5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 ram 1500 back country, Has anyone done a curt 31090 front hitch install while keeping factory recovery hooks?

spelunk68

Reaction score
Hello,
Got my back country yesterday, my 4th gen had a receiver in the front I used all the time to place trailers in tight spots. I have also picked up a 12k lb winch and plate for using with the receiver tubes so would want to use the winch in the front configuration when offroad as well. In the install guide they say remove the tow hooks and return to owner (stupid) if present. Has anyone installed this while retaining tow/recovery hooks, is it possible? link to 31090 receiver
Thank you

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I inquired about this very thing and they said it won't fit. But we're a resourceful bunch. It looked to me like it mounts to the same holes as the tow loops. So you might need spacers and/or longer bolts or ???

spelunk68

Reaction score
I inquired about this very thing and they said it won't fit. But we're a resourceful bunch. It looked to me like it mounts to the same holes as the tow loops. So you might need spacers and/or longer bolts or ???
maybe I will just get it and report back

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have other accessories ordered that take precedence over spending money for something that might be adaptable, so I backed away from it. I'll be interested to hear whatever you learn.

spelunk68

Reaction score
I have other accessories ordered that take precedence over spending money for something that might be adaptable, so I backed away from it. I'll be interested to hear whatever you learn.
this is a very important option for me and I talked to AmericanTrucks and they said they will take it back if it can not be worked out and it also needs an install manual so I may have a guide as well as to what I did with pictures

spelunk68

Reaction score
Go ahead and order it!!! :)

It was easy, all I have left is to cut the hole in the fascia but install was easy, I even kept the factory hardware because they looked a lot better than the supplied stuff and were actually long enough. You will loose about a half inch of height on the tow hooks but they still fit fine in the cut outs, I can even get a finger between the bottom of the tow hook and the bottom of the cut out. What I did was remove the larger bolt on the front of each tow hook then dropped them down with the smaller but LONG bolt in the back of the tow hook, take one side and (I did this just with my fingers) and drop the tow hook down enough you can swing it out of the way, the other side just needs to be loose on the smaller bolt. Then put the hitch mounting tabs against the frame and bolt it up tight with the larger bolt (this is where you define the position of the tow hook side to site, I just used the old witness marks) then drive the smaller long back bolts home. I torqued the larger bolts to 130 and the smaller to 88-ish. Then follow the directions for installing the front to back hanger, I found it easier to get the bolt in by dropping the skid plate first. I also found the supplied carriage bolt was able to bite into the hole in the cross member but you could probably just use the nut and bolt if you want to, easy to get wrench in. You probably do not need this detailed directions but writing them in case someone in the future may find it helpful. 2022 backcountry bighorn crew.

NOTE: I do not know if this is safe if you are using the hitch to tow your truck behind a camper. My use is for the winch and also ease of putting trailers into tough spots which this is more than adequate.

IMG_3157.JPEG IMG_3162.JPEG IMG_3160.JPEG IMG_3159.JPEG IMG_3158.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread