5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram

Haywire~Ram

Reaction score
Hello all,

first time poster. I’m looking at a left over (new) Bighorn with the Hemi. I’ve read a lot about cracked exhaust manifolds Which is obviously a concern.

1. Were there any improvements in the manifold for 2022?
2. In your opinion, is this a matter of ‘when’ and not ‘if’?
This would be a daily driver and I’m not hard on my trucks. I appreciate any and all opinions!

take care!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

first time poster. I’m looking at a left over (new) Bighorn with the Hemi. I’ve read a lot about cracked exhaust manifolds Which is obviously a concern.

1. Were there any improvements in the manifold for 2022?
2. In your opinion, is this a matter of ‘when’ and not ‘if’?
This would be a daily driver and I’m not hard on my trucks. I appreciate any and all opinions!

take care!
my 2022 only has 15k miles so no issue yet.
how many miles on truck?
this should apply, gas-powered vehicles with a 5-year/60,000-mile Gas Powertrain Limited Warranty

Haywire~Ram

Reaction score
The truck is a left over brand new non-etorque hemi, which is why I’m interested.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I found a used 21 Big Horn/Lonestar with 11,300 last year and haven't had any problems. I specifically searched out non etorq, which was hard to find, plus 3.92's and 26 gallon fuel tank. If it fits your needs and checks your boxes, I say go for it.

23RAM

Reaction score
Welcome...I wouldn't be worried...it seems not to be an overly large percentage. There's many out there that have not had theirs crack but we don't hear from them because they don't come here to complain.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They added some straps that are supposed to help. Not sure that they do, but you won't be able to get anything but etorque in a '23+, and don't think anything changed as far as exhaust, so I would say buy it. If they Crack get shorties.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
2022 and 2023 are 100% identical minus the etorque and non etorque option as far as i know. As for the manifold cracking and the bolts snapping if they have fixed the issue, no they have not and they wont. From what i hear and research on here and reddit... the hemi tick is a 50/50 chance you'll get it, same with the the back 3rd taillight leaking. Those are the two biggest issues with the 5.7. Some never get it, some get it after a couple thousand miles. Great truck though all and all if taken care of, ESPACIALLY non etorque thats awesome, i have a 23 so unfortunatley i was SOL b.c i didnt want it so i disable it. id say pull the trigger my brother.

Haywire~Ram

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Appreciate it! I guess the other thing I’m wondering about is I guess this truck has been on their lot for over a year. Think that’s anything to worry about?

Last edited:

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. Appreciate it! I guess the other thing I’m wondering about is I guess this truck has been on their lot for over a year. Think that’s anything to worry about?
i personally wouldnt worry about that. what i do know is dealerships for a rule of thumb try and get rid of vehicles 90-120s off the lot. so if it really has been sitting on that exact lot for a year.... they should be a win for you. why? b.c obviously no one is buying it, so you should easily be able to haggle the price down so much more on top of the manufacture incentives. id go tomorrow if i were you. you can simply tell the dealership to look it over and make sure all checks out, and before you pull it off the lot, do an inspection of your own. and before you sing papers, test drive it. cheers.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought MY22 in May 31, 2023 with 7994 miles on it. Hemi, non ET and 3.92’s. 12” Uconn5 to boot. That checked all my boxes and got it for a great price. Found a contract in the glove box for lease and was traded in early. I personally think it was because of the 3.92’s and overall truck poor gas mileage that the original leaser wasn’t happy with, probably because he didn’t do his homework on the reality of trucks in the real world, not EPA fantasy land. Plus Bidenomics with soaring gas prices doesn’t help either.

No issues with exhaust manifold or rear window yet and she’s about to turn 13k miles.

Good luck brother!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a Mustang like that years ago. Someone took it to a different lot, parked it in back and took the keys. It sat for almost a year.

My only concern would be flat spots on the tires. I would still go get it.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I have a 22 Bighorn with the 5.7 only issue I have is uconnect radio spzzes out several times a week just starts flashing and have to do a hard reset and the thump from the brakes releasing (I think) 41k miles other than that its good

Haywire~Ram

Reaction score
All great points. I truly appreciate it. I have looked at some window stickers for ‘23s that do not say etorque so I’m wondering if early ’23s might not have it.
Thank you again. This seems like a great group!

23RAM

Reaction score
If it's that old, but unused, I'd ask them to bench test the battery as it's probably lost some capacity sitting around.

23RAM

Reaction score
All great points. I truly appreciate it. I have looked at some window stickers for ‘23s that do not say etorque so I’m wondering if early ’23s might not have it.
Thank you again. This seems like a great group!
I've seen 23's with 5.7 non-etorque as well. I think the non-etorque option didn't fully disappear until the 24 model year.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen 23's with 5.7 non-etorque as well. I think the non-etorque option didn't fully disappear until the 24 model year.
This is true, but all of the non-etorque 5.7's built in 2023 were for Canada (or export markets).

EDIT: I lied. I just went back and checked my records, and apparently there were six trucks built for the USA (with 5.7L non-etorque engines). It's not clear to me how/why these six were built like that.

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2022 and 2023 are 100% identical minus the etorque and non etorque option as far as i know. As for the manifold cracking and the bolts snapping if they have fixed the issue, no they have not and they wont. From what i hear and research on here and reddit... the hemi tick is a 50/50 chance you'll get it, same with the the back 3rd taillight leaking. Those are the two biggest issues with the 5.7. Some never get it, some get it after a couple thousand miles. Great truck though all and all if taken care of, ESPACIALLY non etorque thats awesome, i have a 23 so unfortunatley i was SOL b.c i didnt want it so i disable it. id say pull the trigger my brother.
#rd brake light gasket was redesigned sometime in 22 I think. The earlier ones have had the warranty extended to 8 or 10 years. The rear window was also extended, and I don't remember which was 8 and which was 10.

23RAM

Reaction score
This is true, but all of the non-etorque 5.7's built in 2023 were for Canada (or export markets).
Funny that they would do that.
EDIT: I lied. I just went back and checked my records, and apparently there were six trucks built for the USA (with 5.7L non-etorque engines). It's not clear to me how/why these six were built like that.
Perhaps earlier orders that needed to be fulfilled?

23RAM

Reaction score
#rd brake light gasket was redesigned sometime in 22 I think.
I hope so...mine was built Nov 2022, but it has the philips head screws, not the torx screws that I thought was for the new part?

Haywire~Ram

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has replied. I’m learning a lot! might look for a non-etorque ‘23 since the ‘24s are already out and the deal on the ‘22 is merely ‘ok’.

Users who are viewing this thread