5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ram 1500 bed vs 2024 2500 bed with Rambox size.

Airborne89

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a new truck and I'm having trouble deciding between a 2024 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5'7" bed and a 2024 2500 Power Wagon with the 6'4" bed with the Rambox due to bed capacity. We use the truck to travel and we use every inch of space in the 2020 1500 we currently have. I have a Diamondback bedcover so depth is limited by that. Would I be losing any bed storage capacity going with the longer Power Wagon 6'4" bed compared to the 1500 5'7" bed with no Rambox? The closest dealer to me with both in stock is over an hour away so I'd like to figure out as much before going there and beginning the game. Thanks

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
With Ramboxes you lose width. You don't have tire humps (at least on a 1500 which is second gen Ramboxes, 2500s have first gen).
You lose a little space on the side going with Ramboxes, but the length would give you more usable bed space.
The Ramboxes themself are great for storing things in too.

An 1500 Laramie and 2500 Powerwagon really don't have much in common, 4.5 vs 5th gen, differnet engines, differnet suspension, features.
Really should figure out which one you want more as the bed is really a wash unless you are trying to load a particular thing or do X Y or Z activity.

Airborne89

Reaction score
With Ramboxes you lose width. You don't have tire humps (at least on a 1500 which is second gen Ramboxes, 2500s have first gen).
You lose a little space on the side going with Ramboxes, but the length would give you more usable bed space.
The Ramboxes themself are great for storing things in too.

An 1500 Laramie and 2500 Powerwagon really don't have much in common, 4.5 vs 5th gen, differnet engines, differnet suspension, features.
Really should figure out which one you want more as the bed is really a wash unless you are trying to load a particular thing or do X Y or Z activity.
I understand they are completely different. I'm deciding whether or not to go with a larger truck that's more capable offroad than my Laramie. The only thing I want to compare between the two is the bed capacity.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand they are completely different. I'm deciding whether or not to go with a larger truck that's more capable offroad than my Laramie. The only thing I want to compare between the two is the bed capacity.
Keep in mind, what you lose in bed space you'll get some of it back with Rambox space.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would say the bed capacity is a wash. You gain length lose width with Ramboxes, but get more useable space with the Ramboxes themself.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also worth noting is there will be less room in the cab of the Power Wagon than on the 1500, as the HDs still use the smaller 4th Gen cab.

Would a 1500 with the 6’4” bed length be the sweet spot for you?

Personally I’ve yet to determine what the Ram Boxes do that a couple of Rubbermaid tubs or pack out boxes don’t.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also worth noting is there will be less room in the cab of the Power Wagon than on the 1500, as the HDs still use the smaller 4th Gen cab.

Would a 1500 with the 6’4” bed length be the sweet spot for you?

Personally I’ve yet to determine what the Ram Boxes do that a couple of Rubbermaid tubs or pack out boxes don’t.
Stuff doesn't slide around, it doesn't take up bed space so can leave stuff in storage while using the empty bed, and it's much much cleaner then the bed of the truck. There are water and dust proof seals in the ram boxes where the bed I get pollen all over it even with a top sealed tonnnu cover.

It's not for everyone but I don't think I have seen anyone how got it wish they didn't have Ramboxes after using it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a new truck and I'm having trouble deciding between a 2024 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5'7" bed and a 2024 2500 Power Wagon with the 6'4" bed with the Rambox due to bed capacity. We use the truck to travel and we use every inch of space in the 2020 1500 we currently have. I have a Diamondback bedcover so depth is limited by that. Would I be losing any bed storage capacity going with the longer Power Wagon 6'4" bed compared to the 1500 5'7" bed with no Rambox? The closest dealer to me with both in stock is over an hour away so I'd like to figure out as much before going there and beginning the game. Thanks

I think you'd actually gain storage space in that scenario. You'll lose a little bit of space on each side in front of and behind the wheel humps. But you make much of that back up with the lockable storage space inside the bedside boxes. You would also gain space because of the longer bed on the PW.

Users who are viewing this thread