truck still took about 4 gallons less than the advertised size of the tank.
Thanks for the reply - it's interesting to hear other experiences. We're on the same page in terms of expectations regarding when a fuel light should come on, etc.

In your case, your truck took 4 gallons or approx 15 litres less than advertised.. mine took 25 litres less than advertised under the same conditions (just under 7 gallons) - that's a lot. Something does't seem right. What would be the point of having that much "unusable" fuel sloshing around... ?

And with that much potential unused fuel sitting there, how is the DTE programmed to indicate only 80km remaining..? It just doesn't make sense. The only answer to me is that the tank simply isn't the size as advertised. Nowhere near it.

What's interesting is my previous 23' Ram with a regular sized tank, was very accurate in terms of a refuel light, DTE & amounts consumed. Thanks again.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You lost me when you say your tank is 27.4 gallon.
Do you mean 26, or 33?
Sounds like you are having math conversion problems (possibly your truck too).
I have put over 30 gallons of gas in my truck with my 33 gallon extended fuel tank. This is US gallons how it is measured.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Do you mean 26, or 33?
I have put over 30 gallons of gas in my truck with my 33 gallon extended fuel tank. This is US gallons how it is measured.
And, if you spread that 3 gallons over the approximate six foot length of these 33 gallon fuel tanks, it must be like 1/2" deep. How can it be reliably picked up when its sloshing around ?
Crawl under there, that tank is the size of a coffin. I for one am grateful they erred on the side of caution. Only takes a few fills to figure out your margin of safety.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
And, if you spread that 3 gallons over the approximate six foot length of these 33 gallon fuel tanks, it must be like 1/2" deep. How can it be reliably picked up when its sloshing around ?
Crawl under there, that tank is the size of a coffin. I for one am grateful they erred on the side of caution. Only takes a few fills to figure out your margin of safety.
The fuel pump goes to the bottom. If it is still displaying miles to empty you are fine. Once you get low enough it will not show the miles left.
I guess I maybe just don't understand what you are trying to figure out.
There are calibrations for fuel tank size and either in US or Metric. There are 2 different measurements of gallons depending on what country you live in.

What are you getting for mpg when hand calculated? If it's 16-20 then I would say your fuel gage is fine...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

RamElite

Reaction score
Do you mean 26, or 33?
Hi there, my build sheet indicates 27.4 gallons. That's where I got the number from. But that minor detail is neither here nor there whether a typo or not.

I needed my second fill up a few days ago since new and same situation.. gas light came on & indicated 80km left in tank. Truck took 100 litres only (I'm in Canada). That means there's over 27 litres or over 7 gallons of gas supposedly still kicking around. To me, that's ridiculous.

The question I would have for the people over at Ram is, what is the point of ordering the optional larger tank? It makes absolutely no sense how DTE is calculated. Zero.

In essence, you can't take advantage of the larger tank.

My previous Ram (which I suspect is now is possibly roaming the plains of Africa or perhaps still en route in a shipping container) had the regular sized tank which was very accurate.

Interesting to hear other experiences. Looks like it's simply a flaw in their design and not specific to my vehicle.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi there, my build sheet indicates 27.4 gallons. That's where I got the number from. But that minor detail is neither here nor there whether a typo or not.

I needed my second fill up a few days ago since new and same situation.. gas light came on & indicated 80km left in tank. Truck took 100 litres only (I'm in Canada). That means there's over 27 litres or over 7 gallons of gas supposedly still kicking around. To me, that's ridiculous.

The question I would have for the people over at Ram is, what is the point of ordering the optional larger tank? It makes absolutely no sense how DTE is calculated. Zero.

In essence, you can't take advantage of the larger tank.

My previous Ram (which I suspect is now is possibly roaming the plains of Africa or perhaps still en route in a shipping container) had the regular sized tank which was very accurate.

Interesting to hear other experiences. Looks like it's simply a flaw in their design and not specific to my vehicle.
As I said it sounds like a miscalculation.
I know in Canada they don't even have the same names of trims as us down in the states. Here there is only 23, 26, or 33 gallon tanks.
The measure is done via the computer via the size of the tank in the system and then the country of measure.
You can check what it is measured via Alfaobd.

For example I have a 33 gallon tank, it's calibrated as 125 liters.
Low fuel warning at 8%, and "empty" at 2%.
This is US gallons, 125 liters is 33.0215 gallons which lines up with how much fuel I can put in.
My light comes on at 2.64 gallons left which also makes sense to me based upon the 2 times it ever came on, and my ability to put over 30 gallons of fuel in.
What is the 124.9 number you have in your first post?
I would check my numbers of the tank and in the computer. 27.4 gallons is 104 liters as far as the truck is concerned from what I can see which would incite you only had 4 liters of fuel left in the tank when you filled up? Where are you getting this extra "7 gallons of gas" idea?

Screenshot_20240330-091540644 (1).jpg Screenshot_20240330-091444726 (1).jpg

ChrisID

Reaction score
I have a 33 gallon in my 2023, had one in my 2015. When the low fuel light comes on and I’d fill it up I could never stuff more than 26 to 28 gallons in it.
I’ve never felt the need to run it on low fuel/empty long enough to truly test out how many more miles I could squeeze out of it. Luckily, I’ve never had to.
I have the 33g tank as well. I just hit the low fuel light and it said 50miles left. At fillup it took 28.5 g, so assuming I get 17mpg, I would have 1.5g left at indicated 0 miles left. Now I don't know if those 1.5g left are actually usable? Just an observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/