5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Uconnect 5 12" issues.

BB22

Reaction score
Bought my 2022 Rebel 3 weeks ago and had the Uconnect system doing strange things ever since. Blue screen on the back up camera, No back up camera, system and navigation taking too long to load. Other times its instant. The truck came with the 12" screen divided into 2 screens, which was fine with me for the time being. Then one morning it changed to 3 screens by itself. It unpaired my phone 4 times already. I checked for software updates with a service advisor at 2 different dealerships and they both showed that there were none available and my truck was up to date. I then checked with a friend of mine who is a master tech at a Dodge dealer. He ran my vin and found an update that was just released on 11/9/21. The techs have better access to things than the service advisors do. Well he installed the update yesterday along with a factory reset and now I'm having issues with the screen brightness especially when using the navigation. I've got the display set to dark mode and most of the time the nav screen is so dark you can't even see the roads on the map. The only thing you can see is the blue arrow designating the vehicle. I am really surprised that you can't keep the nav on light mode and keep everything else on dark, considering that you can customize just about everything else in the display. It's pretty disheartening to pay all that money for a new vehicle and have to put up with glitches in this new Uconnect system. I've had a 2014,2017 and now the 2022 and the Uconnect system had multiple issues in every one of them. Poorly engineered and tested in my opinion.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
probably to quickly brought to the market. It often happens with other products too. As they are able to update it through software updates anyway. But I agree with you. They better test it 2 months more and then release it.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
probably to quickly brought to the market. It often happens with other products too. As they are able to update it through software updates anyway. But I agree with you. They better test it 2 months more and then release it.
Wasn't Uconnect 5 in the Durango and Pacifica for a year or two now ? I thought that would have been enough time to get the kinks worked out .

LV426

Reaction score
I have been dealing with Uconnect on and off for several months via Twitter & email back and forth regarding issues with the UC4 and I can confirm that they are useless and do not have their **** together. Most of my posts about this system are negative because that is the experience I have had with it and their support is terrible. I love the truck but the Uconnect experience has been awful.

The service departments solution (for several things) is to just throw new units at it and replace parts until things work but that's not the solution. I believe these radios are poorly optimized and they lack updates to fix the current bugs they have.
*NOTE, My complaints are specific to the UC4 with the 12" screen, I cant speak for the other versions.

This: "It's pretty disheartening to pay all that money for a new vehicle and have to put up with glitches in this new Uconnect system."

I agree completely....

Last edited:

LV426

Reaction score
And to add to this, I realized that there are always those who never have a single issue with their radios but I do question how that's possible. Do they actually use everything on it? Are they full of it or don't even realize the issues? Do they have some magic combination of things?
My radio is working but has random glitches and preforms poorly, I believe this is its "normal" state at this point without updates/optimizations. I have not brought it to the dealer as I prefer avoid them as much as possible.

*NOTE, My complaints are specific to the UC4 with the 12" screen, I cant speak for the other versions.

Last edited:

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And to add to this, I realized that there are always those who never have a single issue with their radios but I do question how that's possible. Do they actually use everything on it? Are they full of it or don't even realize the issues? Do they have some magic combination of things?
My radio is working but has random glitches and preforms poorly, I believe this is its "normal" state at this point without updates/optimizations. I have not brought it to the dealer as I prefer avoid them as much as possible.
I've had 3 vehicles so far with 8.4" UC4 (none with built-in nav though). None of them have ever had what I'd call a 'serious issue', and yes I use every feature. My Charger would occasionally (maybe once every couple months) become unresponsive, go black, and reboot itself. Whole process would inconvenience me for maybe 5 minutes. After the reboot it would work fine. My wife's Jeep does something similar, but it's only happened twice that I can remember (in 2 years). My truck will occasionally not load Android Auto when the phone is plugged in, but this is easily solved by unplugging/plugging it in again and is probably due to me trying to get plugged in and moving too fast before the system has had a chance to 'boot up'. The Ram has never had any other UC issues.

UC5 is still fairly new, and although it's been in the Pacifica and Durango for a year (10.1" screen) the Ram's 8.4" & 12" interfaces are new for the UC5 system. Hopefully they'll get the bugs worked out quickly. It's Android based now so maybe it'll be easier for Ram to hire people with experience in Android based software and/or get outside help if needed for issues? I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 3 days and ran into 1 issue with UC5, and it was that it froze up for about 15-20 seconds. I was listening to music via AA, went to the home screen and the track playing didn't up, tried going back to AA and then hit the home button again and it froze up. Other than that, it's been fine for everything I've used so far.
Does anyone know where to turn down/off the notifications for red light cameras?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I've had my truck for 3 days and ran into 1 issue with UC5, and it was that it froze up for about 15-20 seconds. I was listening to music via AA, went to the home screen and the track playing didn't up, tried going back to AA and then hit the home button again and it froze up. Other than that, it's been fine for everything I've used so far.
Does anyone know where to turn down/off the notifications for red light cameras?

I’ve started a UC5 for the Ram here also. Feel free to add issues here: Uconnect 5 is much better but…

LV426

Reaction score
If you want to know all the issue we ran into, have some reading here.

LOL, reading through the thread and It certainly sounds familiar....

This guy hit it right on the head:

va-terps4

"Unfortunately, there seems to be a bit of hot potato being played when it comes to the Uconnect system. DODGE put it in the vehicles, but in truth they don't know much about it. They basically expect the Uconnect folks to handle anything that happens with these things. IMHO, it appears Uconnect either doesn't want to work that way, or simply isn't prepared to do so. So neither of them is really doing a good job supporting the owners. The techs at the dealerships aren't trained on it, the customer service folks at DODGE know even less, and Uconnect hides behind a terrible internet site, and some slow-responding email addresses. Meanwhile we clearly have a system that is having initial deployment issues. It is no simple thing to build a system like this, but that isn't really a sufficient excuse when people can't get basic functions to work reliably. Hopefully there really is a new firmware release coming soon, and this isn't some story intended to buy their software developers additional time. The sad part is with Stellantis or FCA or Chrysler (or whatever they want to be called this week) their customer communications are so bad at this point we can't even guess what to believe anymore."

MrDazana

Reaction score
Hi all. With the rebel, is there a offroad application on the radio stack ? or is it just on the evic ?

BB22

Reaction score
Update regarding the navigation map when Uconnect is in dark mode: I found that by switching the nav from 3D to 2D, I can now see the smaller roads that appeared very dark gray when in 3D. One other thing I've noticed is that sometimes the highways appear yellow and sometimes they are outlined in bright green. The same thing with smaller roads. Sometimes they appear light gray and sometimes green. I travel the same roads every day and the green outline on the roads seem to appear randomly. The traffic on these roads is pretty much the same regardless of the time of day, so I don't see how the green can be related to traffic flow or vehicle speeds. I contacted TomTom and Uconnect customer service and they were both clueless! Had absolutely no idea what the colors mean or why they change.

LV426

Reaction score
Yeah, the road color is probably supposed to correspond to traffic conditions (like Google maps/Waze) however It has never worked correctly that I have noticed. I believe something is broken with the way the radio pulls its data from SXM. That's why the traffic and weather never update correctly (SiriusXM Travel Link).

But Uconnect is okay with that and if you ask them about it they will just blow it off like no big deal.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Hi all. With the rebel, is there a offroad application on the radio stack ? or is it just on the evic ?
I don’t have the ORP so can’t say for sure. It could be another one of those “it’ll be added soon with an update.“ Some of these features aren’t enabled yet like google assistant and Alexa.

BB22

Reaction score
Yeah, the road color is probably supposed to correspond to traffic conditions (like Google maps/Waze) however It has never worked correctly that I have noticed. I believe something is broken with the way the radio pulls its data from SXM. That's why the traffic and weather never update correctly (SiriusXM Travel Link).

But Uconnect is okay with that and if you ask them about it they will just blow it off like no big deal.
I believe you are correct about the radio not updating its data fast enough. It's very inconsistent. I was driving southbound on an interstate today and it showed the southbound lanes in green, indicating light traffic, while the northbound lanes were showing up in yellow indicating normal/moderate traffic. The problem was there was hardly any vehicles in the northbound lanes, for quite a distance! Not really a big deal but you would think the system would be engineered to respond quicker and more accurately than it does.

LV426

Reaction score
I agree, its not really a big deal, first world problems... But, It's bugging me that SXM is aware of a problem with the radio, Uconnect is aware of a problem with the radio and none of them are doing **** to fix it. At the end of the day, I (we) still paid for it, it was still on the feature list on my window sticker, so I kind of expect it to work or they should at least publicly acknowledge its not working properly and compensate. The fact that some of the same issue's seem to be leaking over to the "new" UC5's is concerning but not surprising....

MrDazana

Reaction score
The offroad pages arethere. It take about a month to show up after you register with ucooent. A software update was notified on my stack and after it was done everything pop up\

cheers

GratefulDead2

Reaction score
Bought my 2022 Rebel 3 weeks ago and had the Uconnect system doing strange things ever since. Blue screen on the back up camera, No back up camera, system and navigation taking too long to load. Other times its instant. The truck came with the 12" screen divided into 2 screens, which was fine with me for the time being. Then one morning it changed to 3 screens by itself. It unpaired my phone 4 times already. I checked for software updates with a service advisor at 2 different dealerships and they both showed that there were none available and my truck was up to date. I then checked with a friend of mine who is a master tech at a Dodge dealer. He ran my vin and found an update that was just released on 11/9/21. The techs have better access to things than the service advisors do. Well he installed the update yesterday along with a factory reset and now I'm having issues with the screen brightness especially when using the navigation. I've got the display set to dark mode and most of the time the nav screen is so dark you can't even see the roads on the map. The only thing you can see is the blue arrow designating the vehicle. I am really surprised that you can't keep the nav on light mode and keep everything else on dark, considering that you can customize just about everything else in the display. It's pretty disheartening to pay all that money for a new vehicle and have to put up with glitches in this new Uconnect system. I've had a 2014,2017 and now the 2022 and the Uconnect system had multiple issues in every one of them. Poorly engineered and tested in my opinion.

I have the same truck with night edition pkg. I am experiencing some of the same issues. The (TomTom) nav system is a disaster in my opinion. Takes forever to load, Traffic flow and weather work intermittenly at best. For the price we pay for these trucks we should not be experiencing this.

Users who are viewing this thread