5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn - Rear tail lights quit

FLASH22

Reaction score
I am hoping some can help. The rear tail lights quit working. Brake lights and turn signals work. Only the running tail lights don't. There is no fuse that is clearly marked or identifiable for these. Bulbs are good. Ground is good otherwise the brake lights would not work. So has anyone had this and solved it? I am perplexed to say the least.
Thanks in advance

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Halogen taillights? If so, maybe the tail light filament is burned out. Might as well upgrade to LEDs! I like Lasfit LED bulbs. They are brighter and don’t cause hyper flash or throw error codes. Hope this helps.

FLASH22

Reaction score
Ok, so I had a 2018 eco diesel and drove it 100,000 miles without a single problem! Now the 2022 Covid special, delivery Dec 2021 has this crazy tail light failure. I ordered the LED bulbs but the halogen filaments are intact. Brake light integral filaments work. Noticed the license plate light is working, I then tested the trailer flat plug and the tail light prong is live. So without further chase I am going to crawl under the back and tap into the trailer plug wire. Truck has just over 37,000 miles on it - so just out of warranty! I love this truck for the 34 miles per gallon 3500 mile road trip I took over the summer driving with the cruise control and 5 over the speed limits. Now through wisdom of our dictator the eco diesel is gone. May have to switch over to the rumored KIA diesel truck for the next one.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I had a 2018 eco diesel and drove it 100,000 miles without a single problem! Now the 2022 Covid special, delivery Dec 2021 has this crazy tail light failure. I ordered the LED bulbs but the halogen filaments are intact. Brake light integral filaments work. Noticed the license plate light is working, I then tested the trailer flat plug and the tail light prong is live. So without further chase I am going to crawl under the back and tap into the trailer plug wire. Truck has just over 37,000 miles on it - so just out of warranty! I love this truck for the 34 miles per gallon 3500 mile road trip I took over the summer driving with the cruise control and 5 over the speed limits. Now through wisdom of our dictator the eco diesel is gone. May have to switch over to the rumored KIA diesel truck for the next one.
If the wiring is good then most likely the bcm, it controls all the lights.

FLASH22

Reaction score
I was wrong! Whipped out the voltage tester and found current to the tail lights, Wife's common sense prevailed. She asked why would the license plate lights work and the trailer plug work? Are they not both back there as well? Geez, I felt like a complete stooge! Here is the completely odd thing. Both bulbs appeared to have intact elements. Changed them out with led bubs and presto they now work. Her response was that we didn't know how long they were out and one could have gone before the other. 2 year old truck that is not driven much at night so wear and tear could not have come into play. "COVID BULBS" is the only explanation I have.

Carmack11

Reaction score
I had the same situation. Standard tail lights (Not LED). I was on my way to work the other morning and got pulled over by a police officer for no tail lights. I started looking into it and came across this thread. I was skeptical that both bulbs burnt out at the same time but thought it was a cheap enough to try and replace them both to see if that was the problem. So my owners manual says the brake/tail light is a 7440LL bulb. This was not the case. The 7440LL is a single element bulb and did not fit in the socket. I called my local dealership and talked to the parts department and they suggested trying the 7443 bulbs. They worked and fixed the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread