5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 updates/improvements over 2019 summation?

Michael_D

Reaction score
Greetings,

I was hoping to find a summary of options and/or changes to the Ram 5th gen to help me decide what truck to replace my 2019 1500 Longhorn truck. I buy a new truck every 3/4 years, so it's time.

I've been pretty happy with this truck, other than a brake problem that occurred during the 2020 lockdowns...... Other than that, this truck has been very reliable. I may just buy another Ram, but I'm still deliberating between buying another Ram or ordering a GMC Denali in the Ultimate trim. There are pro's and con's to both. I like GM's 6.2 ltr engine over the Ram's 5.7, but the 6.2 is notorious for lifter failures. The air ride on my truck is a better ride than the GMC's Mag ride (I had a 2015 Sierra Denali). I really could not care less about the GM's supercruise, hand's free driving. Frankly, the thought of hands-free driving gives me the creeps, other than many a long straight stretch of road and eating a sandwich.

The current truck has the 6.4' bed, off road package, and I went with some 285/60/20's to fill the wheel wells. If I go with another Ram, it'll most likely be a Limited with 22's, and the shorter bed. I'm going for comfort this time. Hell, I don't think I ever took the current truck off road once.....

I know that the 2022's come with a HUD, which is something I do want. It can also be ordered with power towing mirrors, correct? Are there any other things that have changed in the past three years? Any improvements to the seats, like massage, like some Fords and the Ultimate has? Still manual steering wheel adjustment?

If all this has been posted or can be found somewhere, please let me know where. I am not asking for anything to spoon feed me info that can be easily found. I spent about a half hour looking for a summary on this site and was not successful in finding it.

Reverse

Reaction score
Interesting. I drive a Limited with 22" wheels, and am looking to switch to 20" or even 18" for better comfort and wider selection of tires.
I also wish I had gotten the 6'4" bed, since the shorter bed won't really hold my motorcycle very well. It also looks better IMO, especially if you lift the truck.

But to each his own.

Other than what you listed I can't think of any changes. Something you may run into is that Ram is limiting some options due to supply chain issues, so certain packages may not be available or contain less options.

Goldsy

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as Reverse. I'm considering ditching the 22s for 20s. Tire options are pretty limited with the 22s (if sticking with the stock size). I ran 18s all winter with snow tires and other than noise, the ride was a lot smoother.

Still no massaging seats. Still manual adjusting steering wheel.

There is also a camera mounted in the 3rd brake light, which displays on the rearview mirror, which became available in 2021. I believe that's unique to the Limited trim. There has also been new GT and Backcountry packages added to the lineup. The CD player no longer exists after the 2019 models.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Michael_D

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. One other thing I forgot, that I know is new, is the split tailgate. Not real sure what I think about that...... I hopped over the Ram site and built a truck. Night package this time in Granite color. Looks pretty sharp. They offer a paint film option, and I'll jump on that. Anyone know what that entails?

Regarding my choice of wheels, the black 22's come with the Night package. I would actually prefer 20's, and will most likely buy an extra set and use the factory wheels for winter tires.

Where I screwed up, is the tires I went with. They are 10 ply, Toyo E rated tires. Not very compliant and give the truck a much rougher ride over the standard tire found on half tons.

I do like the longer bed, from a cargo perspective, but when I think about all the stuff I end up buying (usually 8' sheet goods and lumber), the damn tailgate is down anyway. The longer bed does make parking a bit more challenging, especially when in the city and trying to find somewhere to park. Not a big deal, but just another aggravation to avoid.

I will also get the engine WITHOUT E-torque this time too, assuming I get the Ram. I absolutely hate that thing.

Goldsy

Reaction score
I went with the 5'7" box as I just liked the look of it better, plus it's my daily driver and it fits into parking spaces better. Honestly, 5'7" vs 6'4" really doesn't make much of a difference when moving 8 foot objects. LOL. I'm happy with my truck features. I didn't see much use to the multi function tail gate, so I went without. The only feature I regret not getting was the bigger fuel tank. Mine is Granite as well. I love that colour.

Attachments

• Ram.jpg
    Ram.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 40

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About the paint protection film asked about...

Michael_D

Reaction score
About the paint protection film asked about...

That's not very encouraging.... I had assumed getting it applied at the factory would ensure it's done correctly. If it's a dealer-installed thing, then one takes their chances.. Bummer.....

Michael_D

Reaction score
I went with the 5'7" box as I just liked the look of it better, plus it's my daily driver and it fits into parking spaces better. Honestly, 5'7" vs 6'4" really doesn't make much of a difference when moving 8 foot objects. LOL. I'm happy with my truck features. I didn't see much use to the multi function tail gate, so I went without. The only feature I regret not getting was the bigger fuel tank. Mine is Granite as well. I love that colour.
Nice truck. Do you have more pictures of it somewhere? I am still somewhat on the fence between the granite and silver. Your truck might have just pushed me to granite.

Do you find the ram boxes useful? Is the cover that comes with the Night Package any good? I was actually going to have a retractable cover installed.

Goldsy

Reaction score
Nice truck. Do you have more pictures of it somewhere? I am still somewhat on the fence between the granite and silver. Your truck might have just pushed me to granite.

Do you find the ram boxes useful? Is the cover that comes with the Night Package any good? I was actually going to have a retractable cover installed.
Thanks. The OEM cover is good for a soft tri fold. I’ll probably put a hard one on eventually. It is a prefect fit, good quality, and you can take it off and put it back on in seconds, which I really like. I wasn’t sure how is feel about the Ram boxes at first. They are a game changer, I don’t think I’d want a truck without them now. Honestly, the only space you lose in the bed are the sections over the wheel wells. I’ll see what else I have here on my phone for pics. Pictures don’t do the granite justice, it’s such a cool looking grey colour up close. There are a couple of shots with the winter steel wheels on there.

Attachments

• C599EE78-3AD7-40F0-ABF9-6E9C210F9997.jpeg
    C599EE78-3AD7-40F0-ABF9-6E9C210F9997.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 36
  • C936B40E-9458-4953-9CE5-2594BAB1C15D.jpeg
    C936B40E-9458-4953-9CE5-2594BAB1C15D.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 2336E974-9117-48AB-A447-C8E79E4A5B89.jpeg
    2336E974-9117-48AB-A447-C8E79E4A5B89.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 299A5F33-8032-4041-852F-A9CFA90E8491.jpeg
    299A5F33-8032-4041-852F-A9CFA90E8491.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 36

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One change for 2022 is the way the stop/start behaves (etorque models). On '19 thru '21 model years, the engine stays running until after the truck comes to a complete stop. Apparently, for 2022, the engine will shut off just before the truck comes to a complete stop. Maybe not a big deal for many, but there have been complaints about that here.

Just to correct something @Goldsy said, the digital rearview mirror is available on all trim levels except for Tradesman, and comes with the HUD. It's part of the Technology Group on Big Horn through Rebel, and is part of the Level 1 Equipment Group for Longhorn and Limited.

I love having the ramboxes and the MFT. This has been available since 2019, although early 2019 models didn't have that option. I keep the bed divider about 2 feet from the tailgate, and can easily access this area when the tailgate is open to the sides. It's like having a trunk in my truck when I don't need to haul anything longer.

Last edited:

Michael_D

Reaction score
I'll need to think more about the boxes. What kind of stuff do you guys keep in them? I generally buy a shell for my trucks, so the boxes were not considered when I bought the '19. But this time I intend to stick with a cover and ditch the shell. Having a shell is kind of a love/hate thing. Handy till it isn't, and when it isn't - it's a big deal.

I'll ping a couple dealers today and see what ordering one looks like nowadays. Might have to combine this purchase with a long road trip across the country.

I think I've talked myself out of buying the Denali. I've been told to expect 6-8 months to get one, once the order is placed.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can keep whatever fits in them, in them LOL. I've hauled groceries in them, tools, tow straps and tie down straps. I've used one for an ice chest several times. I've even stored the wife's Christmas gifts in them so she wouldn't find them in the house. Since we each drive our own vehicles she rarely if ever gets into my storage boxes.

But for me, the bed divider is at least as useful as the storage boxes, to keep things from shifting to the front of the bed. There are multiple locations to mount it. Like I said above, I keep mine near the rear. Which creates a space I use like a trunk. And if you install the mounting pegs at the rear of the bed, it converts to a bed extender. You just need to make sure to include the Bed Utility Group or you won't get the divider. It's about $1000 if bought separately. Bed divider 2.jpg

Goldsy

Reaction score
I keep things like washer fluid, snow brush, tie down straps. There is a 110v plug in there, so you can charge things like the batteries fir power tools on the road. You can fit a few bags of groceries in them. They are actually pretty big. Some people even fill them with ice and beer.

Michael_D

Reaction score
LOL..... yah, I knew it was a dumb question when I wrote it. I just haven't ever opened one of the Ram Boxes before, so I'm in a position of blind ignorance. I'll look into the bed divider, as it does look handy.

To clarify, the soft bed cover is a "tri-fold"? I see velcro on it. We get about 300" of snow where I live, so it's not uncommon to see a couple feet of snow, or more, on the ground in the mornings.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it's a tri-fold. Wow...300 inches of snow it an incredible amount of snow.

Goldsy

Reaction score
Mine came with the bed divider. I can’t remember which package group that is included in. The bed utility group maybe?

No Velcro on the OEM tonneau cover that I recall. I live on the east coast of Canada, I know all about snow :)

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Both Bed Utility Group & Ram Boxes are needed to get the Bed Divider.
^^This. I found out the hard way on the first 5th gen I bought. It had ramboxes but didn't have the BUG. I had to purchase the bed divider separately, along with the lock cylinder kit. Ended up costing almost $1100. Luckily the dealership agreed to pay half since they weren't aware of this being the case for 5th gens. For 4th gens, the bed divider came with the rambox option. IDK why they made this change, but I'm sure it upset a lot of people. Especially those who bought 2019's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online