5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 ram sport suspension question

HackitZ

Reaction score
Hi all looking for some advise on suspension.
I have a 2022 ram 1500 sport with coil overs up front and springs in the back.
I just picked up a 17foot travel trailer that's about 4000lbs loaded.
Should I or could I add shocks to the back or change the springs to coil overs?
Thanks.
FYI it's also my work truck, I do renovations.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks.
I tow a 5,000 lb boat and didn't have to change anything. It's all about the balance of the trailer, not the weight. When you see the idiots driving down the freeway with the back bumper almost dragging on the ground, it's because the trailer is loaded wrong with too much tongue weight.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 5,000 lb boat and didn't have to change anything. It's all about the balance of the trailer, not the weight. When you see the idiots driving down the freeway with the back bumper almost dragging on the ground, it's because the trailer is loaded wrong with too much tongue weight.
My 4500lb boat doesn't squat my truck, yet my empty 5800lb travel trailer will make the truck squat significantly.

Curious, what do you pull the 5000lb boat with?

23RAM

Reaction score
I concur...tongue weight is often overlooked. My boat trailer is configured for a 5% tongue weight (recommended by manufacturer) which makes it about 250 lbs and it rides well.

@HackitZ If the axles on the trailer are not adjustable for weight distribution, then move the cargo in the trailer to lighten the tongue weight - it shouldn't need to be more than about 10%.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks.
What are you trying to do with adding springs, shocks, or helpers? A good weight distribution/anti sway hitch is all you might need.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 4500lb boat doesn't squat my truck, yet my empty 5800lb travel trailer will make the truck squat significantly.

Curious, what do you pull the 5000lb boat with?
Right now 2021 Durango. 7,200lb towing capacity. With tow and go, it would be 8,700lb.

HackitZ

Reaction score
thanks for all the replys, yeah she pulls the trailer fine. i have the weight of stuff mostly on the axles of the trailer. was more just curious if people were adding anything to help.
right now when i connect the trailer the truck drops about 3.5 inches on the back.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty close. I've loaded things in and stepped my 350+ pounds on the gate. Barely drops.
Wonder how many other people can say the same. My tongue weight of my travel trailer is 680lbs, drops the *** end a few inches..... you must have a magical truck or air suspension.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks for all the replys, yeah she pulls the trailer fine. i have the weight of stuff mostly on the axles of the trailer. was more just curious if people were adding anything to help.
right now when i connect the trailer the truck drops about 3.5 inches on the back.
WDH hitch will be your friend. I use an Andersen now and love it. You could add a helpers like air bags or Timbrens.

Users who are viewing this thread