5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 Speedometer Calibration issues

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I did my travel expenses this morning and even though my speedo is now spot on, my odometer is still off.
My commute home is normally 167 miles and it's been recording 174 since the new tires.
I have never reset my ABS module as the instructions indicate because it's always been greyed out but I'm thinking now that the odometer is tied to it and I need to force a reset.

Last edited:

Mminard2008

Reaction score
I'm in the Columbus,OH area. I called 6 dealerships, they said it may or may not work but to "bring it in & they'd try". Found one dealership that said they could definitely do it/had done it before. Took it in, $125 to calibrate, works great now. My advice: keep calling dealerships until you find one that has done it.
I’m also in OH, what dealership was it?

reeko0530

Reaction score
I did my travel expenses this morning and even though my speedo is now spot on, my odometer is still off.
My commute home is normally 167 miles and it's been recording 174 since the new tires.
I have never reset my ABS module as the instructions indicate because it's always been greyed out but I'm thinking now that the odometer is tied to it and I need to force a reset.
That is strange. You went up in diameter correct? If you have a larger diameter tire/wheel combo, you truck should travel further with less mileage being recorded on the actual odometer. If you go down in diameter for your tire/wheel combo, then you will have more mileage. Unless I have that screwed up lol. Did you ever get this corrected? I just went from 275/55/20 to 275/60/20 and my speedo reads about 2mph less than my actual speed.

Vdubbry

Reaction score
Ok so here we go...

After MUCH frustration I decided to have my truck taken to the dealership for them to completely factory reset my computer and BCM since I thought my rough country speedo calibrator and ALFA OBD tool messed my truck up.... I wanted to start at square one again. So they brought it back to me and on the repair order it stated that when i was doing 61 MPH on the speedo, it was really 65 MPH real speed. I opened up my GPS app and found that my phone was not reading that, rather my speed was reading 61 on the speedo and 57 on real speed GPS... i was furious a this point with the dealership because I thought they were wrong and didn't reset anything....

HOWEVER before calling them and trying to complain or figure it out, for whatever reason I found out when I had my truck paired to my phone via BLUETOOTH, my GPS reading was off on my phone (even more off then it was supposed to be because of the theory of "larger tires" make the speedo off)!!!! I downloaded a dozen or more apps, all showing my speed was WAYYYYY more off then what it was supposed to be. Out of pure luck and no where else to turn, I used my wife's phone along with several others to check and all of theirs was always showing a much different reading then mine! , and showing correct GPS speed, so INDEED when you have larger tires installed, your speedo is off. Speedo read 61 when I was actually doing 65 MPH. ALL along my phone being paired to my truck via Bluetooth was throwing my GPS speed off on my phone APP (I cannot even begin to explain why!!!!) however once disconnected from my truck, I was getting accurate GPS readings again just like theirs were...

So that solved my issue of why my ALPHA OBD program kept wanting me to program smaller tire sizes in order to get closer to my GPS speed I was showing on my phone, because my phone GPS was way off!

So with that being said, WHEN YOU TRY TO CALIBRATE YOUR TRUCK VIA GPS APP, MAKE SURE IT IS DISCONNECTED FROM YOUR TRUCKS BLUETOOTH!!!

Now after all of that, once again I created a complete backup of my truck settings with ALFA OBD and wanted to try and calibrate it again, and guys let me tell you what, it worked BEAUTIFULLY!!!!! my speedo and GPS is right on the money!!!!! it was so dang easy to use and I feel it 100% updated the shift points on the truck because it now knows the correct speed it's going. it shifts smoothly and my MPG increased "on display readout" because it's reading the true amount of miles my truck is traveling and my "miles until empty" have been pretty close to spot on as well!

Talk about a frustrating several weeks of trying to figure this out, now knowing it was my stupid phone for whatever reason.

I CAN 100% CONFIRM THAT ALFA OBD WILL PROGRAM A 2022 RAM TRUCK'S tire sizes and recalibrate the speedometer! :):)

now if i can only figure out some of the other cool stuff it can do that would be awesome.

I did add "off road pages" and "performance pages" and got that to program successfully as well if that helps anyone.
This is great news! I have been going nuts comparing my GPS speed to actual speed, and I think this is also what is causing my GPS/Nav through phone and carplay to go completely haywire. It seems like it started when I upgraded to 35" tires.

I am on the alfa OBD page though and have no idea what items I need to buy to get this connected up with my 22 RAM. I don't own any android devices, other than maybe a very very old Galaxy Tablet, if it even still works. What items do I need to purchase in order to do this? My dealer claims they can't reprogram the speedometer, no surprise there lol

GWW

Reaction score
Get AlfaOBD, a security bypass, and an OBD II reader for about $100 USD and you're set. It does not change your shift points. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show the step by step instructions. It's seems a little intimidating at first, but it's actually very easy. You can change a lot of different settings on your truck with AlfaOBD, so it's a bargain compared to the units that just program tire size.
Which security bypass cable? I bought one that had only 1 CAN Buss connector the white one and when I tried to use it it made my truck dash go crazy! I disconnected it and all went back to normal. I sent that one back.

GWW

Reaction score
Which security bypass cable? I bought one that had only 1 CAN Buss connector the white one and when I tried to use it it made my truck dash go crazy! I disconnected it and all went back to normal. I sent that one back.
I have a 2022 1500 longhorn 4x4 w/ecodiesel

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I bought this one. You do not need a SGW module with a CAN bus connector for the 1500's.

Eric J.

Reaction score
Here is the Mopar Vehicle Protection release on speedometer calibration for 2019-on Ram DT with oversized tires up to 35". I am getting new tires in a few weeks and will schedule this afterwards. Will update if I have any issues. If anyone else has been successful with this please respond for the sake of everyone interested.

Attachments

• 5th gen ram speedometer recalibration.pdf
    185.1 KB · Views: 57

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the Mopar Vehicle Protection release on speedometer calibration for 2019-on Ram DT with oversized tires up to 35". I am getting new tires in a few weeks and will schedule this afterwards. Will update if I have any issues. If anyone else has been successful with this please respond for the sake of everyone interested.
No issues on my 2020 with 35x12.50s

skyhawk42

Reaction score
No issues on my 2020 with 35x12.50s
Did the dealer do it or did you do it with Alfa? I did mine with Alfa and the truck speedo is spot on. My issue is that the Waze app works spot on as well, but when I connect my phone to the truck the Waze app reads an incorrect speed and goes haywire loosing its position on the map. I know it’s not the phone because I can plug it in on other vehicles with u connect and it works as it should, just not in my truck

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did the dealer do it or did you do it with Alfa? I did mine with Alfa and the truck speedo is spot on. My issue is that the Waze app works spot on as well, but when I connect my phone to the truck the Waze app reads an incorrect speed and goes haywire loosing its position on the map. I know it’s not the phone because I can plug it in on other vehicles with u connect and it works as it should, just not in my truck
I did it with my TazerDT. I have up on Waze long ago because it had issues in other vehicles. Wouldnt get notifications for turns until I was right at intersection and not enough time to slow down for turn. Driving on freeway it would constantly show me on side streets and constantly Recalculating route trying to get me back in the road so was already in.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I did it with my TazerDT. I have up on Waze long ago because it had issues in other vehicles. Wouldnt get notifications for turns until I was right at intersection and not enough time to slow down for turn. Driving on freeway it would constantly show me on side streets and constantly Recalculating route trying to get me back in the road so was already in.
That’s exactly what it’s doing, but seems to work great in other vehicles that have stock tires. I thought it was just not reading right with the change in tire size in the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread