5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RAM 1500 Lonestar 23 gallon to 33 gallon fuel tank upgrade

mavric

Reaction score
Good day all, I purchased my '22 1500 Lone Star just a few months ago and we did our first big towing vacation just last week. Truck is 4x4 5.7 etorque with 3.21 rear axle and a tiny little 23 gallon tank. My previous truck was a Ford F150 Lariat 5.0 with 36 gallon tank so it took some adjusting to filling up more often. Traveling out west we had a good headwind and hilly, my travel trailer is 6,000 lbs, payload was another 1,000 pounds tops. On our 500 mile trip to Big Bend we were averaging a miserable 7.5 mpg at 60-65 mph. Hence we had a serious problem with planning fuel stops in west texas, twice we were practically on fumes rolling into town. We don't tow long distance very often so when I purchased the RAM, I shrugged my shoulders at 23 gallon tank, big mistake. I really don't want to trade the truck....I did a little research....parts wise it looks like approx $1200 DIY to replace the 23g with 33g including hoses/pump. I did a 2024 Ram build with the 5.7 etorque option, the 33 gallon tank is an option for $495. I've watched a couple of youtube videos on swapping tanks on a RAM....looks very straightforward. I just want to confirm I'm not missing something and the 33 gallon tank WILL fit my truck (etorque with the battery pack somewhere and 67" bed). I'm sure hoping someone here has done it already and can share some wisdom. :)

Quint

Reaction score
Do a search as I remember reading about a bunch of people that did the gas tank swap

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Subbed as I am in the same boat. Due to lack of stock when I got mine, I begrudgingly took a 23gal truck and regretted it since.
Was planning to lease a 24 and now the market foiled that, so I am keeping my 21 and this has always been in the back of my head.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just want to confirm I'm not missing something and the 33 gallon tank WILL fit my truck (etorque with the battery pack somewhere and 67" bed). I'm sure hoping someone here has done it already and can share some wisdom. :)
Yes, the 33 gallon tank will fit just fine in your truck.

This is probably the thread that @Quint was referring to. Lots of reading if you choose to do so...

mavric

Reaction score
Yes, the 33 gallon tank will fit just fine in your truck.

This is probably the thread that @Quint was referring to. Lots of reading if you choose to do so...

Thanks! I found the thread earlier and bailed after the first 5 pages of posts....the good stuff is toward the end.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You will need something like AplhaOBD to reprogram for the larger tank. It's not technically necessary but your fuel gauge, distance to empty, etc. will be out of whack. Also there was talk of the third strap to secure the tank but that seems to be unnecessary

llando88

Reaction score
I am SO glad mine has the 33 gallon tank. I bought my '21 used...I found out after researching the VIN it had the tank option. We did one four month trip towing our Camper last summer, Florida to the UP of MI and back, 5,500 miles total, averaging 11.5 MPG actual miles/actual gallons. I have a Hemi 5.7 and 3.92 rear end. My trailer GVWR was 6,300#.

Good luck, hope the DIY goes smoothly. The larger tank (as you know) is totally worth it.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my '21 Laramie with the 33 Gallon Tank, But
I am still adding a 72 Gal Aux Tank in the Bed. So
105 Gallons of Diesel on Board.

Malodave

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hence we had a serious problem with planning fuel stops in west texas, twice we were practically on fumes rolling into town.

I know the feeling. Had the same issue when towing a trailer with a 2012 Ram with 23 gallon tank across Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico from St Louis to Tucson AZ. As a result, the 33 gallon tank option was a required option when I purchased my last 2 Rams. Only downside is the psychological damage from seeing the triple digits at the gas pump.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's unconscionable that the 33 gallon isn't standard with the option for a second tank on the other side of the truck

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's unconscionable that the 33 gallon isn't standard with the option for a second tank on the other side of the truck
I agree with you. I'd have a tank larger than 33 gallons if I could. But there are those who prefer the 23 gallon tank, although I find some of their stated reasons for wanting a smaller tank questionable.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a bolt in removeable tank in the bed (that has a fuel pump) and tap into the fuel line with a Y fitting? You could flip a switch and dump fuel into the tank as you was driving down the interstate. That's what I think I want to rig up.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of those 23 gallon truck owners here :( had my truck not been sitting on the lot locally 97% the way I spec’d one out I would of gotten the 33 gallon tank. I work out of state and drive all over the country the 23 is doable but better plan on stopping more frequently which hasn’t been an issue since its usually time to refuel my cup. Until I pulled one of works trailer back from Milwaukee to St Louis I was quickly reminded yeah I need to do the 33gal upgrade before to long especially if I get a travel trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know the feeling. Had the same issue when towing a trailer with a 2012 Ram with 23 gallon tank across Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico from St Louis to Tucson AZ. As a result, the 33 gallon tank option was a required option when I purchased my last 2 Rams. Only downside is the psychological damage from seeing the triple digits at the gas pump.
Just focus at the pump on how many gallons went into the truck...NEVER look up to see the dollar amount. That will burn your eyes

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it possible to have a bolt in removeable tank in the bed (that has a fuel pump) and tap into the fuel line with a Y fitting? You could flip a switch and dump fuel into the tank as you was driving down the interstate. That's what I think I want to rig up.
I am Welding two 3/8-NPT Bungs (Fuel & Vent) between the tank and the
filler neck. Drilling a hole on the inside bed wall for a grommet big enough
to led the two lines pass. I have a Transfer pump with wires going into the cab
and up to the Overhead console where I installed 6 switches for various things.
The LED Numbers are for a PSI Gauge for the On-Board air.

I did this on my '08 Bighorn with the bottom of the Tool box being the 36
Gallon AUX Tank. I was getting around 950 miles range with the Hemi.

There are DOT, EPA,and the Trucks Computer to take into consideration.
You need to use OEM or Better parts. I used Aircraft fittings and SS Braided lines.
You have to pull from the top of the tank, never from the bottom. If the Fuel
Gauge doesn't go up or down then a code fault will be set in the computer.
I can transfer on the fly as the Gauge works and no codes are set.

Malodave

SwitchInstalled.jpg
T

Quint

Reaction score
You will need something like AplhaOBD to reprogram for the larger tank. It's not technically necessary but your fuel gauge, distance to empty, etc. will be out of whack. Also there was talk of the third strap to secure the tank but that seems to be unnecessary
My 2015 had the 32 gallon tank, but like most, never was programmed for it. Therefore when my truck thought that it was near the end of the standard 26 gallon, it would say that I was low on fuel. It was actually nice because it meant that I really had a six gallon reserve tank. I would just do the math in my head about how many miles I could go before needing to refill.

The only real downside is when you are low on fuel and your remote start won't work because it thinks that you are too low on fuel, when you really have 6-8 gallons still in there.

Users who are viewing this thread