5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 back country sway issue

ledded74

Reaction score
I have a new truck with an old 24 for camper with a load distribution hitch with chains and sway bars. I used this on my 2007 Dodge with leaf springs with no issues. First pull with the new truck I feel the truck move side to side at highway speeds more than the old truck. I'm wondering if it's the height hitch or the road suspension on the back country. Maybe it's just the way it rides with the if road tires, not sure.

The front of the camper sits about 1 inch higher than the back, not sure if that would cause this. I could lower a hole if needed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a new truck with an old 24 for camper with a load distribution hitch with chains and sway bars. I used this on my 2007 Dodge with leaf springs with no issues. First pull with the new truck I feel the truck move side to side at highway speeds more than the old truck. I'm wondering if it's the height hitch or the road suspension on the back country. Maybe it's just the way it rides with the if road tires, not sure.

The front of the camper sits about 1 inch higher than the back, not sure if that would cause this. I could lower a hole if needed.
Definitely need to lower the nose of trailer. I would hope you didn't just think you could swap the hitch over without making any adjustments for the new truck.

ledded74

Reaction score
Definitely need to lower the nose of trailer. I would hope you didn't just think you could swap the hitch over without making any adjustments for the new truck.
I believe when on the hitch they are the same height from the ground. The new truck lowers about 5 inches with the camper weight and the old about 3 inches.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope there is some confusion here. With the weight bars installed, where do these measurements end up?

There are many threads on the subject, you should read thru a few of them also for more answers. The short answer is - 5 link does not tow as well as leaf springs, but can be upgraded significantly.

jgmac98

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 2022 Ram 1500. Compared to the 2012 Ford F150 I had before the Ram was absolutely awful towing due to the softer coil springs in the rear compared to the leaf springs of the Ford. This was after I re-setup my weight distribution hitch.

Upgrading the rear sway bar to the Helwig helped quite a bit, but it still wasn't great. I then added Airlift 5000 helper air bags to the back and running at 27-30 psi has helped even more when pulling my 28 ft 6000 lb holiday trailer. The airbags let me get my truck back to level (about 1.5" higher than without the bags) and really helped.

I'm not sure if the airbags would have completely fixed the issue without the upgraded sway bar, but I'm happy with the set-up and towing is almost as good as it was with the Ford. Still a little bit of side to side in bad winds, but no truck would do well in those conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread