5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 ram seems Worse on fuel then 19

Kaeddog

Reaction score
Hey there, I Have a 2022 longhorn 1500 5.7, seems to be allot
Harder on fuel then the 19 5.7 sport we had. Anyone else have a similar issue.

Ya Ya I know it’s not a truck you
Buy for fuel economy!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does it have the exact same options? Weight matters too.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Wheel and tire package between the two? I'm assuming they were both the same axle ratio?

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . I would say weight between the two . A Longhorn will weight more than a Sport .

Kaeddog

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply’s, ya I was wondering if the weight would be that noticeable, both have the 3:21 axel ratio and the smaller 98L or whatever it is fuel tanks, so I thought it would be closer to the same !

Kaeddog

Reaction score
Wheel and tire package between the two? I'm assuming they were both the same axle ratio?
Both were the same on everything tires, rims fuel tank size, axle ratio, maybe this one just needs some brake in time. Have only 3000km so far

ldoh

Reaction score
From Fueleconomy's website It looks like the hemi 4wd has the same fuel economy between 2019 and 2022.

Unfortunately some builds are better than others. Some trannys run hotter, some engines are more thirsty. Hopefully it isn't a dramatic difference. I should add I've never noticed improved fuel economy as an engine breaks ins. Loose engines have more oil blow-by and generate less power. Engines are broken in at the factory to improve reliability and reduce warranty cost.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey there, I Have a 2022 longhorn 1500 5.7, seems to be allot
Harder on fuel then the 19 5.7 sport we had. Anyone else have a similar issue.

Ya Ya I know it’s not a truck you
Buy for fuel economy!

Winter blend fuel is worse for fuel economy. Summer blend should add 1 to 2 mpg at minimum. I see a 3 mpg difference between the 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaeddog

Reaction score
True ya maybe that’s what it could be to. New cold the time we have owned it the last couple months so it’s maybe seems worse but it’s maybe the same

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck!

As others have said…
  • Mine was worse until about 4k-5k miles or so, give or take. Some report it taking longer. Give it some time to break in.
  • Sport vs Longhorn is a little weight difference, but not a ton (pardon the pun). That may effect it a little bit, but not much.
  • Winter blend fuel, all else being equal, will always net you worse MPG. Last year, my truck was about 1-2 MPG worse. This winter, its a solid 2 MPG worse so far.
  • Every engine can be a little different, you may have just got a little thirstier one.
  • When you say they were the same on tires, were they the same identical tire brand/model/tread as well (not just size)?

Kaeddog

Reaction score
I don’t always trust the DTE reader but even just the
Congrats on the new truck!

As others have said…
  • Mine was worse until about 4k-5k miles or so, give or take. Some report it taking longer. Give it some time to break in.
  • Sport vs Longhorn is a little weight difference, but not a ton (pardon the pun). That may effect it a little bit, but not much.
  • Winter blend fuel, all else being equal, will always net you worse MPG. Last year, my truck was about 1-2 MPG worse. This winter, its a solid 2 MPG worse so far.
  • Every engine can be a little different, you may have just got a little thirstier one.
  • When you say they were the same on tires, were they the same identical tire brand/model/tread as well (not just size)?
thanks for the reply ! Good to know! Yeah for my winters I have 20”s and for the summers which we haven’t really used yet they come on the truck 22”s. The old
19 sport had 22”s also for
Summers with close to the same tires as this one.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck was delivered on December 10th last year, so no warm weather driving for me yet. I burn close to an eigth of a tank driving to work one way. My drive is 35 miles. I have around 2600 miles on it, and have noticed a slight boost in mpg recently. Things seem to be getting seated.

Kaeddog

Reaction score
Had thought of running slightly bigger tires, but maybe not ! Ha

Users who are viewing this thread