5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Uconnect 5 non-nav new issues

Bmatth1220

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here. I tried searching but these questions are very specific. I had a 2022 1500 Bighorn with the V6, but was never quite happy with the engine and traded it in for a 2023 1500 Bighorn hemi earlier today. Both trucks have the same bighorn level 2 equipment group, the only difference being the new truck is the Uconnect 5 8.4" screen WITHOUT navigation.

I am having trouble with setting the theme, as every time I select theme 1, it resets to theme 2 with the blocky letters whenever the truck is restarted, even though it shows up as theme 1 still being active.

Also there is no Alexa app/icon available in the app menu. This isn't a big deal as I rarely used it in the old truck, but from my understanding it should also be available on the Uconnect 5 8.4" without navigation, just as it was on the Uconnect 8.4" with navigation.

Lastly (and most importantly), the date and time has to be manually set without an option for sync to GPS. I understand it does not have navigation, but shouldn’t the date and time be connected to the built in GPS for emergency services? It seems like there is a vast and inferior difference between a non-navigation and a navigation Uconnect 5 8.4” screen and it’s a real bummer. Does anyone know if I’m just missing an update or should go for service thinking it’s a dud?

Thank you!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here. I tried searching but these questions are very specific. I had a 2022 1500 Bighorn with the V6, but was never quite happy with the engine and traded it in for a 2023 1500 Bighorn hemi earlier today. Both trucks have the same bighorn level 2 equipment group, the only difference being the new truck is the Uconnect 5 8.4" screen WITHOUT navigation.

I am having trouble with setting the theme, as every time I select theme 1, it resets to theme 2 with the blocky letters whenever the truck is restarted, even though it shows up as theme 1 still being active.

Also there is no Alexa app/icon available in the app menu. This isn't a big deal as I rarely used it in the old truck, but from my understanding it should also be available on the Uconnect 5 8.4" without navigation, just as it was on the Uconnect 8.4" with navigation.

Lastly (and most importantly), the date and time has to be manually set without an option for sync to GPS. I understand it does not have navigation, but shouldn’t the date and time be connected to the built in GPS for emergency services? It seems like there is a vast and inferior difference between a non-navigation and a navigation Uconnect 5 8.4” screen and it’s a real bummer. Does anyone know if I’m just missing an update or should go for service thinking it’s a dud?

Thank you!
surprised no one has helped with this
I can not

5genJeff

Reaction score
I also noticed on my '23 8.4 non nav that the time doesnt sync from the GPS. GPS works fine, I see in Ram Connect that it is currently sitting in my garage. Why they dont write the code to get the time is baffling to me. My older durango (8.4 with Nav) gets the time from the GPS and automatically changes daylight savings time in the spring and fall, and jumps an hour forward or backward when I cross time zones.

I was hoping there was a setting in AlphaOBD to "enable" this on my RAM but I dont see a setting for this, so I am assuming the developers never wrote the code.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I need to change my clock manually in the fall and spring when we do the DLS thing.
8.4" screen non-nav on 2022 Big Horn.

Users who are viewing this thread