5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Rebel GT Problems

Greedysob

Reaction score
Since I bought my truck back in 2021 of November, I've been having problems.

2 months after buying the truck i got a blinking engine light. It would start to blink at a speed of 50km/h. The truck would feel "sluggish" if i tried to exceed 50km/h. The blinking engine light would go away if i slowed down below 50km/h and would go away once i turned the truck off and on. I made an appointment for it and was told nothing was wrong and there was no codes stored. So i had left it and it was fine. It never came up agian untill a year later.

1 year later after purchase, around 2022 of Dec. I experienced the same thing but it happened 2 days in a row. Again once i got to 50km/h it felt "sluggish" with limited power and if i slowed down below 50km/h the blinking engine light would go away. It would be fine after turning the truck off and on. I made an appointment for this issue. At this point im thinking there has to be something wrong with it. Its new so im curious as to why is it doing this? My dealership told me again there is nothing wrong no codes were stored.

2 years later after purchase, 2023 Oct/Nov i got 2 more blinking engine light separate days. First day same thing happened got to 50km/h every thing was the same as the other times. I made an appointment, but this time i told them this is the 4th time this has happened so there's got to be some thing wrong. They had my truck for a half a day doing tests. Again i was told they couldnt find anything wrong with it. At this point ive lost hope with these guys.
Later in Nov it happened again but this time it was different. I got a blinking engine light at 30km/h and the truck would shake like crazy when i would exceed 30km/h. It felt like my wheels were loose. Thats how much it shook!. When i parked it continued to shake.

This time i didnt make an appointment. I wanted to talk to some one about this and find out what i should to before bringing it in again. I dont want to waste my time just to be told there's nothing wrong repeatedly.
All of those times the engine light came on in the mornings about 15 min after starting the truck.

When i come to a stop i can feel the truck shake a bit then go away randomly. Just recently it happened again. Once i drove and got tp 30km/h It reved up and lost power a few seconds then was ok.

I need help on want i should do. I bought my self a OBD2 scanner to see if i can get a code when it happens again. should i try another dealership? The dealership told me if it happens again to get it towed to the shop but whats the point if i turn the truck off and on the engine ight gos away.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you using 4WD during these events? Either intentionally, or unintentionally?

jd20lar

Reaction score
How shaking? Whole truck? Steering Wheel only shaking?

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

23RAM

Reaction score
Later in Nov it happened again but this time it was different. I got a blinking engine light at 30km/h and the truck would shake like crazy when i would exceed 30km/h. It felt like my wheels were loose. Thats how much it shook!. When i parked it continued to shake.
I've experienced a similar thing with my late 2022 model. First time it happened, it ran rough with engine shake and lit up the CEL. At the dealer they scanned and found mis-fire on cyl 5. They replaced the coil pack and it was fine for a week. Then it started intermittently running rough with bad engine shake but the CEL would flash indicating a critical error, but take my foot of the gas and the light would go away. I took it to the dealer and didn't shut it off - their head tech came out and immediately noticed the roughness and engine shake - but no CEL or codes. He took it straight into the shop and put it on the computer to monitor it idling and it was indicating mis-fire on cyl 3 and 5. He swapped coil packs and it went away and ran fine. It's been a couple weeks now and it still runs fine but I feel the truck is unreliable because they didn't fix/replace any parts and the tech was thinking it was a PCM error. Of course, if it doesn't throw a code they can't diagnose the issue and replace parts under warranty.

It's very frustrating but it's obviously not running right. If it does it again, I'm taking the truck to the dealer and leaving it there and demand they fix or replace it. It's of no use to me if I can't reliably drive it while making payments on it and it's my daily driver for work. If we had a lemon law, it would be an easy replacement as the same issues has returned 5 times now.
:rolleyes:

Greedysob

Reaction score
Are you using 4WD during these events? Either intentionally, or unintentionally?

I remeber switching it from 4 wheel auto to 2WD and it happened. I would assume i was using 4 wheel auto the other times because it was during winter. Whats weird to is its happening ony in the morings when its the coldest and about 15 min after starting the truck.

How shaking? Whole truck? Steering Wheel only shaking?

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

The shake was intense. I dont recall the steering wheel shaking just the truck lucky i was close to my work and was able to park it but once i parked it still shook.

I've experienced a similar thing with my late 2022 model. First time it happened, it ran rough with engine shake and lit up the CEL. At the dealer they scanned and found mis-fire on cyl 5. They replaced the coil pack and it was fine for a week. Then it started intermittently running rough with bad engine shake but the CEL would flash indicating a critical error, but take my foot of the gas and the light would go away. I took it to the dealer and didn't shut it off - their head tech came out and immediately noticed the roughness and engine shake - but no CEL or codes. He took it straight into the shop and put it on the computer to monitor it idling and it was indicating mis-fire on cyl 3 and 5. He swapped coil packs and it went away and ran fine. It's been a couple weeks now and it still runs fine but I feel the truck is unreliable because they didn't fix/replace any parts and the tech was thinking it was a PCM error. Of course, if it doesn't throw a code they can't diagnose the issue and replace parts under warranty.

It's very frustrating but it's obviously not running right. If it does it again, I'm taking the truck to the dealer and leaving it there and demand they fix or replace it. It's of no use to me if I can't reliably drive it while making payments on it and it's my daily driver for work. If we had a lemon law, it would be an easy replacement as the same issues has returned 5 times now.
:rolleyes:

Yes this is really frustrating having to take time of work or my day and be told nothings wrong with it. The next time this happens i hope i get the codes with my OBD2 reader and maybe just take the risk and drive to the dealership. I'm considering trading this truck in but these interest rates wont let me :D

shiznitzel77

Reaction score
I am experiencing a very similar situation with my 2023 1500 Rebel GT (e-torque). twice over 6 months, the engine light has come on while driving, truck is sluggish until parked and restarted. taken into the dealer only to find "no codes" and nothing can be done. However DAILY I experience a very annoying shaking of the engine when stopped at a light, its lasts for around 20-30 seconds then clears away. it feels the the entire truck is shaking but RPM needle remains steady at idle ... anyone have any similar shaking experience while idle at a light?

Last edited:

23RAM

Reaction score
I am experiencing a very similar situation with my 2023 1500 Rebel GT (e-torque). twice over 6 months, the engine light has come on while driving, truck is sluggish until parked and restarted. taken into the dealer only to find "no codes" and nothing can be done. However DAILY I experience a very annoying shaking of the engine when stopped at a light, its lasts for around 20-30 seconds then clears away. it feels the the entire truck is shaking but RPM needle remains steady at idle ... anyone have any similar shaking experience while idle at a light?
Sounds like my ongoing issue - rough running engine and shake and unable to repair (2022 1500 Sport). It did finally throw a Cyl 5 misfire code, replaced coil didn't fix, replaced injector didn't fix, replaced PCM didn't fix, now they're going to try the wiring harness thinking it's a bad wire. This has been ongoing for over 4 months and when the harness comes in I'll be telling them if this doesn't fix it, I want a new replacement truck as it's useless as is. I bought the truck to tow and we haven't been able to tow my sleds up north all winter as the truck is unreliable and is gutless when running rough. Also since the check engine light kicks in, cruise control and remote start won't work. It's been assigned a star case, but that doesn't fix it, just documents for others. Not happy.

Greedysob

Reaction score
I get this to while at a red light it starts to shake. when im able to start going i speed up and it gets sluggish and cuts power at 30km/h and stays there for a few seconds then i can get my speed up and things start to feel normal. i took it in 5 times now and even showed the tech guy a video of the engine light he still has no clue. i guess this guys just plug in the code reader and hope a codes pops up. every time theres no codes. imm wondering if a diffrent dealer would be a good idea. or maybeing emailing Ram about this. My fear is once my warranty is up and i bring it in for these issues there going to say we found the problem and now its going to cost you.

23RAM

Reaction score
I get this to while at a red light it starts to shake. when im able to start going i speed up and it gets sluggish and cuts power at 30km/h and stays there for a few seconds then i can get my speed up and things start to feel normal. i took it in 5 times now and even showed the tech guy a video of the engine light he still has no clue. i guess this guys just plug in the code reader and hope a codes pops up. every time theres no codes. imm wondering if a diffrent dealer would be a good idea. or maybeing emailing Ram about this. My fear is once my warranty is up and i bring it in for these issues there going to say we found the problem and now its going to cost you.
Codes are only stored when the check engine light remains lit solid. Mine will flash while accelerating which indicates a serious malfunction (missing on cyl 5) but it won't throw a code until the light is triggered. After about a dozen of these events, my check engine light stayed on and they could see the error. Problem is they do not seem able to FIX the error. This started end of September 2023 and still not fixed. Previously it was intermittent, now it's consistently missing.

23RAM

Reaction score
Sounds like my ongoing issue - rough running engine and shake and unable to repair (2022 1500 Sport). It did finally throw a Cyl 5 misfire code, replaced coil didn't fix, replaced injector didn't fix, replaced PCM didn't fix, now they're going to try the wiring harness thinking it's a bad wire. This has been ongoing for over 4 months and when the harness comes in I'll be telling them if this doesn't fix it, I want a new replacement truck as it's useless as is. I bought the truck to tow and we haven't been able to tow my sleds up north all winter as the truck is unreliable and is gutless when running rough. Also since the check engine light kicks in, cruise control and remote start won't work. It's been assigned a star case, but that doesn't fix it, just documents for others. Not happy.
Update: the main engine wiring harness was replaced (4 hour job) and the truck has run without issues for 3 weeks. I've been driving it much more often with dozens of start/stop cycles like going around the corner to the gas station and grocery store, work, visiting friends, mixed with a few longer drives of an hour or more. Drove in heavy rain for half an hour, warm sunny days, etc. Ran fine each time. Shouldn't have any gas in oil or unburned fuel in the catalytic as the cause of the misfire was the fuel injector not firing. Plugs are clean. It sounds like it's finally been fixed.

LocoLo604

Reaction score
I’m have the same rough idle issue after cold starts at stop light. Been to the dealer twice with no luck.

Has anyone else had the main engine wiring harness replaced to resolve the issue??

Users who are viewing this thread