5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram Bighorn - UConnect - Android Auto over Bluetooth

beetlespin

Reaction score
Drops out or just a bad crackly connection after a while. Do soft reset comes back again or wait until next morning and all is fine. What a PITA. I hope a future update clears this up. I checked and I am all up to date already. I don't have NAV so I use this for my navigation.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Drops out or just a bad crackly connection after a while. Do soft reset comes back again or wait until next morning and all is fine. What a PITA. I hope a future update clears this up. I checked and I am all up to date already. I don't have NAV so I use this for my navigation.
Awesome isn't it... I haven't been able to use android auto a single time in my Longhorn in the almost 2 years I've owned it. It gives me a weird security error and tells me can't connect make sure your clock is set correctly. My clock stays 3 minutes off if I have it "synced to navigation" if I manually set it it slowly over a few weeks goes 3 minutes ahead as well... I fought and looked for a fix forever and finally just gave up. No updates available for my radio if I go to Mopars site and type the vin in.

Kind of bs really, $70k truck and I havnt been able to use one of the features I was most looking forward to on this new huge ucconect system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome isn't it... I haven't been able to use android auto a single time in my Longhorn in the almost 2 years I've owned it. It gives me a weird security error and tells me can't connect make sure your clock is set correctly. My clock stays 3 minutes off if I have it "synced to navigation" if I manually set it it slowly over a few weeks goes 3 minutes ahead as well... I fought and looked for a fix forever and finally just gave up. No updates available for my radio if I go to Mopars site and type the vin in.

Kind of bs really, $70k truck and I havnt been able to use one of the features I was most looking forward to on this new huge ucconect system.

You have Android auto bluetooth problems?

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
You have Android auto bluetooth problems?
I don't believe mine has Bluetooth AA. Pretty sure that's new to the 22s. Mine has to be hardwired... But yes I've never been able to get AA to work in my truck, give me a security error says make sure my clock is set correctly.... But clock stays 3 minutes fast when "synced to GPS"

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't believe mine has Bluetooth AA. Pretty sure that's new to the 22s. Mine has to be hardwired... But yes I've never been able to get AA to work in my truck, give me a security error says make sure my clock is set correctly.... But clock stays 3 minutes fast when "synced to GPS"

We know uc4 isn't bluetooth.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
We know uc4 isn't bluetooth.
What?.... Lol your confusing me. And obviously not any help so ok. not sure the point of your pointless short answers. Why ask me if I'm having Bluetooth problems if you already know it's not Bluetooth?

Last edited:

Bavet

Reaction score
I had some problems when I first got my truck. Had to delete and reload Android Auto and I haven't had any problems since. Knock on wood!

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
I had some problems when I first got my truck. Had to delete and reload Android Auto and I haven't had any problems since. Knock on wood!
What do you mean by delete and reload?... Im assuming your talking about on your phone right?.. What problems were you having?

Bavet

Reaction score
What do you mean by delete and reload?... Im assuming your talking about on your phone right?.. What problems were you having?

Yes. On my phone. Connection problems. Worked fine when we set it up at the dealer. Stopped connecting the next day and was sporadic for a few days before I deleted and reloaded AA on my phone. I have uConnect 5. Connect via bluetooth, not hardwire.

beetlespin

Reaction score
I'll give the reload AA a shot. Worked yesterday without any issue.

My AA only works using Bluetooth. When I connect the USB it does nothing, it won't even charge. I need to conect to the old fashioned cigarette lighter port with an addapter to fast charge. You gotta be kidding me.

My 2019 Ford Ranger was able to fast charge from the USB.

Only thing I am not loving about this truck so far.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Beginning with Android version 10, Android Auto is built-in and no longer a loadable application.

I've discovered wireless Android Auto connects to Uconnect 5 wirelessly using WiFi but still uses BlueTooth for the telephone connection.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I just plug my in.
no problems.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI...wireless android auto is not bluetooth. It creates a wifi connection.

Bavet

Reaction score
I'll give the reload AA a shot. Worked yesterday without any issue.

My AA only works using Bluetooth. When I connect the USB it does nothing, it won't even charge. I need to conect to the old fashioned cigarette lighter port with an addapter to fast charge. You gotta be kidding me.

My 2019 Ford Ranger was able to fast charge from the USB.

Only thing I am not loving about this truck so far.
I don't have any problem charging my phone via the USB but I believe AA only works wirelessly.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
My phone (new Samsung) connects automatically, wireless, to my 8.4" non-Nav stereo, shows Android Auto for map automatically, phone connection automatically, and also shows USB (always plugged in) stereo tunes automatically. 2022 Bighorn with Level 2 group, nothing fancy.

Dave

Bavet

Reaction score
in my truck AA works when plugged in
So I tried this in my truck today. Turned off the wireless on my phone, plugged the phone into the USB port and after a few seconds AA connected. However, I got a message on my phone that AA turned my wireless on and my wireless was indeed back on. Perhaps there's a setting to stop AA from automatically turning on my wireless.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Cross-posting from another thread:

I've had my truck for a little over a week and I'm also trying to deal with the finicky Android Auto experience. Overall, Android Auto is pretty good when it works, and it's worth mentioning that my phone's USB port is not great (regardless of what cable I use).

So far, this is my understanding of Android Auto:
Android Auto is not transmitted by Bluetooth. The Bluetooth only establishes a handshake between the phone and vehicle. I think call and music audio might travel through the BT, but overall, the interface only works through USB or 5Ghz Direct Wi-Fi.

In practice, the Bluetooth is supposed to let the phone and car know they're near, then a password is shared to establish a Wi-Fi data connection. It should all happen automatically and then Android Auto should simply come up on the screen. For most of us, that isn't happening. The Bluetooth is pairing, but it's unable to establish that second data link, so it's just stuck in "connecting" status. The solution is to either plug in the USB or manually initiate a wireless connection. Because the USB isn't a great option for my phone, here's what I have to do EVERY TIME I start my Ram:
-Open up my phone and go to settings.
-Browse: Settings > Connected devices > Android Auto > +Connect a Car > Connect using wireless Android Auto
---(I tried to create a shortcut on my phone's home screen, but I've been unsuccessful)
-From there, The Wi-Fi will connect and Android Auto will usually come up on my screen.
-If it doesn't, I'll push and hold the Voice Command button on my steering wheel and that does the trick.
-Android Auto will continue to work with no major issues for the rest of the trip.

I do have one other problem with Android Auto: Music will drop out.
I'll still have sound from my Nav and Android Auto will still work in every other way, but the music will be muted despite it clearly advancing through the song.

I think it has something to do with voice commands or google speech. I've found that I can sometimes go to my phone's keyboard and the google voice will be actively listening, which mutes the audio. I've found a quicker solution is to simply press the radio's power button off and back on really quick and everything will return back to normal.

For both problems, the quirk seems to be on the Phone's side. I'm not sure if it would act differently if I got a newer phone, but Android Auto is definitely buggy.

Users who are viewing this thread