5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 gmc sierra 1500 road trip cabin experience

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.3 is not underpowered...
Also you can only get the 6.2 on the Denali (and the SLT and the AT4 and Silverado High Country and LTZ..). no other trim allows it except if you go for a 2500 (2500 has never offered the 6.2).
Ram doesn't allow you to get a 6.4 on any 1500 except the TRX (TRX uses 6.2) which is not apples to oranges. The Denali is like A Ram Limted +, the TRX is just a completely differnet truck.
The Denali with a 6.2L starts at 73k MSRP a 1500 Limited starts at 69k

Also the 5.7 to the 6.2 is only a different of 50 lb-ft of torque, not really a huge difference.

If you don't buy Super Cruise which seems to be $7,430 or $6,430 a nearly fully loaded Denali is 80.9k
A nearly loaded 1500 Limited with similar\equivalent options is 83.5k making it more expensive at least in the USA.
I believe Ram is the most expensive pickup you can buy in the states (Both other domestic brands can charge you a lot more, unless you factor in the Super Trucks, then only Ford is more expensive). I think it's worth the money.
Slight mods

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2023 Ram 2500 base engine is the 6.4L V8, option is the 6.7L I6 Cummins, new is the 2023 Rebel 2500 it’s available with the 6.4L V8 or the 6.7L Cummins.
I’m very satisfied with my 2020 Rebel 1500 with the small 3L V6 VM Motori Ecodiesel engine.

Yes, but you need to read my comment in context with the comment I was replying to; his comment said "Ram doesn't allow you to get a 6.4 on any 1500 except the TRX" and my point is the 6.4 isn't offered, at all, in the 1500; the TRX uses the supercharged 6.2 not the 6.4.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, but you need to read my comment in context with the comment I was replying to; his comment said "Ram doesn't allow you to get a 6.4 on any 1500 except the TRX" and my point is the 6.4 isn't offered, at all, in the 1500; the TRX uses the supercharged 6.2 not the 6.4.
I don't think I typed it right. You can't get a bigger engine on a ram 1500. 5.7 is biggest. The 6.4 is not offered on the 1500 and the trx gets a bigger engine. GMC gives more engine choices in that regards.
I also didn't know you could get the 6.2 on other trims, is that a new thing? I recall years ago only the Denali having the option for the bigger v8. I also don't know what an AT4 trim is. I assume that's new too.

silver billet

Reaction score
I don't think I typed it right. You can't get a bigger engine on a ram 1500. 5.7 is biggest. The 6.4 is not offered on the 1500 and the trx gets a bigger engine. GMC gives more engine choices in that regards.
I also didn't know you could get the 6.2 on other trims, is that a new thing? I recall years ago only the Denali having the option for the bigger v8. I also don't know what an AT4 trim is. I assume that's new too.

It's always been that way, at least in their current gen trucks, 6.2 has been available on all their upscale trims. AT4 is GMC's version of the Ram Rebel and the Chevy Trailboss, it's more offroady. AT4 has been their since 2019 as well.

My point with the 5.3 vs 5.7 vs 6.2; for the money I spent on my truck with the 5.7, I'd still have had to pay about $10,000 more for a similary equipped GMC SLE with a 5.3 with their crummy 8 speed. So that's what I meant by "underpowered". Why pay that much more, for a truck that has less power than mine? What I really wanted from GMC was the 6.2 and 10 speed, but then I'd have had to step up to a more premium trim (paying on top of the already $10k difference to do so), then also paying another upgrade fee on top of that for the 6.2 engine itself. I just couldn't justify that cost. Again these are not MSRP prices. Back in 2019 when I bought mine, dealers were offering cash and incentives on the hood, it was a totally different time.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's always been that way, at least in their current gen trucks, 6.2 has been available on all their upscale trims. AT4 is GMC's version of the Ram Rebel and the Chevy Trailboss, it's more offroady. AT4 has been their since 2019 as well.

My point with the 5.3 vs 5.7 vs 6.2; for the money I spent on my truck with the 5.7, I'd still have had to pay about $10,000 more for a similary equipped GMC SLE with a 5.3 with their crummy 8 speed. So that's what I meant by "underpowered". Why pay that much more, for a truck that has less power than mine? What I really wanted from GMC was the 6.2 and 10 speed, but then I'd have had to step up to a more premium trim (paying on top of the already $10k difference to do so), then also paying another upgrade fee on top of that for the 6.2 engine itself. I just couldn't justify that cost. Again these are not MSRP prices. Back in 2019 when I bought mine, dealers were offering cash and incentives on the hood, it was a totally different time.
My Silverado was a 2018, those other trims didn't seem to exist yet then.
I also got it new with a 5.3 for 43k (msrp 51k). Was only an LT but it had all the packages added like z71, real nav, and the Bose system.
I think for ram that would of been around 55k easy if not a little more
An LTZ which was the highest trim ar the time did not come with a 6.2.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the draw to "supercruise". First of all, you have to rest your hands somewhere. Why not the steering wheel? What else are you going to do with them, lay them in your lap? While driving? That's just odd. Secondly, I still don't trust sensors, cameras, and software encoded onto a plastic chip to save my life or my children, especially when towing a 20' enclosed trailer. Supercruise and features like it are an example of taking convenience too far. If you don't want to drive the damned truck, let someone else drive so you can sit in the passenger seat and take your nap.

silver billet

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the draw to "supercruise". First of all, you have to rest your hands somewhere. Why not the steering wheel? What else are you going to do with them, lay them in your lap? While driving? That's just odd. Secondly, I still don't trust sensors, cameras, and software encoded onto a plastic chip to save my life or my children, especially when towing a 20' enclosed trailer. Supercruise and features like it are an example of taking convenience too far. If you don't want to drive the damned truck, let someone else drive so you can sit in the passenger seat and take your nap.

We peaked at the cameras, heated seats/wheel and rain sensing windshield wipers. I don't need cruise (any form), lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, or anything else that beeps or prods me or disables my truck in any way.

It's one reason I always prefer base/simple trims. Far less stupid stuff to deal with and annoy me, and I save money at the same time.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't feel a need for a dead pedal in my Ram. It actually takes away space in the foot well. My work van has a dead pedal and it's annoying as well. I'd rather not have it so I could stretch my leg out further. And putting my foot next to it isn't an option with my work boots or I would hit brake pedal.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn't sold or comfortable with hands free at first with my F150 and the Ford BlueCruise which is kind of an "atari" hands free. Not too sophisticated. It won't change lanes or tow and cuts out a lot. On the other hand, Super Cruise is much more polished. It does change lanes, will allow you to tow and just overall smoother. You can leave your hands on the wheel if you want for a place to rest. The Super Cruise doesn't become distracted. It "sees" slow traffic ahead and makes lane changes as soon as the next lane is clear. No surprises as it will vibrate the seat on the side it's going to move before it does it.
Anyway, I'm a convert and I'm an old dog that doesn't learn new tricks very well. From being around plenty of distracted drivers in the metro Detroit area, I wish they all had Super Cruise. ;)

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GMC definitely upped their game! When I'm ready to buy again, it looks like the GMC's are back in the running.

I cross shopped GMC when I was looking for a new truck back in 2019. The interior looked cheap and dated compared to Ford and RAM at the time. The 5.3L was also a dog compared to the Hemi & Ford offerings. I could not find a 6.2L anywhere close enough for me to test drive, but with their 2019 interior, I doubt it would have swayed my decision.

Last edited:

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GMC definitely upped their game! When I'm ready to buy again, it looks like the GMC's are back in the running.

I cross shopped GMC when I was looking for a new truck back in 2019. The interior looked cheap and dated compared to Ford and RAM at the time. The 5.3L was also a dog compared to the Hemi & Ford offerings. I could not find a 6.2L anywhere close enough for me to test drive, but with their 2019 interior, I doubt it would have swayed my decision.
When I was shopping in ‘18, there were thousands of previous-generation Denalis sitting on lots in DFW. I was offered something like $14K off sticker before I even jumped in one for a test drive.

Loved the 6.2L, of course. It was the most fun “big 3” truck to zip around in, without question. But the interior was uninspiring. And I was interested in Ram’s 12” infotainment system, air suspension, RamBoxes, and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread