5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rebel blown engine

Ranman222

Reaction score
Well this sucks, my 2022 Rebel has 44,000 miles and #8 piston is destroyed and engine is locked up. Just driving down the highway 75 mph and it just went. Oil changes done every 5-7000 miles. I’m thinking it dropped a valve. New warranty engine on order, we’ll see how long this takes.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Well this sucks, my 2022 Rebel has 44,000 miles and #8 piston is destroyed and engine is locked up. Just driving down the highway 75 mph and it just went. Oil changes done every 5-7000 miles. I’m thinking it dropped a valve. New warranty engine on order, we’ll see how long this takes.
see if dealer will take pictures

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Be happy it happened now and not at 64,000 miles…….unless you have an extended warranty.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Be happy it happened now and not at 64,000 miles…….unless you have an extended warranty.
I wasn't happy when my last engine blew under warranty. It was the sign to sell it. Would rather engines not blow up. It is better for the wallet for sure.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Dam that sucks. I had my oil changed by the dealer and I noticed a tad bit of oil on the ground when I got home. Crawled underneath. I could spin the filter with my hand. The leak wasn't large to my surprise but im glad I noticed or I may have blown my motor b/c of the dealer. I have returned to doing all my own maintnece b/c i know the dealers have any old chump doing oil changes

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dam that sucks. I had my oil changed by the dealer and I noticed a tad bit of oil on the ground when I got home. Crawled underneath. I could spin the filter with my hand. The leak wasn't large to my surprise but im glad I noticed or I may have blown my motor b/c of the dealer. I have returned to doing all my own maintnece b/c i know the dealers have any old chump doing oil changes

Yup, this is why I do it myself, I don't trust the dealer to do it, especially these days, they seem to be lazier and less attentive than ever.

I trusted our old Lexus to a local quick change shop last year that seemed to be competent. However, I did the oil change myself this year and found they stuck on a cheap drain plug that almost destroyed the threads on the oil pan. I needed a lot of torque to unscrew that drain bolt, which means the idiot who stuck it on needed a lot of torque to screw it on and didn't give a crap what he was doing. Luckily I was able to get a new drain bolt in and message the threads back. I left the meanest Yelp review I could, hopefully I warned others about them.

Ranman222

Reaction score
Well, 50 days later and no new engine yet, meanwhile we got a snowstorm and my plow is just sitting there without my truck. Not happy. I checked with a lawyer and I’m eligible for the lemon law because they’ve had it longer than 30 days. Really don’t want to go that route, just want my truck back.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, 50 days later and no new engine yet, meanwhile we got a snowstorm and my plow is just sitting there without my truck. Not happy. I checked with a lawyer and I’m eligible for the lemon law because they’ve had it longer than 30 days. Really don’t want to go that route, just want my truck back.
What is the dealerships excuse?
Should only take a week or 2 tops to get the replacement engine in...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Waiting on engines from Stellantis. 2 hemi's and 5 V6's at the time mine was ordered.
If you wanted to get it fixed sooner instead of going the lemon law route, you can call several other nearby dealerships and say the warranty work is approved but waiting on an engine and see what they say.
It's not unheard of to have a truck to towed from 1 dealership who is not doing to work timely or appropriately to another that has parts and or will do it (Ram paying for the tow obviously).

Sucks to be in your position for sure.

Ranman222

Reaction score
If you wanted to get it fixed sooner instead of going the lemon law route, you can call several other nearby dealerships and say the warranty work is approved but waiting on an engine and see what they say.
It's not unheard of to have a truck to towed from 1 dealership who is not doing to work timely or appropriately to another that has parts and or will do it (Ram paying for the tow obviously).

Sucks to be in your position for sure.
Good idea, I wish I would’ve thought about that earlier. They’re supposed to install the new engine next week, so hopefully not much longer.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, and not that it would mean anything one way or the other, but is this a regular Hemi 5.7? Meaning it's not an eTorque Hemi?

tsc74

Reaction score
I've just rolled 110,000 on my '21 BTS eTorque 4WD. I've done all my own oil changes and maintenance. The dealer has only seen my truck once, 3 months after new for complimentary oil change. I checked over the engine afterwards, I swore it wouldn't see the dealership again, AMSOIL every oil change since then. I always put top end cleaner additive ever few thousand miles and fuel injector cleaner every other fill up. That ethanol will wreak havoc on engines, unless you find a pump that serves up ethanol free gas (MURPHY USA). Do your own maintenance if your able.

edgarrian

Reaction score
I've just rolled 110,000 on my '21 BTS eTorque 4WD. I've done all my own oil changes and maintenance. The dealer has only seen my truck once, 3 months after new for complimentary oil change. I checked over the engine afterwards, I swore it wouldn't see the dealership again, AMSOIL every oil change since then. I always put top end cleaner additive ever few thousand miles and fuel injector cleaner every other fill up. That ethanol will wreak havoc on engines, unless you find a pump that serves up ethanol free gas (MURPHY USA). Do your own maintenance if your able.
My wife has a Mazda CX-5 we purchased new in 2017. I do my own maintenance and never use amsoil. Still runs like a champ at 170,000 miles. I have 2007 Mustang I bought new. Never used amsoil. Still runs like a top. Maintenance is maintenance. As long as you are doing it. It will for sure last longer but that doesn't mean you might have to fix gasket on the pan at some point or whatever the case maybe. I guess my point is you dont need expensive oil to make car last longer. You just need regular maintenance. Thats it

Users who are viewing this thread