5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 5.7 et cold start issues

Johnnysins

Reaction score
About two weeks ago my truck developed a cold start issue. If it sits for more the 8 hours it seems like it looses fuel pressure. No check engine light. It starts with rpm’s sounding weird(sounds lean) then evens out to normal quick. I’ve tried pushing the start switch and waiting for it to prime and just starting the truck right away. had battery checked at autozone all came back fine, Went to dealer they said try different fuel I’m going to but I still have about a quarter tank. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Last edited:

Gren71

Reaction score
ive had this happen once or twice. I figured it was just low voltage or something since I always use mid grade fuel like the manual says. I watched the battery voltage after it happened the first time and I noticed that the battery would start out around 12.6 or so. Had the dealer look at it and the battery was good as well as the charging system. So I just chose to let it be for now and see if it continues.

cerbo

Reaction score
I think it s normal and my reason is when owning a few loud sports cars they all start out with a different sound which is cause by the computers mapping of fuel/air on cold start ups. It s just a guess and I don t really hear anything that stands out on your vid .
so if yours just developed it then what changed is the question? Fuel may be a good guess?
also to get better educated answers you would have to list mileage and maintenance done to this point.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Can't watch the video as I'm currently at work but everyone now and then mine will almost stall when starting it up. It was happening regularly for a while about a year ago then went back to normal. This week it did it again once. The dealer never did find anything.

Johnnysins

Reaction score
Here’s a cold start sitting since Friday after work now Monday morning definitely is not normal. Did a remote start heard pump prime but still seems to me like a fuel pressure issue

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That video also sounds perfectly normal.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s a cold start sitting since Friday after work now Monday morning definitely is not normal. Did a remote start heard pump prime but still seems to me like a fuel pressure issue
Sure sounds like it.
Could also be poor fuel causing that, happened to me.
I would run couple tanks with fuel from a different gas station and Lucas injector cleaner just for the hell of it.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
That really rough, sputtering start that then smooths out happened to me at the very beginning of the exhaust manifold issue. Got worse before it stopped after several months but at that point it sounded like a wonky diesel until I got both manifolds replaced.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
My truck did this same exact thing when i brought it home. First time firing up in my drive way i thought it was going to stall, sounded just like that except a second or 2 longer. Would sputter, struggle or sound like it was choking then would sound "normal" idle. Was concerned but went about my day and figured since i turn my truck on once a month if that, was probably the battery and needed to charge up and run. Happened again on cold starting maybe the 2nd or 3rd time firing up and never happened again. Sorry if that doesn't help, but in my head it was the battery, really not sure as i never brought it in since it went away, still think battery? Keep in mind the mopar factory batteries are known for being bad fairly quickly.

Also fuel has nothing to do with it, dont let that fool you. whether is 87, 89, or 91 it wont make a difference. Plenty of threads on this topic lol, dont get everyone started. 😂

Last edited:

Johnnysins

Reaction score
My truck did this same exact thing when i brought it home. First time firing up in my drive way i thought it was going to stall, sounded just like that except a second or 2 longer. Would sputter, struggle or sound like it was choking then would sound "normal" idle. Was concerned but went about my day and figured since i turn my truck on once a month if that, was probably the battery and needed to charge up and run. Happened again on cold starting maybe the 2nd or 3rd time firing up and never happened again. Sorry if that doesn't help, but in my head it was the battery, really not sure as i never brought it in since it went away, still think battery? Keep in mind the mopar factory batteries are known for being bad fairly quickly.

Also fuel has nothing to do with it, dont let that fool you. wheather is 87, 89, or 91 it wont make a difference. Plenty of threads on this topic lol, dont get everyone started. 😂
I've had a 19 ram 5.7 non et 45k miles got 87 and same gas stations all the time never had this issue, plus it just started doing this. my first thought was battery but i got it tested came back good. dealer probably doesn't think the warranty pay is worth fix but I got another appointment Friday, plus video evidence so i can maybe reach out to ram if they want to be difficult.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread