5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 Lineup Adds Rugged BackCountry Edition

Interesting - at first glance isn't this actually the Rebel?
Visually, the main differences I see are:
- Doesn't have the Rebel grill
- Doesn't have fender flares
- Doesn't have the faux-vented hood

No ventilated seats in either so I'd pick the Rebel if I wanted something more purpose built for mild off-roading. It just looks better IMHO.

I ordered one, so I’m super excited.

I came from a 2020 Laramie. I really didn’t care much about leather, ventilated seats, and the fancy chrome and leather throughout the interior. Just way to fancy for me, and I don’t need it.

This time, my must haves were pano sunroof, and rambox. Of course the dealer would try to put some of those in a higher trim, but I had absolutely no interest in paying extras for stuff I don’t like.

Just like when I ordered my 2016 Charger scat pack. People where ripping me a new one when I just got cloths seats, and no technology package. I’m glad I didn’t, and it’s been over 5 happy years. Cloths seats have never been an issue for me.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

This is the next iteration of the Built to Serve edition now that its run is over. Same interior, same tires, same wheels, same offroad package and protection, same sidestep, blacked out emblems.

Very curious how this package will compare:

Built-to-Serve Edition​

$2,795
  • Black "RAM" Grille Badge
  • 20-Inch x 9.0-Inch Aluminum Wheels
  • 275/55R20 OWL All-Terrain Tires
  • 9 Amplified Speakers with Subwoofer
  • Black Door Handles
  • Black Exterior-Badging
  • Black Front Bumper
  • Black Headlamp-Bezels
  • Black Onyx Interior Accent
  • Black Rear Bumper
  • Body-Color Fender Flares
  • "Built-to-Serve Edition" Instrument-Panel Badge
  • Center Console Parts Module
  • Dual-Exhaust with Black Tips
  • Electronic Locking Rear Axle
  • Front Extra-Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers
  • Front LED Fog Lamps
  • Front Suspension Skid-Plate
  • Fuel Tank Skid-Plate
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Hill-Descent Control
  • LED Reflector Headlamps
  • LED Tail Lamps
  • Black Tubular Side Steps by Mopar®
  • Front and Rear Rubber Floor Mats by Mopar®
  • 8-Way Power Driver Seat
  • Premium Cloth / Vinyl Bucket Seats
  • Rear Extra-Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers
  • Steering Gear Skid-Plate
  • Tow Hooks
  • Transfer-Case Skid-Plate
  • "US Flag" Decal

Last edited:
This is the next iteration of the Built to Serve edition now that its run is over. Same interior, same tires, same wheels, same offroad package and protection, same sidestep, blacked out emblems.

Built-to-Serve Edition​

$2,795
  • Black Door Handles
  • Black Exterior-Badging
  • Black Front Bumper
  • Black Headlamp-Bezels
  • Black Rear Bumper
  • Front LED Fog Lamps
  • Fuel Tank Skid-Plate
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Hill-Descent Control
  • LED Tail Lamps
  • Tow Hooks
  • "US Flag" Decal

For the record, the wheels are definitely not the same as what’s on the BTS. BTS comes with 20’s where the Backcountry comes with 18’s.

And the running boards are the same that come on all trim levels of the 1500 (they weren’t BTS-specific).

A little better look inside the BackCountry. Excited to see mine in person one day. Hopefully the link I copied works.

I took a bunch of snapshots from different site on my phone on this. Let me try to upload some of them.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Same show, just a different group talking about the back country, GT and the limited 2022 models

Watch "I Get HANDS ON With The 2022 Ram Rebel 1500 G/T & Laramie G/T — Is It A Mini-TRX?" on YouTube

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Built-to-Serve Edition

$2,795
  • Black Door Handles
  • Black Exterior-Badging
  • Black Front Bumper
  • Black Headlamp-Bezels
  • Black Rear Bumper
  • Front LED Fog Lamps
  • Fuel Tank Skid-Plate
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Hill-Descent Control
  • LED Tail Lamps
  • Tow Hooks
  • "US Flag" Decal
Here is the backcountry

• 18-inch black wheels
  • black tu-tone exterior paint black badging,
  • exhaust tips,
  • headlamp bezels,
  • mirrors and running boards.
  • A body-color grille surround
  • tonneau cover also are included
  • 4x4 Off-Road Group, which includes tow hooks, skid plates for the front suspension, transfer case, power steering and fuel tank, rear electronic locking axle, off-road calibrated shocks, hill-descent control and all-terrain tires
  • Bed Utility Group, which includes upper adjustable tie downs,
  • bed lighting and spray-in bed liner.
  • black interior with bucket seats.
  • 7-inch touchscreen,
  • BackCountry badge on the instrument panel
  • all-weather slush mats from Mopar

2022 Big Horn Pricing not official but the 2021 base MSRP 38,435 Estimated. The Backcountry base of 40,485 Unofficial not counting the shipping. So an estimated Special Edition price for the "package" of approximately $2,050 from what I can find. This is based upon a few articles with one indicating a price for the Edition but others saying pricing not yet known for both the Bighorn base and the Special Edition price. So, the confidence level on this is sketchy.

The big difference I see where the Built to serve might have things the Backcountry might not are the LED light package, the Alpine stereo system and "regular" 8.4 touchscreen, 20 inch wheels (this could be individually subjective).

The backcountry from an advantage standpoint is the bed utility system with spray in bedliner and the tonneau cover. That, however can be a subjective. After market spray in bedliners and tonneaus are arguably as good or better and potentially less expensive or equal. And easy to do. It's disadvantage is that it has the smaller 7 inch infotainment/radio screen almost forcing you to buy the 8.4 inch screen at least the basic one if not Nav. AND in my opinion not having the LED light package is the most important thing the Backcountry does NOT have.

Both will have the "offroad package" skidplates etc. Many of the differences are subjective as in the Backcountry two tone paint, interior color of black vs diesel gray with colored stitching in Built to Serves.

The Backcountry will have the 18 inch vs 20 inch wheels. That is to a degree a subjective thing IF you are targeting off road. It appears that rear ends of 3.92 and 3.21 are a choice in both.

The biggest pitfall I see in comparison is that the Back Country does not have the LED light package that the Built to Serve has. Many of the other things are subjective but the Alpine sound system is nice and the 8.4 screen I couldn't live without. But, each individual might have an opinion on what they like. The biggest plus on the Backcountry are the bed management system, spray in bedliner and tonneau cover. Those could be subjective though also.

So, for me, as I had a personal requirement of the LED light package and the Built to Serve had that while having most of what the Backcountry has. So, if the pricing is roughly what I estimated above and you add the LED light package, you are going to be in the same "Package Pricing" range as the Built to Serve. At that point, for me, the BackCountry's rear bed additions put it in the lead on additions ASSUMING you get the Bighorn Level 2 EVIC AND an 8.4 touch screen "radio." If you have to add the 8.4 radio, then the Built to Serve has the advantage imho or it is a wash if you have to add a spray in bedliner to a built to serve and a tonneau. It depends upon what you want at that point.

The LED lighting is a must check box for me. The 8.4 infotainment is a close second and the Alpine sound system is very nice.

I'm going to give the edge to the Built to Serve package. There are still some of them out there, but having had a 2015 Outdoorsman, I sure can see the attraction of this addition particularly at 2K and if you don't care about some things I do and are very practical in your approach.

Last edited:
Here is the backcountry

• 18-inch black wheels
  • black tu-tone exterior paint black badging,
  • exhaust tips,
  • headlamp bezels,
  • mirrors and running boards.
  • A body-color grille surround
  • tonneau cover also are included
  • 4x4 Off-Road Group, which includes tow hooks, skid plates for the front suspension, transfer case, power steering and fuel tank, rear electronic locking axle, off-road calibrated shocks, hill-descent control and all-terrain tires
  • Bed Utility Group, which includes upper adjustable tie downs,
  • bed lighting and spray-in bed liner.
  • black interior with bucket seats.
  • 7-inch touchscreen,
  • BackCountry badge on the instrument panel
  • all-weather slush mats from Mopar
7-inch touchscreen? Typo perhaps?

I ordered my BackCountry with the 8.4 screen, alpine, LED premium light group, technology group and Blindspot. Blindspot and LED lights were a must for me Kinda wish I would have grabbed the 12 inch screen but oh well.

I don't have the time (or the willpower) to find one of the original articles I saw on the BackCountry, but I thought it had mentioned a 7" screen in the instrument cluster. If you do a quick Google search on the new BackCountry, everyone is reporting that the "infotainment" screen is 7". I'm not sure which is right, but it does seem odd that they'd downsize from 8.4" to 7" for the Uconnect screen...if that's indeed correct.

7" screen in the instrument cluster.
Exactly, they are referring to the instrument cluster being 7" (which I believe is the largest one). There isn't even an option for a 7" touchscreen. It's 8.4, 8.4 Nav and 12 Nav.

Exactly, they are referring to the instrument cluster being 7" (which I believe is the largest one). There isn't even an option for a 7" touchscreen. It's 8.4, 8.4 Nav and 12 Nav.
That's true, but the display in the gauge cluster isn't a touchscreen. The list I quoted says "7-inch touchscreen".

So can't you already buy a 1500 with the Off Road Group and a Bed Upgrade Package?

So can't you already buy a 1500 with the Off Road Group and a Bed Upgrade Package?

Sure you can get those separate. But you won’t get:

Side steps $695
Bed cover $695
Floor mats $195

Plus technically it’s also a night edition package with black out rims, headlights, tail lights, blacked out exhaust tips, deluxe cloth seats from the rebel…that is like $2k

It’s more compatible package to the built to serve package. Just replace the LED headlights with the Bed cover, and bed spray on liner.

Sure you can get those separate. But you won’t get:

Side steps $695
Bed cover $695
Floor mats $195

Plus technically it’s also a night edition package with black out rims, headlights, tail lights, blacked out exhaust tips, deluxe cloth seats from the rebel…that is like $2k

It’s more compatible package to the built to serve package. Just replace the LED headlights with the Bed cover, and bed spray on liner.

Seems like stuff that will get upgraded anyway. My black rims a cooler than stock. The exhaust is getting upgraded too. I have all black badges, these are a couple hundred on ebay.

Floormats? Yea, got those too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back