5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 Speedometer Calibration issues

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My '22 is off after the bigger tires since I bought it from the dealer.
Dealer still tells me they can't calibrate the speedo. What's the programmer to buy? Will it adjust the shift points, if they needed it? I'm off my 7km/hr at 100km/hr it really bugs me lol
Get AlfaOBD, a security bypass, and an OBD II reader for about $100 USD and you're set. It does not change your shift points. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show the step by step instructions. It's seems a little intimidating at first, but it's actually very easy. You can change a lot of different settings on your truck with AlfaOBD, so it's a bargain compared to the units that just program tire size.

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
Ok so here we go...

After MUCH frustration I decided to have my truck taken to the dealership for them to completely factory reset my computer and BCM since I thought my rough country speedo calibrator and ALFA OBD tool messed my truck up.... I wanted to start at square one again. So they brought it back to me and on the repair order it stated that when i was doing 61 MPH on the speedo, it was really 65 MPH real speed. I opened up my GPS app and found that my phone was not reading that, rather my speed was reading 61 on the speedo and 57 on real speed GPS... i was furious a this point with the dealership because I thought they were wrong and didn't reset anything....

HOWEVER before calling them and trying to complain or figure it out, for whatever reason I found out when I had my truck paired to my phone via BLUETOOTH, my GPS reading was off on my phone (even more off then it was supposed to be because of the theory of "larger tires" make the speedo off)!!!! I downloaded a dozen or more apps, all showing my speed was WAYYYYY more off then what it was supposed to be. Out of pure luck and no where else to turn, I used my wife's phone along with several others to check and all of theirs was always showing a much different reading then mine! , and showing correct GPS speed, so INDEED when you have larger tires installed, your speedo is off. Speedo read 61 when I was actually doing 65 MPH. ALL along my phone being paired to my truck via Bluetooth was throwing my GPS speed off on my phone APP (I cannot even begin to explain why!!!!) however once disconnected from my truck, I was getting accurate GPS readings again just like theirs were...

So that solved my issue of why my ALPHA OBD program kept wanting me to program smaller tire sizes in order to get closer to my GPS speed I was showing on my phone, because my phone GPS was way off!

So with that being said, WHEN YOU TRY TO CALIBRATE YOUR TRUCK VIA GPS APP, MAKE SURE IT IS DISCONNECTED FROM YOUR TRUCKS BLUETOOTH!!!

Now after all of that, once again I created a complete backup of my truck settings with ALFA OBD and wanted to try and calibrate it again, and guys let me tell you what, it worked BEAUTIFULLY!!!!! my speedo and GPS is right on the money!!!!! it was so dang easy to use and I feel it 100% updated the shift points on the truck because it now knows the correct speed it's going. it shifts smoothly and my MPG increased "on display readout" because it's reading the true amount of miles my truck is traveling and my "miles until empty" have been pretty close to spot on as well!

Talk about a frustrating several weeks of trying to figure this out, now knowing it was my stupid phone for whatever reason.

I CAN 100% CONFIRM THAT ALFA OBD WILL PROGRAM A 2022 RAM TRUCK'S tire sizes and recalibrate the speedometer! :):)

now if i can only figure out some of the other cool stuff it can do that would be awesome.

I did add "off road pages" and "performance pages" and got that to program successfully as well if that helps anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_8134 1.jpg
    IMG_8134 1.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

jbs45

Reaction score
I'm in the Columbus,OH area. I called 6 dealerships, they said it may or may not work but to "bring it in & they'd try". Found one dealership that said they could definitely do it/had done it before. Took it in, $125 to calibrate, works great now. My advice: keep calling dealerships until you find one that has done it.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Get AlfaOBD, a security bypass, and an OBD II reader for about $100 USD and you're set. It does not change your shift points. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show the step by step instructions. It's seems a little intimidating at first, but it's actually very easy. You can change a lot of different settings on your truck with AlfaOBD, so it's a bargain compared to the units that just program tire size.
Where do I buy this? And app shows up when I Google it. Lol

Bigdumps

Reaction score
I'm in the Columbus,OH area. I called 6 dealerships, they said it may or may not work but to "bring it in & they'd try". Found one dealership that said they could definitely do it/had done it before. Took it in, $125 to calibrate, works great now. My advice: keep calling dealerships until you find one that has done it.
I'll keep trying that. Maybe as time passes it will finally happen.did you notice a difference in your shifting, fuel economy display or anything when it was calibrated?

jbs45

Reaction score
I'll keep trying that. Maybe as time passes it will finally happen.did you notice a difference in your shifting, fuel economy display or anything when it was calibrated?
I have the 321 rear end with 35" tires, I do notice it downshifting more at highway speeds. Before it didn't seem to do it as much. It may just be in my head since I just got the 35s on like a week before I calibrated it lol.
Fuel economy is around 19mpg, I don't think it's changed since the calibration. I have the EcoDiesel obviously.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Finally got a dealer that said they can calibrate the speedo. But if it's off over 5km/he I need an after market device.

Lol I think I'll just get the Alfa obd or something.

Do any of these aftermarket items void warranty? Or which is easier to "uninstall" when going in for service.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Finally got a dealer that said they can calibrate the speedo. But if it's off over 5km/he I need an after market device.

Lol I think I'll just get the Alfa obd or something.

Do any of these aftermarket items void warranty? Or which is easier to "uninstall" when going in for service.
It's very unlikely that using AlfaOBD to program your speedo will void your warranty. You could always reset it back to the factory settings before taking it in for service if you're concerned.

Dgators50

Reaction score
Ok so here we go...

After MUCH frustration I decided to have my truck taken to the dealership for them to completely factory reset my computer and BCM since I thought my rough country speedo calibrator and ALFA OBD tool messed my truck up.... I wanted to start at square one again. So they brought it back to me and on the repair order it stated that when i was doing 61 MPH on the speedo, it was really 65 MPH real speed. I opened up my GPS app and found that my phone was not reading that, rather my speed was reading 61 on the speedo and 57 on real speed GPS... i was furious a this point with the dealership because I thought they were wrong and didn't reset anything....

HOWEVER before calling them and trying to complain or figure it out, for whatever reason I found out when I had my truck paired to my phone via BLUETOOTH, my GPS reading was off on my phone (even more off then it was supposed to be because of the theory of "larger tires" make the speedo off)!!!! I downloaded a dozen or more apps, all showing my speed was WAYYYYY more off then what it was supposed to be. Out of pure luck and no where else to turn, I used my wife's phone along with several others to check and all of theirs was always showing a much different reading then mine! , and showing correct GPS speed, so INDEED when you have larger tires installed, your speedo is off. Speedo read 61 when I was actually doing 65 MPH. ALL along my phone being paired to my truck via Bluetooth was throwing my GPS speed off on my phone APP (I cannot even begin to explain why!!!!) however once disconnected from my truck, I was getting accurate GPS readings again just like theirs were...

So that solved my issue of why my ALPHA OBD program kept wanting me to program smaller tire sizes in order to get closer to my GPS speed I was showing on my phone, because my phone GPS was way off!

So with that being said, WHEN YOU TRY TO CALIBRATE YOUR TRUCK VIA GPS APP, MAKE SURE IT IS DISCONNECTED FROM YOUR TRUCKS BLUETOOTH!!!

Now after all of that, once again I created a complete backup of my truck settings with ALFA OBD and wanted to try and calibrate it again, and guys let me tell you what, it worked BEAUTIFULLY!!!!! my speedo and GPS is right on the money!!!!! it was so dang easy to use and I feel it 100% updated the shift points on the truck because it now knows the correct speed it's going. it shifts smoothly and my MPG increased "on display readout" because it's reading the true amount of miles my truck is traveling and my "miles until empty" have been pretty close to spot on as well!

Talk about a frustrating several weeks of trying to figure this out, now knowing it was my stupid phone for whatever reason.

I CAN 100% CONFIRM THAT ALFA OBD WILL PROGRAM A 2022 RAM TRUCK'S tire sizes and recalibrate the speedometer! :):)

now if i can only figure out some of the other cool stuff it can do that would be awesome.

I did add "off road pages" and "performance pages" and got that to program successfully as well if that helps anyone.
Glad you got that sorted out! How did you get the performance pages? I have a 2022 Laramie with southwest and offroad group, have offroad pages already, bu the performance pages would be cool to.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I just updated mine today after a bit of messing around getting Alfa OBD installed and configured to communicate through the OBDLinx EX module.
I measured my Michelin Defender 305/45/R22 XL's at 2580 and updated the original value from 2481 to 2550 which another user had posted as his OEM setting. This may seem trivial but those worried about voiding warranty may feel better knowing that the setting is the same as OEM and shouldn't raise any red flags.
A quick run up the road shows me spot un up to 50mph so I'm happy enough. I'll test tomorrow on the interstate at higher speeds and post up where I end up.

For those who say to leave it if it's with 5mph which is close enough, come drive around Georgia for a week and see if you still have a license. :)
I drove home Friday night and used my GPS to check how far off I was and I was reading 2.5-3 MPH low at 80 MPH. I typically run 79 in a 70 zone and the cops never look at me twice.
I set my cruise at 79 based on the GPS reading which put the truck's speedometer at 77MPH. A guy rolled past me doing 2-3 MPH faster and got pulled over right in front of me.
When you run the edge like I do, the speedo needs to be spot on, if not a hair under for good measure.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you just got lucky that the cop went after the other guy. Even from the factory, the speedo isn't spot on, so pushing it the way you said you do, you will eventually be the guy pulled over.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I think you just got lucky that the cop went after the other guy. Even from the factory, the speedo isn't spot on, so pushing it the way you said you do, you will eventually be the guy pulled over.

456,000 miles in the last 7 years disagrees with your assumption. I have over a million miles logged behind the wheel and have developed a solid set of rules and instinct that serves me well. The last time I got a ticket, I screwed up and wasn’t following the rules.

In this situation, I was doing 79, he was doing 82-83. Had I not used the Speedo app and adjusted my set point, I have no doubt that It would have been me getting pulled over.

My last tires read slightly less than the actual speed so while I had my cruise set to 79, I was typically doing 78.5 to 79. I’ll end up with that same calibration when it’s all done.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Out for a rip today and the speedo is spot on. Cruise set at 79 on the interstate and the GPS is solid at 79 with a tick down to 78 every once in awhile but never saw 80 once in 20 miles.

So, I measured my Michelin Defender 305/45/R22’s at 2580mm and entered 2550 for my calibration circumference and I am right where I wanted to be.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
What's that old saying, eight your great nine your mine. I follow that so far and have been good. It's not going to help now though with louder exhaust.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I'll have to make another correction to my calibration settings.
Another user had mentioned a discrepency in his mobile device GPS reading while tethered to the vehicle and I found the same thing.
It's almost like the mobile device mirrors the vehicles speed rather than showing the GPS speed when connected.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
My dealer finally called and said they got whatever it was they needed in. So they will be calibrating my speedo on Monday. Will update with what they did and how they did it.

Jtbarrett88

Reaction score
Glad you got that sorted out! How did you get the performance pages? I have a 2022 Laramie with southwest and offroad group, have offroad pages already, bu the performance pages would be cool to.
WITH THE ALFAOBD TOOL AND SOFTWARE! IT'S A PRETTY COOL PAGE TO HAVE ON THERE. SUPER EASY TO DO!

Bigdumps

Reaction score
My dealer did the calibration using the hypertech inline calibrator. It's still off by 1/2km/r at 100+
However, if I set the cruise control at 100km/hr the speedo is correct, as is the analog speed. But the digital cruise speed is off, cruise set at 100(speedosall say 100) cruise says 97. which apparently has no "fix" as there are no modules that communicate with the abs module to correct it.

Users who are viewing this thread