5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram 1500 Limited towing

Bbbking

Reaction score
When towing a trailer at around 60 mph, the truck periodically feels like it’s hydro plaining. The tire size is 285/45 r22 114H Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season tires. Max load 2601 lbs at max pressure 50 psi. From research, it looks like if I find a tire with a higher load range or more ply’s, it would resolve this issue…is that true? Also from research, I haven’t found a replacement tire that has a higher load range, any recommendations?

Bbbking

Reaction score
Camper with sway bar
Gross Dry Weight 5775 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 785 Lbs.
Axle Weight 4990 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2225 Lbs.
GVWR 8000 Lbs.
Floor Length 22'6''
Overall Length 27'6''

The truck hasn’t struggled pulling the camper, it just feels like I lose control in the steering when I hit 58-60 (periodically)

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you using a WDH?

Are you sagging pretty bad?

You could be losing weight off the front axle, which would cause steering to be effected.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to go to a scale and get weight on steer, drive and trailer axle.
Is you truck stock?

Bbbking

Reaction score
The truck has the air suspension, so I don’t have much sag.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd get to the scales and see what your weights are. You're probably pulling weight off that steer axle and the air suspension is masking it. You'll probably need a WDH to put that weight back on the front axle.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Load range E will definitely help though. No way I’m getting into a best load range E tire discussion.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Camper with sway bar
Axle Weight 4990 Lbs.
GVWR 8000 Lbs.
Floor Length 22'6''
Overall Length 27'6''

The truck hasn’t struggled pulling the camper, it just feels like I lose control in the steering when I hit 58-60 (periodically)
No matter what anyone tells you, that's a lot of trailer for your truck. What WDH do you have and who set it up? You can get it pretty well dialed in with a tape measure, and it sounds like whoever installed it didn't do that. If it was a dealer, I can guarantee they didn't, especially with your truck's air suspension.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too much, or not enough, weight on your hitch. Your air suspension is masking the appearance of such a problem. CAT scales are your friend here.

itsrook

Reaction score
I have a '20 Limited with air suspension and the 22's. My trailer is a lot lighter. I had the same thing until I set up the WDH with the truck in jack mode to turn the air suspension off. Most trailer dealers dont know how to set up the WDH with air suspension.

Now I always hook up with the truck in jack mode, then turn the suspension back on after hitched. Also make sure the ride height is set where it was when you calibrated the WDH.

GrumpyOleMan

Reaction score
Most trailer dealers dont know how to set up the WDH with air suspension.

Now I always hook up with the truck in jack mode, then turn the suspension back on after hitched. Also make sure the ride height is set where it was when you calibrated the WDH.
/\/\/\ This... When the dealer was setting up my WDH after purchasing my new trailer this spring (a little heavier than the OP's), I had to show the tech how to use the tire/jack mode beforehand. He said he had done numerous Ram's before with 4 corner air and never knew about it. He thanked me and did a wonderful job setting it up. I Just towed a modest 50 miles yesterday again with 20-30 mph wind and yes, I still felt the occasional gust, but it was nothing that gave me white knuckles. Of course, I drive like the old man that I am (yes, I am that guy who drives 60 on the interstate) but I like to enjoy the beautiful Dakota scenery and I got 13.2 MPG. For the record, I don't always get that good of mpg towing, I was headed North and the wind was out of the Southeast, so I did have a bit of a tailwind helping out.

Bob.

Reaction score
Camper with sway bar
Axle Weight 4990 Lbs.
GVWR 8000 Lbs.
Floor Length 22'6''
Overall Length 27'6''

Might need to put a stiffer sidewall on your "car" tires. The rubber could be flexing on the rim giving you that feeling.
Years ago I pulled a car trailer, I had to go with a load range E so it would be planted as I go down the highway. Felt like I was wagging a dog tail otherwise.

matthawks9

Reaction score
Il having the same issue. My trailer is 8600lbs empty. Hard to get above 60 mph? It has cheap tires but they are rated at 114H.

aa61c48840f3a5b382a9b98739aba464.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get some 18 or 20 inch rims and mount a good set of E rated or better for towing, add a Hellweg, and good tires on the trailer. Then do a proper hitch setup, and that all will help. I don't like towing a bumper pull with the Limited suspension because it just doesn't feel as good as a fifth wheel, but stiffening the tires and getting rid of body roll will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online