5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 Limited Night Edition Lifted: 35s on 18s w/ air ride

Ceri

Reaction score
So I ran over a broken up, sharp edged curb the other day and sliced right into the sidewall of the factory Pirelli 22s that came on my Limited. I liked the factory rims okay for a street truck, but turned misfortune (and bad driving) into an opportunity to lift it and get some bigger rubber on.

I went with:
BDS 4" system for the air ride w/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series shock upgrade
18" Method 305 NV Double Black 18x9, 6x5.5, -12mm offset
35x12.5r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

My last Ram was an '05 1500 which had a 3" body lift, 18" XD Rockstar 3s, and 35x12.5r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers too. I've got a little experience running around on bigger tires, etc. This BDS system, if any change, seems a little more controlled than the stock air ride. It's barely noticeable. The rear end feels a little stiffer maybe as I roll up into my steep driveway, but I'm also rolling on new rubber that will likely break in a little bit when I get a few hundred miles on them.

1703955535876.png

1703955743636.png 1703955838002.png

1703955804212.png

Centerline of wheel to front fender ranges from 40.75" in Entry/Exit, to 42.875" in Normal, to 44.875" in Offroad 2. The rear wheel is about 1/16" to 1/8" higher than the front in all three, so very level.

I picked up an AlfaOBD and the security bypass module to set my own tire size. It's a little complicated, mostly because there are so many things you can play with in there and it doesn't sort alphabetically (at least not that I could find). But I got that set and reset the ABS module, cleared any codes, etc. and tested it at a local residential speed trap sensor thing and it's within an acceptable tolerance. The meter read 40 when I was bouncing between 39 and 40 mph.

I can't decide yet if I want to replace the factory fender flares with something pocket style, like the Bushwhackers, and if I did, whether I would paint them to match or leave them black. The Limited looks pretty clean with the factory flares, and it's a rolling palace, so going "full offroad" might betray the interior a little bit. Thoughts?

I'm relapsing on the mod bug. I got my last truck to it's final state within about 6 months and barely touched any modifications for 6 years after. I've already done the audio and the suspension on this one, and I've got shopping carts all over the internet for performance mods. I'd have to kick myself if I pull the trigger on a supercharger, considering I was test driving TRXs before buying this. I guess my immunity to mod-fluenza ran out when I signed papers on the new one. :)

Attachments

• 1703955470904.png
    1703955470904.png
    723.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

jonnygobig

Reaction score
Really clean, color scheme and stance is perfect, you will still have handling but plenty of clearance.

I am running 38s as well, healthy 10% offset on speedometer…just haven’t had time to get into it. I just have to know 80 mph is 90+ish mph…but now that CA GOV wants speed cameras instead of fixing pot holes… I have to fix it or risk big tickets and points. I appreciate your passdown detail!

dajogejr

Reaction score
Dude.. I hate you.. why you gotta post that and make me think.. LOL.
Seriously, that looks sick. Nice work man.. very nice.
Frankly, and I’m gonna get hammered here probably, that’s a mall crawler.
It’s too damn pretty to get dirty/muddy. I got a 15 wrangler on 35s for mud/off road fun.
My 23 limited is my country boy city Cadillac.

Ceri

Reaction score
Dude.. I hate you.. why you gotta post that and make me think.. LOL.
Seriously, that looks sick. Nice work man.. very nice.
Frankly, and I’m gonna get hammered here probably, that’s a mall crawler.
It’s too damn pretty to get dirty/muddy. I got a 15 wrangler on 35s for mud/off road fun.
My 23 limited is my country boy city Cadillac.

Most of the crawling will most certainly not occur at the mall, but I'm with you. There's definitely some urban cowboy going on here. Would it help if I said I take it to home depot at least twice a month? :)

My folks live out in rural parts, and we end up driving around some rougher country occasionally. I haven't bottomed out on the backroads and through the meadows, but the lift and the Nittos will give me some confidence to do dumb stuff. There's a bit more "Geronimo!" off the running boards that my wife's getting used to when I don't lower it to entry/exit.

dajogejr

Reaction score
It’s a midwestern’s thing. Mall Crawler, Pavement pounder, etc. Home Depot bus works too LOL.
Great looking truck.

spaightlabs

Reaction score
i suspect you ran it over just so you could have a reason (excuse) to get what ya wanted on the truck!

it was worth it! looks fantastic.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I ran over a broken up, sharp edged curb the other day and sliced right into the sidewall of the factory Pirelli 22s that came on my Limited. I liked the factory rims okay for a street truck, but turned misfortune (and bad driving) into an opportunity to lift it and get some bigger rubber on.

I went with:
BDS 4" system for the air ride w/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series shock upgrade
18" Method 305 NV Double Black 18x9, 6x5.5, -12mm offset
35x12.5r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

My last Ram was an '05 1500 which had a 3" body lift, 18" XD Rockstar 3s, and 35x12.5r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers too. I've got a little experience running around on bigger tires, etc. This BDS system, if any change, seems a little more controlled than the stock air ride. It's barely noticeable. The rear end feels a little stiffer maybe as I roll up into my steep driveway, but I'm also rolling on new rubber that will likely break in a little bit when I get a few hundred miles on them.

View attachment 173598

View attachment 173599 View attachment 173601

View attachment 173600

Centerline of wheel to front fender ranges from 40.75" in Entry/Exit, to 42.875" in Normal, to 44.875" in Offroad 2. The rear wheel is about 1/16" to 1/8" higher than the front in all three, so very level.

I picked up an AlfaOBD and the security bypass module to set my own tire size. It's a little complicated, mostly because there are so many things you can play with in there and it doesn't sort alphabetically (at least not that I could find). But I got that set and reset the ABS module, cleared any codes, etc. and tested it at a local residential speed trap sensor thing and it's within an acceptable tolerance. The meter read 40 when I was bouncing between 39 and 40 mph.

I can't decide yet if I want to replace the factory fender flares with something pocket style, like the Bushwhackers, and if I did, whether I would paint them to match or leave them black. The Limited looks pretty clean with the factory flares, and it's a rolling palace, so going "full offroad" might betray the interior a little bit. Thoughts?

I'm relapsing on the mod bug. I got my last truck to it's final state within about 6 months and barely touched any modifications for 6 years after. I've already done the audio and the suspension on this one, and I've got shopping carts all over the internet for performance mods. I'd have to kick myself if I pull the trigger on a supercharger, considering I was test driving TRXs before buying this. I guess my immunity to mod-fluenza ran out when I signed papers on the new one. :)
Looks really good.
I think it‘s Maryland that won‘t allow tires to stick outside the fenders.

Yep, “besttirereviews.com” site has an article about states that won’t allow it.
Begin quotation: “In Maryland, the rules regarding tire stick-out are relatively straightforward. According to the Maryland Vehicle Law, tires must not extend beyond the fenders on any vehicle. This regulation aims to maintain safety on the roads by preventing tire-related accidents and reducing the risk of damage to other vehicles. So, if you’re planning to customize your tires in Maryland, be sure to keep them within the boundaries of your fenders to comply with the law.” End of copied portion.

Ceri

Reaction score
i suspect you ran it over just so you could have a reason (excuse) to get what ya wanted on the truck!

it was worth it! looks fantastic.

Don't tell the wife! :)

Looks really good.

Yep, “besttirereviews.com” site has an article about states that won’t allow it.
Begin quotation: “In Maryland, the rules regarding tire stick-out are relatively straightforward. According to the Maryland Vehicle Law, tires must not extend beyond the fenders on any vehicle. This regulation aims to maintain safety on the roads by preventing tire-related accidents and reducing the risk of damage to other vehicles. So, if you’re planning to customize your tires in Maryland, be sure to keep them within the boundaries of your fenders to comply with the law.” End of copied portion.
I wonder if fender flares would allow for wider tires in Maryland? Luckily I'm in Texas, and haven't heard of anything like that. Emissions inspections make long tubes a little more complicated down here.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like this a lot. I am hesitant to mess with the luxury ride that is the Limited but I do sometimes miss the rugged look and slight ride height difference I had on my Rebel.

Ceri

Reaction score
Like this a lot. I am hesitant to mess with the luxury ride that is the Limited but I do sometimes miss the rugged look and slight ride height difference I had on my Rebel.

I've put around 100 miles on it now. I'd say it's slightly stiffer than the factory ride, but only slightly. That stiffness to me feels like better handling/planting. Less rebounding over bumps but also less body roll side-to-side. It takes road irregularities more comfortably than the stock air suspension did, but on severe grade changes (like my steep driveway with a big breakover angle) there's a little more "impact" felt.

I also just did some measuring on my second driveway, which is a lot flatter than my garage, and I appear to be coming in right at 83" in Normal (this is not offroad package, which sounds like it would be 1" taller than mine). I'd expected to be at 83.5" before the lift based on some YouTube videos. I'm heading downtown to my parking garage with a tape measure to check my clearance now, but I'm encouraged that since I'm 1/2" shorter than expected, all should be good. My garage is marked as 7'-0" (84"), and it has plastic tubes that my old '05's antenna shark fin would barely graze at certain entry angles. Fingers crossed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks really good.

I have never head of any law like that and I live in MA which is pretty restrictive.

This is what my state's law says, if you have 4wd there is no law on stick out.

General Law - Part I, Title XIV, Chapter 90, Section 19
Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use.

I wouldn't worry about you're tires sticking out in any state. No one is going to enforce that.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You'd be surprised... I'd have to find the thread but a couple years ago on a landscape forum a guy posted that he was ticketed for his oversized truck tires. In Maryland. Upon further reading it was a “secondary” infraction meaning he wasn't pulled over for that initially. Just a guess, he cop’d an attitude and guess what?

The same forum said that the problem is more with the annual vehicle inspections, especially Pa.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised... I'd have to find the thread but a couple years ago on a landscape forum a guy posted that he was ticketed for his oversized truck tires. In Maryland. Upon further reading it was a “secondary” infraction meaning he wasn't pulled over for that initially. Just a guess, he cop’d an attitude and guess what?

The same forum said that the problem is more with the annual vehicle inspections, especially Pa.
Secondary infractions can be anything.
In MA ANY AFTERMARKET lights are illegal. differnet color LEDs, light bars, clearance lighting. If it's not on your truck from the factory it's illegal.
It will never stop you from getting an inspection sticker though.
A cop can ticket you for anything they want even if it's perfectly fine, and then when you go to court the judge\magistrate laughs and throws it out. I had my magistrate arguing with a state cop about "aftermarket lights" and the cop kept saying "well that's the law" and she said it was redictulas and threw the case out despite "the law". Almost everything is illegal if you look far enough into it, hell of a way to live you life worried about every single pointless thing.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
There are a few mods I don't care for, the "Carolina Squat" being one.
There's 3 trucks in my neighborhood that have that mod, of course they drive around at night fully elevated with headlights providing the international space station with illumination and their beer can mufflers sounding like 3rd graders in a farting contest.

Those are illegal too but LEOs don't seem to care in our area. There's a SC law against it due to a kid getting hit (killed) and the driver never saw him.

Talk about secondary infractions, limo tint all around with about 50% on the windshield, tires out a good 6"+ throwing gravel a,t the car behind, non existent mufflers etc...

Users who are viewing this thread